It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Representative democracy obsolete?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Before I start working on my homework, just curious if anyone has anything to contribute to this. We needed representatives to give "our" voice in the past because there was no way to have direct democracy. We all know that politicians can be self-serving, which is a problem when they should be representing the will of their constituents. Now with better technology, it's possible to have everyone have their voice heard by the use of the internet. Why hasn't the internet been used more in our political process? At the very least you would think the representatives would have there own polls to see in which way they should vote. Just some thoughts, now back to homework

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Yes, but don't hold your breath expecting the representatives to give up their power anytime soon.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Fear not, ghaleon12, as others seek the same things as you. I've posted numerous times my outline for such a system. Every time that I do, I'm met with some solid reasons why some think that this won't work.

One of the big ones is that people aren't educated on the political issues that need to be voted on. Well, I've never been an advocate for voter apathy; hell, if you're going to vote, at least have SOME idea what it is that you're voting for.

Just because I don't choose to vote, however, doesn't mean that no one else can. I just think that the system is so flawed now that it doesn't matter who or what I vote for. The corporations that are giving "political contributions" to these candidates are the ones that are really running the show. If we could stop all lobbying/bribing, as well as private contributions to representatives, then maybe we'd have a shot at getting our voice back.

Unless of course you take a more revolutionary route, as Thomas Jefferson and the other founders did to get out of a system very similar to the one we're in now. In which case you're options are obviously fewer, and less than advisable.

To return to the topic though, what's called for here is some reason on the part of the People, the ones that elected these criminals in the first place. There needs to be accountability for those representatives that do something stupid. For example, President Clinton should be serving a jail sentence for perjuring himself in front of the Grand Jury, or he should have anyway. Others served time, and still are for the very same crime, and yet he did not. Why?

What needs to happen is that the people need to wake up to the fact that they've been railroaded for the past several decades at least, and it's time that we recapture the reigns of a government gone awry.

Sorry for the length of this post, as I tend to ramble a little.

TheBorg

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I doubt very much that we'll ever see anything being used to give the people a legitimate voice, and a direct influence, on how things are run.

They'll always find an easy excuse for it to not happen.

No, they want to maintain the system that gives the population the illusion of control (which a lot of people are finally starting to see through, now they only have to realise the alternative), whilst it really enslaves us to the whims of the global elite. They lie, we die.

To vote is to give up your own power.
To elect a master or many, for a long or short time, is to resign one's liberty.

new topics

top topics

join