It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Religion can save the world? Christanity,Islam,Judaism,Buddhism or something else?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Look at the world around you...What do you see...? War? Destruction? Genocide? And all this for what? Oil? Control? Religion? The war of the civilizations is just about to destroy our home that we call EARTH. Where is the prophet Mohammed? Where is Jesus? Where is Buddha? Does this madness have an end? When? Is there a religion which can guide, not you and me, but the Humanity -out of this threat of extinction. What is your two cents?

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AryanWatch
Which Religion can save the world

WHY does it have to be a religion that saves the world?
Why not GOD instead of religion??
It certainly won't be man, or anything man made that does the trick.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I beg to differ, it must be man that finds a way out. Religions are control mechanisms and power tools. NOT that there is no god(God?), but that our situation is of our own making. Looking for exterior help for an interior problem is futile.

Religions, and their clashes are the major cause of war, or at least the cloth wars wear too often. There is nothing more idiotic than a chaplain blessing the troops before a battle.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I have a different opinion...The theme of peace and justice is very important and also very timely. As we know, science has shown great scope for the betterment of the world, offering apparently unlimited hope for human progress. Now mankind finds itself on the threshold of a new era. With technological progress we are able to find a new world of prosperity...a new and better world. But at the same time we see violence and intolerance everywhere in the world.

This unhappy state of affairs seems to nullify all our scientific progress. I think that religion has a great role to play in this matter.

What is religion?
Religion is simply a discipline of peace, an ideology of peace.

What is it that every person whether literate or illeterate understands? Its Religion. Hence in the current state of affairs...It's religion which is our best bet....

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What school taught you about the disciplines of peace in religion? Let me see, we have the Spanish inquisition, Bombs For Allah, the proactive protection practices of the Zionist, blah, blah, blah..... Sure, some groups do practice peace, but I just don't see the Amish rescuing the world soon.

And you can't get two people in any major religion, and most small ones, to agree on 6 out of 10 points, even when they're reading from the same book.

Thanks, but I'll hope for a more intelligent solution to the world's problems.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
There is doubting the fact that the religion which has PEACE as it's underlying principle would be the one best suited for saving Humanity from extinction...
Someone has very aptly remarked that religion is peace and peace is religion. Without peace there is no religion. And also, without religion there is no peace. I hope that these discussions and consultations produce something very substantial, which will prove helpful in the building of a peaceful world. I hope and pray that there will emerge some practical formula towards peace. God willing, we shall be able to contribute something very constructive for the betterment of humanity.

Now I would like to give a brief description of the major religions of the world. Let’s take Hinduism first, as it is the most ancient religion. Everyone who has studied Hinduism will agree that Hinduism in itself is a philosophy of peace. The basic concept of Hinduism is that Truth is one and that different religions are only different manifestations of the same truth. This concept was termed by a great religious scholar Sarwa dharma sambhawa. So Hinduism is nothing but a philosophy of peace.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
First off, religion is not the cause of any war whatsoever. War is politics, not religion. People who follow religions and launch attacks on others are taking political actions. 9/11 was a political action. The Crusades were political actions. The witch hunts were political actions, etc...

Secondly, if you cannot separate politics from religion then you are totally missing a huge portion of the message.

Third, when you damn a religion because of teaching lessons (Saddom etc..) and throw the baby out with the bath water you are totally missing the point. Not only do you not understand the reasoning behind writing such a story, but you are also guilty of interpreting the writings from a fundamentalist approach while at the same time criticizing it for being fundamentalist.

Fourth, those who ask, "If God is a good God then how can he let 9/11 happen or Jesus die on the cross." You really need to read Edward Schillebeeckx, Karl Rahner, William Kasper, and Bernard Prusak. Read up on God's divine yielding, and the most important lesson of Jesus Christ's death: Not that he died for our sins, but that he put his faith and trust in God despite the fact that he was being killed on the Cross. Those who point towards Pslam 22 that starts out as "Father Father, why have you forsaken me?" are guilty of taking the quote out of context. If you read the whole Pslam you will see that it is overwhelmingly a praise of God and that despite the fact that a person may not experience God's redemption, God is still with you. Read about how defenselessness and God's vulnerability undoes evil. Read about how Jesus mimics God's defenselessness on the cross. Read about how God's vulnerability (lack of control) is necessary to give humans freedom and free will. Read about the difference between God's inner power versus the human outer force.

Fifth, if you're looking for a religion to solve all the problems in the world I would highly recommend the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. Not only will you be healthy if you join the church, but you will be surrounded by genuinely nice people. Through my experimenting with several religions I have found Mormons to be the nicest people of any religion.

[edit on 10-5-2007 by Enki Pontifex Maximus]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enki Pontifex Maximus
First off, religion is not the cause of any war whatsoever.

Come on!

I think a re-read of some history is in order.For example,the church commited genocide against the Cathars becuase of their beliefs,not because of any politics.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

Originally posted by Enki Pontifex Maximus
First off, religion is not the cause of any war whatsoever.

Its certainly a catalyst -made worse by the fact that many extremist members of each diferent religious cult suffer the delusion they are somehow more special or superior to other humans.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AryanWatch
Is there a religion which can guide, not you and me, but the Humanity -out of this threat of extinction. What is your two cents?

I'll bite, AryanWatch.

