It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pterodactyl

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
nice clip indeed. thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by theutahbigfoothunter
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but all I could find on frigate birds really didn't point in this direction. The people in the video (if they are telling the truth) say the thing is HUGE. Anyway I don't know if my view has any merit but here are some more specs.
Frigates to the best ability of my not so in-depth research seem only to have a MAX wingspan of 8ft which isn't all that big.

Pterosaur wingspans came in a huge variety of ranges. The largest, belonging to Quetzacoatlus, was a whopping 40 feet, while some of the smallest were less than a metre long.

Observe the following images. For the record I used Photoshop to flip the first image and fade the image Jedi_Master posted (nothing else. Try it out.), and then Paint to circle the areas on the second image.

A simple comparison of both animals. Its pretty clear to me that the Frigate Bird and the 'pterosaur' create a very similar shape while flying.

The patch of white is clear on both animals (circled).

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by theutahbigfoothunter
..... but none are as weird as the flying creature caught on video it's almost mothman-like....Is it fake?

Check this out:

video.yahoo.com...

[edit on 11-5-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

This vid was discussed on here ( last year I think ) and if memory serves me correctly, it was part of a viral campaign for some company.

Edit to add following link:

Wikipedia Viral
Marketing

Gives a list of the most popular campaigns, It looks like Diesel Jeans won an award for their 'Fallen Wings' campaign.

Didn't do a search but I remember it being well discussed and believed at the time to be a 'mothman'. I think it was later discovered as a viral campaign for something to do with angels.

[edit on 11-5-2007 by Grailkeeper]

[edit on 11-5-2007 by Grailkeeper]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Okay, guys.. it's a frigate bird.

We do some birdwatching and have a Life List of around 100 species (which shows just how part-time we are at this.) We've seen thousands of them on the coast.

Now, I could make a video and we could exclaim "My god, that thing is HUGE!" and fool everyone who's not interested in going outside and looking at plants, animals, and birds. If I vid the bird with no reference in the frame (a tree to compare it with), I could tell you it's the size of a Cessna (about the right size for Quetzalcoatalus.

Unless you take an interest in the world, you will always be victimized by pranksters playing video tricks like this.

Meanwhile, here's some info on birding (a sport like trainspotting, only it can be done anywhere) www.birdingguide.com...

Cornell Labs has an annual birdwatches that help monitor the environment, so get to know your local birds and help find out what's going on in respect to temperature and environmental quality in your area:
www.birds.cornell.edu...

And hopefully, the next time someone posts a vid of a frigate bird and tries to call it a pterosaur, you'll laugh and post a note on their site saying "nice try, bad hoax, everyone knows what a frigate bird looks like."

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Ain't no pterodactyl, lol.

that's either an albatross, frigate bird or cormorant. Get thee to Roger Tory Peterson...

Albatrosses can have 6-foot+ wingspans and glide on wind currents for days.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Yeah , i do believe it is a frigate bird as you can see the white spot, but still a cool vid..

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Wow. I am so surprised that people actually thought something of this video...

Upon seeing it, I knew it was a bird. And by the shape of the wings, it's so easy to tell it's an ocean-dwelling bird or more specifically a Frigate Bird.

And the video confirmed my suspicions as the camera panned down to the ocean.

Wow. If I went to the beach and saw that thing, a pterodactyl NEVER would've crossed my mind.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Well, you see what you want to see.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
There are still some "pterodactyl" photos that, to my knowledge, have not yet been discussed here at ATS.

Your thoughts?

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Actually, those photos were discussed on here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's a hoax with reenactors. And the "pterodactyl" is pretty lame, too.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It's a frigate bird. Type frigate bird in google and you will see.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It properly looks like a Royal Albatross.
watched a few videos on Royal Albatross's, and they move exactly like in the original video.

But still it looks cool =)

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hmmm...I don't know. The Albatross seems to have much straighter, or linear wing profile when in flight than the subject of this discussion.

Another weird thing is this: I'm pretty certain I read about an expedition to Borneo on the net not too long ago. It was organised after many locals in a remote region of the island had reported seeing 'flying dinosaurs'. I can't remember WHERE I found this website - but I'll take another look around and see if I can find a link.

Strange coincidence - or hoax? I haven't seen anyone mention this expedition here - so I'm assuming it's little known....which adds credence to the video really...

Jimbo999

[edit on 30-5-2007 by jimbo999]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Ok - this is interesting. Anyone here see this before? I imagine they have - but does anyone know more?

user.bahnhof.se...

J.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Hmmmm...on second thoughts - perhaps the 'April 1st' date of this article says it all....ahem

J.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
You should see Pelicans in flight...they look like living dinos....

I see them everyday as I go across the bridge (they're only about 10' away, as they love to buzz along the side of the bridge for some reason)... (shallows likely make it easier to spot fish maybe)

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Dont know if this has already been posted but its still very interesting just the same....

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
i did a little searching, and this is what i came up with. this is a video of an albatross, take a look for yourself and compare. i'm pretty convinced now, it's an albatross.

youtube.com...

[edit on 10/5/07 by wisefoolishness]

VERY SCEPTICAL!!!! but im 1 step ahead! if watch ur video and pause it at exactly 27 seconds into it and compare it to the beginning of the pterodactyl clip then you will see the diffrence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join