It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What gives with those popular Idiot's Guides and Books for Dummies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I always wondered about the titles of thoes simplified Self-help books called either The Complete Idiot's Guide, or the"_______for Dummies".

Now granted, they are intended for the beginner who has no background on a given topic. What I don't get is how are they so popular despite their insulting titles. The terms "Dummy" and "Idiot" are used as a nasty way of saying someone isn't capable of understanding things in a normal way. In fact the term "Idiot" is actually a derogratory term for people who have mental retardation. I personally dislike the use of that term even within that context, because it is used as an insualt!

What Self-Respecting Person would pick up a book whose title implies that the reader of the book is Stupid and mentally incapible?:shk:

Tim

(MOD EDIT: Corrected spelling in title)

[edit on 5/15/2007 by thelibra]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I don't know but I do know that George Bush Jr. will be planning his autobiography to be titled. "US Presidency for Idiots...A Dummies Guide to Ruining the Free World."

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I think it might be because the vast majority of Americans know they're really idiots on some level so even though it's insulting they aren't bothered by it.

Just a theory, BTW. Excuse me, just a hypothesis.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I don't really get it either. I have a book entitle "SQL for Smarties."

That seems much better

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
I don't know but I do know that George Bush Jr. will be planning his autobiography to be titled. "US Presidency for Idiots...A Dummies Guide to Ruining the Free World."

The wonders of how some people can twist any thread into an anti-Bush screed never cease.

Can't you people think of anything else?

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Yeah, I hear you. I always thought this was rediculous too.. how self-deprecating.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I always look at the titles and think, "Why would I want to do that like an idiot?" The idiots guide to Stocks. Great, I can learn to trade like a completely idiot! I bet I'll make tons of money!

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It gets worse, I once picked up one of those idiot guides and still didn't understand what the hell it was all about, even after reading it many times...... Do they have guides for morons???

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I had a PC tech working for me that must have brought in the WHOLE technical series of DUMMY books to work.
It was a few years ago.

Windows NT for Dummies, Unix for Dummies, Internet for Dummies, etc..etc..
HE had them all lined up on his desk, his little library for Dummies.

It was a little embarrassing, to say the least.
I finally told him to keep the books in his storage cabinet, or take them home and put them back with the rest of his library:

"How to find your way back to work every day, For Dummies"
"Shoe tying, For Dummies"
"Life, for Dummies"
And the one on Ventriliquism, "Dummies, for Dummies"

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Well, if you're really interested-

In November 1991, DOS For Dummies by Dan Gookin initially met with skepticism — most bookstore chains didn't want to carry the book at all, claiming that the title insulted their customers and readers in general. But we responded to the critics by calling the title a "term of endearment" that readers would immediately relate to and identify with. After convincing the bookstores to give us a chance, consumers agreed.

It's sure been a remarkably successful enterprise. And their customer service departmant happens to be just north of me. So, you know, regional pride and all.

Now the Idiot's Guides are out of New York. So, no excuse for those.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

And the one on Ventriliquism, "Dummies, for Dummies"

You didn't!

That is just wrong. "Dummies for Dummies", somehow that one hits bottom. I've seen a lot of bad puns, but this is just plain unforgivable. What's next? The Idiot's Guide to Idiot's Guides?

Horrable! Absolutly pathetic.:shk:

Is their anything they don't print as an Idiot's Guide or a "________ For Dummies" ?

Tim

new topics

top topics

join