It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq Government Takes Entire Summer Off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This really pisses me off. Iraq government is lobbying Washington for more support and not to pull out of Iraq, but yet they are all taking the entire summer off.

But that's alright everyone they told our officials they may shorten their vacation by a month.

Ahhhh....it's nice to live high on the hog, on USA tax payers dollars. Take a 3 month vacation on us won't you.

"Our armed forces are up to 150,000 troops; we're over $600 billion appropriated for this, lost 3,300 lives, 25,000 wounded fellow citizens. ... And the Iraqi answer? We're taking a summer off. Goin' fishing," said Rep. Rahm Emanuel (news, bio, voting record), D-Ill.

Saleh said he expects the vacation to be shortened by at least a month, although nothing had been decided. He added that Iraqis value being independent and do "not take kindly of (U.S. officials) telling us when to recess."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Iraq Official Push for US Support?

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Just like our government, eh?

It should come as no surprise that bureaucrats are pretty much worthless everywhere, no matter their nationality.

:shk:

At least we can rest assured that we have, indeed, brought them a carbon copy of our own ineffectual and expensive form of government.

Personally, I think it's a sin to export a defective product, but that's just me.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

At least we can rest assured that we have, indeed, brought them a carbon copy of our own ineffectual and expensive form of government.

Personally, I think it's a sin to export a defective product, but that's just me.

Please lets not start making sense or logical comments about Iraq, it's completely against any political protocol.

I just can't seem to grasp, even in the slightest, what the hell they are thinking when the country is in complete disaster, but your right the politicians in the US are allowing it to happen.

What they need is to be told if they take a break at all the US pulls out in 60 days.

[edit on 11-5-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong, the Iraqis can and should do as they please. I don't think we are in any position to be telling them what to do (except for the fact that we have more air-delivered explosive ordinance at our disposal).

More to the point, I don't think we're capable of teaching anybody anything about honest, effective, efficient government.

That's like asking a hippopotamus to teach a baby bird how to fly.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Realtruth, here is the real question did the government take this time off in protest of our presence in Iraq? The government officials know the sense of urgency and situation their country is experiencing with their civil war.

This is sending me a message that the heads of the Iraqi government have thrown up their hands and are still saying U.S. take care of the problem. In other words I think their saying the U.S. started this mess so fix the situation. The Iraqi government officials get paid no matter what, vacation or no vacation.

Behind the scenes I believe we are not being told the conflict the U.S. is having with the present elected Iraqi government. Going on 5 years and the Iraqis still do not have a compedent trained armed force. Two things either the U.S. does not want them trained in fear they might have to fight them or the Iraqis want to rely on the U.S. because it does not rock the boat with all the ethnic factions. Rik Riley

[edit on 11-5-2007 by rikriley]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
who can blame them? these people are living in a war zone. things blowing up every day, people dying, some of them have probably lost family and friends. i think they deserve a vacation.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Our reply to this should be withdraw completely from Iraq..

If the Iraqi government is this ignorant and cares this little... I think we need to teach them how to care for themselves truly, by leaving.

Then the weak will be gone, and finally someone strong enough might come forward to put this back together..

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Then the weak will be gone, and finally someone strong enough might come forward to put this back together..

So, when another Hussein rises to power, we can finally pat ourselves on the back and consider the mission accomplished?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It appears the Iraqi government is following the political standards that we view as acceptable here in the US.

For example the US Senate takes the same amount of time off, just not all in a row. They take 4 days in Feb, 7 days in April, 4 days in May and the entire month of August off.

US Senate - 2007 Schedule

I did a quick search on vactions our president has taken and apparently he likes to take 5 weeks around August to spend at his Crawford ranch. This article mentions that as of Aug 2005 he had spent 20% of his presidency at his ranch on vacation.

Washington Post - Vacationing Bush

This apparently the standard by which the political world turns. Why would we expect any different from other world leaders. The legislator mentioned in this thread mentions how many US soliders have died and he seems offended that they are taking vacation. However, the US government who sent those soldiers there doesn't seem to have any issues getting their vacationing in.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well that is what happens when the people in that country supposedly democratically elected are not the ones that run the show, so they just going to let the ones that are really running the show take over.

Perhaps we should send Cheney to take over officially.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well what do you expect... they are mimicking bush minors busy vacation schedule... Its become a tradition now...I wonder what disaster will hit us this year while he cuts brush in Crawford?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Well what do you expect... they are mimicking bush minors busy vacation schedule...

Remember is call working vacation actually my husband get some of those all the time, but no as a vacation but working from home.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I am sure we'll get some great quotes from it too... such as "... you're doing one heck of a job brownie!"

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hey, while they're gone, and the CIA is in Iran, maybe this war can end peacefully. Just turn the country over to Iran, on the condition Halliburton gets to stay there, and we're all friends again.

Most of this was for Cheney's stock to go up anyway.

And the Republicans can bragg how they ended the war.

Note: For those with Humor Dysfunction Syndrome, the foregoing was a sorte into the rediculous because the action of this governing body is a joke.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The Iraq government is a pupit government just like the U.S. government.I think they should still have to show up for work seeing how there's a civil war going on. It must be nice.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I agree... we should hold bush minor to the same standards... no August vacation for you buddy.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
in my opinion, for what is going to happen over there soon, i think you too, if you know what would happen over there in 3 months, you also would take a vacation away from from there. all hell is about to happen over there. start to watch the people flee soon. this is no joke for what is about to happen over there. this iran thing will get ugly. the war that will happen over there will get covered up by the 2008 election campains too.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
What can you expect from a government that was founded under Bush, who spent the majority of his first year on vacation himself.

Whatever happened to the real leaders?

new topics

top topics

join