It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time-Lapse footage of a Gravity Wave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I found this Time-Lapse web-cam footage called gravity wave.

www.livevideo.com...

This is incredible to me. Are there many gravitational anomolies like this on our Planet??? what causes it?

amazing footage anywho

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
As the name implies, atmospheric gravity waves form when buoyancy pushes air up, and gravity pulls it back down.

[edit on 11-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
YA I dont buy that either. Seems to be just a cool weather trick. There is no such thing as a gravity wave as proven by science yet.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
any ideas as to what it is then?? you think its been manipulated??

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I was wrong and edit my post...I cheated.
Google

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 11-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Intresting. I had no idea such a phenomenon existed. Only thing is, in the explaination given above, it states that the waves form over water which the one in the vid clearly has not. hmmmm.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
check the wikipedia link I added.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is a very interesting phenomenon. It isn't quite what it sounds like if you see the Wiki link. This is more of a meteorlogical oddity than anything quantum.

Interesting nonetheless when considered against the chain of cause and effect, especially with aircraft.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana
YA I dont buy that either. Seems to be just a cool weather trick. There is no such thing as a gravity wave as proven by science yet.

Umm, if you mean Gravitational wave then you're still wrong(Google up Gravity Probe B), but Gravity Wave is a completely different(and very misnamed) phenomenon.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
These time lapse pictures look like normal cloud movement. I dont understand where the "gravity wave" comes into play ?

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
You see similar things in the western U.S. Locally they are called mountain waves, caused by fronts passing over mountain ranges and the oscillations continue for hundreds of miles. Not dissimilar to a rock in a stream causing waves downstream.

Very common when strong Pacific storms pass over the Sierra Nevada and Cascade ranges. The waves are visible across the Great Basin.

It doesn't look like mountains are nearby in that video. Perhaps a frontal occlusion triggered it?

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
I found this Time-Lapse web-cam footage called gravity wave.

Ya learn something new every day. While I would never have called these atmospheric waves "gravity waves", apparently this is the correct technical term for them. I agree that it's a very misleading name.

Here's one page on them:
sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu...

...and yes, they're actually pretty common.

[edit on 12-5-2007 by Byrd]

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Yes, I agree, I think it's a bit of an unfortunate terminology.

Contrast a 'Gravitational Wave'

en.wikipedia.org...

...which is "a fluctuation in the curvature of spacetime which propagates as a wave" [Wiki] (this has only been detected indirectly)

The former is a concept in fluids (the atmosphere has properties of such) or hydrodynamics.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The name is very misleading, especially on forum such as ATS....

Gravity waves (as described by this thread) are in fact very common. In fact, normal ocean waves can be said to be a form of gravity waves. When a fluid (sea water or a cloud that behaves in a fluid manner) moves up into an area of lower density (the air above the ocean or the air above a cloud), gravity pulls it back down -- since that's what gravity does -- creating wave-like oscillations. It's extremely common in the ocean, but less common in the atmosphere. when it happens in the atmosphere, it's basically the clouds acting like ocean waves.

[edit on 12-5-2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Cool, I always saw these things before, but would never venture to guess that it would be called a Gravity Wave.

Shattered OUT...

top topics

join