It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's happening to American Morality?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I think you have no clue of how animals think and how it would feel to be one of those "animals", as you say.

DS - Thanks for your comment. this is exactly what I was looking for. I see you have a nag for picking at people. you really contribute to the quality of ATS...And my friend, I really have a clue of how animals think.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AryanWatch
I really have a clue of how animals think.

care to back that statement up?

do you realize how many things are wrong with it? it's establishing "animals" as a homogenous group. it's equating dolphins and gnats. octopii with chinchillas. it's inherently wrong to say that you know how ANIMALS think because there's such a wide variety of them.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I wonder how many times you've homogenized humans into a single group thought process.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I wonder how many times you've homogenized humans into a single group thought process.

well, homogenizing a species is slightly different that homogenizing the entire animal kingdom.
i can compare two humans quite easily, most of us aren't all that different when you dig past the superficial
but a butterfly and a crocodile.. not so much.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

well, homogenizing a species is slightly different that homogenizing the entire animal kingdom.
i can compare two humans quite easily, most of us aren't all that different when you dig past the superficial
but a butterfly and a crocodile.. not so much.

Actually - no you can't. We're speaking of social order - culture - language - belief systems.

Not physiology.

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Actually - no you can't. We're speaking of social order - culture - language - belief systems.

Not physiology.

again, social differences, culture, language, belief systems... they aren't that different. all language has a common basis. all social structure has common ground. all cultures have things that you can compare. beliefs systems... just look at them, they all fall into a few small categories.

humanity would like to believe that we're on some pedestal where there is more difference within our species than with other species... but it's not really so. social, cultural, etc differences tend to be quite superficial.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

DS - Thanks for your comment. this is exactly what I was looking for. I see you have a nag for picking at people. you really contribute to the quality of ATS...And my friend, I really have a clue of how animals think.

I am not nagging at you, nor am I here to tell you what you want to hear.

Even Nietzsche thought he has discovered what cow's thought of and felt

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Not physiology.

again, social differences, culture, language, belief systems... they aren't that different. all language has a common basis. all social structure has common ground. all cultures have things that you can compare. beliefs systems... just look at them, they all fall into a few small categories.

humanity would like to believe that we're on some pedestal where there is more difference within our species than with other species... but it's not really so. social, cultural, etc differences tend to be quite superficial.

Food - water - shelter - companionship - procreation.

Yep - all the basics.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Annee and MMS - I think we are deviating from the core issue here

American morality,in the recent times, as per a lot of members here, has improved.But can morality be measured in terms of number of crimes in a society? I'am asking this question now eventhou I have agreed to it in my OP. Morality is more of an inner state of things and it might not appear in the form of a crime.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Who determines morality?

Where should the focus really be?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Our heart determines morality, goodness IS morality.

We will know in our heart if what we are doing is moral or immoral. Goodness is morality, you cant tell me giving to somewho who needs is not moral. You cant say killing someone in a war is moral, you just cant.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWorker13
Our heart determines morality, goodness IS morality.

We will know in our heart if what we are doing is moral or immoral. Goodness is morality, you cant tell me giving to somewho who needs is not moral. You cant say killing someone in a war is moral, you just cant.

Yes - I can argue that. As an energy being - evolving is not in the physical.

Goodness - can also be debated.

Love? There is gentle love - there is tough love.

Actions from the "heart of purpose" - - seen on a one dimensional level - - may be polar opposite of what they appear to be.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Who determines morality?

Annee - It's upto all of us to determine morality. To some extent law if the land also determines what is morally correct and what is immoral. Religion plays the least role in the determination of morality.But most of us think that it's actually religion which determines.

I think our focus should be on doing good. And by this I mean, every sane individual knows exactly what is right and what is wrong. So it's our inner self which should tell us and not anything else.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Has America gone totally immoral?

Any Answers?

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Psalm9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God

We are a nation that has forgotten God. We are reaping what we have sown. We don't have political leaders who believe in the Bible and use it to instruct the people.

This is all predicted to happen. The probelms of this nation and world are spiraling out of control and many will not accept this, but, these problems are to big for any man or woman or group to solve.

So that is why The God Of The Universe(Jesus Christ) will return, because only He can bring about a fresh start that will be totally righteous and just.

Now there is Good News

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

every sane individual knows exactly what is right and what is wrong.

Who determines sanity?

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Who determines sanity?

dbrandt - Interesting question. Really. Sanity. Sanity is defined in Bhagavad Gita - A religious scripture of the Hindus in India. It is supposed to be the most authoritative work on sprituality and righteousness. See the link below for more:

www.bhagavad-gita.us/articles/660/1/Introduction-to-Bhagavad-Gita/

AryanWatch

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
dbrandt, come on, religion isn't the source of morality. morality today exists IN SPITE OF RELIGION, not because of it.

women aren't regularly sold into "marriage" *cough*sex slavery*cough*
slavery is abolished
we have democracy instead of a theocracy
children don't have to work
people aren't killed for their religion

just to name a few things.

religion is far from a source of our morality, get over it.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

religion is far from a source of our morality, get over it.

In most countries and places, yes religion IS the source of morality for the people living there. Religion is the blueprint for morality and human behaviour, whether that is directly or indirectly. I'll explain this later, g2g for now.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier
In most countries and places, yes religion IS the source of morality for the people living there. Religion is the blueprint for morality and human behaviour, whether that is directly or indirectly. I'll explain this later, g2g for now.

you've got it backwards. the morality becomes a part of the religion, not the other way around.

just look at the countries where morality from the religion supercedes secular morals... like europe in the dark ages or modern saudi arabia. both are using morality that is, by our modern standards, outdated. saudi arabia's morality hasn't changed in the last few hundred years all that much, that's because the religion is the source. if the religion was the source in most of europe, why hasn't the morality stayed the same since the dark ages?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join