IMO, there is no religion which can save the world from strife unless it is able to totally subjegate every human being on earth. Furthermore, since the hearts and minds of the people are still able to resist any such subjegation and yet pretend to fall into line in order to survive, it is an impossibility to eradicate independant thought.

Heretics are those who, instead of accepting the dogma of forced religion, prefer to think for themselves. I applaud them.

The only hope for humanity is to find within ourselves the true morality by which we should live. To ask ourselves what is the right path and which is the easy path... and that, btw, is the original source of all religions the world over.

A few religions thought it profitable to place an intermediary between us mortals and Deity, in order to establish control and a means of gathering wealth.

Deity has nothing to do with wealth. Deity needs no building nor statuary. Deity needs only our questioning (prayer) and the silence of meditation.

Block out the world and the truth will fill the void left behind.

My 2 cents

[edit on 10/5/07 by masqua]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
If you believe that religion is either a catalyst or the cause of all wars on Earth than you are making the same mistake that people such as Osama Bin Laden and George W. Bush are making. You are wrongly fusing ideas. If you still believe that religion causes war then please u2u me your e-mail and I will send you an essay I wrote that will make you think otherwise.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
As a Baha'i' I believe that Baha'u'llah's message (1817/1892) offers the best hope for mankind...if we are to talk of religion. He spoke to us of the oneness of humanity and the need to transcend races and nationalities, to understand that all religions speak of fundamentally the same issues and as such are essentially one. He spoke of the need to unify the planet and to be responsible stewards of it. He urged us to eliminate prejudice and to see and respect us all regardless of national or racial or material considerations. He stressed the importance of education, especially of women and to set aside dogma and ritual for genuine spirituality. And, he urged us to set aside politics (something I am still working on
) for a legitimate dialog between the classes.

I became a Baha'i' at 16 (35 years ago) and whether I have been practicing or not, its philosophy has informed my life and given a depth and richness which I value greatly.

[edit on 10-5-2007 by grover]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Religion will never save the world. If you're waiting on religion to save the world then you have your answer. Look around. That's what religion does to the world. All religious peoples have become idealogical fanatics.

Like was said above; you can't have people who claim the same religion to agree on 6 out of 10 positions any way. They'll sit there and argue Bible verses with Bible verses until the sun supernova's

[edit on 10-5-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The only way we as a species will find peace is if we can say goodbye to religion. This will only happen when humanity learns to trust itself. When we can stop looking toward a myth to solve our problems and realize that we our in control of our own destinies, things will change for the better. Without religion, governments will have less control over the masses. Governments will be forced to do other things to gain our support. Like, for example, they may have to listen to us. The "will of the people" and all that jazz.

Without religion, humanity will see the many truths science has to offer and the value of its relationship with God, a different kind of God than what we have been duped into believing since the first religious idea created by ancient man.

Don't get me wrong, religion has many pro's. Unfortunately, it has many, many more con's that continue to hold us as a people back. To think that our morals would go out the window without religion is ludicrous. The people who are good are good because that's who they are, it isn't because of religion. The bad people are inherently bad.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The Cyfre is right.

Once we recognise religion for what it is and always has been; namely a catch-all answer to our gaps of understanding of reality and at the same time an excuse for the powerful to rule and control the ignorant with a metaphysical carrot and stick, then we can move on.

[edit on 10-5-2007 by kegs]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

The only hope for humanity is to find within ourselves the true morality by which we should live. To ask ourselves what is the right path and which is the easy path... and that, btw, is the original source of all religions the world over.

Actually I am of the same mindset. I truly believe that everything is already within us all and there is no need to look any further than that, but sometimes in order to find what is inside us all we must also look at everyone and everything else to find ourselves.

I think the dogma of any one religion is much to limiting.

[edit on 10-5-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Which Religion can save the world?

None, see the world is populated by all kind of species, but from the Animal kindom man seems to be the one with a "thinking brain".

So the only one that can save the world is humanity itself, sadly with all the "thinking brain and the ability to make choices" man has prove to be the worse species in this planet when it comes with taking care of their own and the lesser species in the planet.

So the problem is not the religions.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
If anything, religion will probally end up destroying the world rather than saving it. All religion is doing is holding humanity back from reaching its true potential. Humanity as a whole will never really progress as long as our past beliefs tie us down. Religion has always started off as a way for ancient man to explain his world, but it always ends up as a controling mechanism for those in power.

The fact of the matter is, thier is a truth out there thats waiting to be found. If everyone stoped beleiving in these baseless religions and starting thinking for themselves, then we would be able to find that truth much quicker.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Atheism will save the future. All principle religions will vanish on December 21, 2012 during the harmonic convergence. Also, people will stop wearing any colours and stick to variations of gray/silverish spandex bodysuits.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I think it's a very stupid idea to think that any one religion will save the world. I thin if religions were practiced by sane kind people then no one would hate them. It is the extremists that ruin it all.

I think what will save us is acceptance, and i don't mean tolerance. I think accepting anyones beliefs means you can get on with them if they accept yours. I notice there are some atheists on here saying that's the correct way. Sorry guys but atheisism doesn't make it all nice, Hitler was an atheist, Mao, Stalin etc. These are some of the biggest monsters in history.

No one religion is the answer, that's why we have so many.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join