It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking in movies to affect ratings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Smoking in movies to affect ratings

www.variety.com

Smoking will now affect movie ratings.

Responding to years of criticism from child advocacy groups and health organization, the Motion Picture Assn. of America announced Thursday it is expanding its current consideration of teen smoking to all smoking when evaluating and assigning a movie rating.

"In the past, illegal teen smoking has been a factor in the rating of films, alongside other parental concerns such as sex, violence and adult language," MPAA said in a statement. "Now, all smoking will be considered and depictions that glamorize smoking or movies that feature pervasive smoking outside of an historic or other mitigating context may receive a higher rating."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.hollywoodreporter.com
blog.wired.com

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm sure there will be some controversy over this but I believe it is a good decision by the MPAA.
Movies reach so many people and there should be responsibility with it's ratings making sure that young people are not lured into smoking.

www.variety.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I can see their point, they really want to stop any promotion of cigarettes to younger viewers, and if a movie hero is smoking it does send a message.

I remember Flintstone cartoons where Fred And Barney would light up on a commercial break, or Lucy and Ricky would share the smooth rich flavor of whatever brand was sponsoring the show.
And 8 out of 10 doctors approved a certain brand due to less irritation and coughing.

I even remember when you could smoke in a movie theater, and every seat had a little ashtray.

Although I am a smoker, I wish they would totally ban the sale of tobacco and just get the whole thing over with.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
"The Man Who Wasn't There" wouldn't have been the same without the cigarettes, but in a medium that thrives on product placement meant to influence behavior, this is not really a bad idea, but in the real world, everyone should know that the MPAA ratings are a farce.

Go to any R rated movie on a weekend and the theater will be filled with underaged kids.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Go to any R rated movie on a weekend and the theater will be filled with underaged kids.

Actually, I have to disagree with that one. In my community however. I've said it for years, that kids have an easier time obtaining liquor underage, than they do getting into an R rated movie. I remember when I was seventeen, I went to see a movie that happened to have an R rating. I was with friends who were all of age, and I was turning 18 in three days. I showed them my identification, and they still refused me. On many occasions, I've seen people come in and remove individuals from movies, who were underage.

Might not be the case for everyone, but where I come from, getting into an R rated movie underage is next to impossible. It does happen, but it is something that they do try to enforce very strictly.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Maybe times have changed. I honestly don't go to theaters very often anymore, however when I did young kids in R movies were quite common and in large numbers.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I have noticed there are usually about the same amount of children as there are adults in R rated movies over here on base. I find it quite disturbing that parents feel they're kids-as young as 4 no less- should be watching movies like 300 and Grindhouse

I understand they have every right to be there with their parents but c'mon now, what are these parents thinking ?

It's also reaaaaaaaaaaally annoying due the the amount of noise they make. We've stopped going.

I also agree wholeheatedly with anxiety, just stop producing the cigarettes and we will really have no choice in the matter ... IF they're THAT concerned about whether we live or die that is

[edit on 12-5-2007 by ImJaded]

top topics

join