It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American 'Woodhenge' raises interest in ritual past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

During a remote-sensing survey of the Fort Ancient Earthworks in 2005, Jarrod Burks of Ohio Valley Archaeological Consultants discovered a circular pattern in the soil that stretched nearly 200 feet in diameter. Fort Ancient is a massive earthwork in Warren County (Ohio, USA) that was built more than 2,000 years ago by the Hopewell culture.

www.stonepages.com...

This seems quite interesting. It sounds like some sort of ceremonial area for what we may never know? And what is the purpose of bringing burned soil into the circle? interesting none the less.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Remote sensing survey? Is that the type that involves ground radar or sticks that bend up or down?

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Remote sensing is usually sattelite or arial photography I believe, sticks bending is called dowsing.

Interesting find, the article is a little vague on a few things, but that makes sense considering they have only unearthed 5% of it so far.

I am a little confused about the red soil myself, they said they found burned timbers in a trough around the red soil pit, and yet there was very little ash found to suggest that the soil wasn't burned there? I'm confused, could it be that whoever burned the soil shoveled out the trough after each time they burned? I'm sure it was significant to whoever did whatever at this site, it just seems odd to have a burning trough and burnt soil and not have them connected.

There is a bit more info here, scroll down to the aprill 23rd and 16th entries for this find.

www.ohio-archaeology.blogspot.com...

They have some pictures of artifacts recovered nearby as well.

Pretty cool, we seem to find more and more sites everyday through the use of newer technologies.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Blessings,

Isn't it quite possible that the red ash might be very similarly used as the white chalk of Britain? Forgive me, just a thought I had while reading the initial post. Still haven't read the actual link or further on.

This could also be connected to the Blackfoot tribe, not through the tribe itself, but its practice of using wood ash on their feet as honor to the recently dead?

Can not wait to read more about this great find.

top topics

join