It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Host Species For H5N1 Identified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

An eight-year surveillance study, which included more than 36,000 wild migratory birds tested for low pathogenic avian influenza, details new data on host species, prevalence, and temporal and geographical variation of avian influenza in wild migratory birds in Europe.

In a new study published online in the open-access journal PLoS Pathogens, Dr. Vincent J. Munster, of Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, and colleagues identify new host species for avian influenza A virus (H5N1) and provide important information on the distinctions between the ecology and epidemiology of various global strains of the virus.

Seven previously unknown host species for H5N1 were identified, including four species of goose and the common gull, and dabbling ducks were found to harbor all but two known influenza virus subtypes.

SOURCE:
PhysOrg.com

I don't really have much to say about this, it's good that we know these things though.

Comments, opinions?

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Yes, I agree with you^_^v Its good to know these things.=]I wonder how long it till be until it mutates cuz they r constantly changing O.O' worried!

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I KNEW IT! This is how the world is going to end... mutant bird invasion!!!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Birds and mamals and humans .. some results from tests done here in pdf ....... Cats ..

Influenza A Virus (H5N1) Infection in Cats Causes Systemic Disease with Potential Novel Routes of Virus Spread within and between Hosts ..

Our results on the pathogenesis and replication of H5N1 virus in experimentally infected cats has several implications for the clinical and epidemiological management of the ongoing H5N1 virus outbreak. First, the severity of the lesions associated with H5N1 virus replication outside the respiratory tract could partly explain the increased pathogenicity of this virus for mammalian hosts, including humans. If so, supportive measures in patients with severe disease should be directed not only to the respiratory tract but also to other organ systems. Second, the potential for H5N1 virus to enter mammalian hosts via the intestine provides a possible explanation for how this virus could present clinically in absence of respiratory tract disease, as suggested by the recent findings in two patients with encephalitis and diarrhea.15 Therefore, H5N1 virus infection needs to be included in the differential diagnosis of a broader range of clinical presentations than is currently done. Finally, the possibility for the spread of H5N1 virus via feces in mammals needs to be taken into account in the epidemiological control of H5N1 virus infections. The above measures may limit the risk of H5N1 virus developing into a pandemic influenza virus.

www.asip.org...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I see this is a study done on migratory birds in Europe. In my opinion, geese could be an especially bad problem in the U.S. Midwest. We have residential subdivisions with man made ponds where many geese do not even migrate. Their feces are a significant problem in these areas and also on golf courses. Gulls of course, are everywhere, and they, too, are defecating machines.

Interesting stuff.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Feathered hosts to the tail waggers ... lets not forget mans best friend .

Avian Influenza (H5N1) Susceptibility and Receptors in Dogs

Our results demonstrate that dogs are susceptible to infection with avian influenza (H5N1) virus and can shed virus from the nose without showing apparent signs of disease. Moreover, receptors for avian (H5N1) virus are present not only in the lower part of the respiratory tract of dogs but also in their trachea and nose, which are potential portals of entry for the virus.

www.cdc.gov...

new topics

top topics

join