It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European Union Abandons Plan to Phase Out British Imperial Measures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

European Union Abandons Plan to Phase Out British Imperial Measures

www.foxnews.com

LONDON — The European Union has abandoned plans to phase out Britain's imperial measures, EU officials said Wednesday, a decision which will allow old fashioned feet, inches, pounds, ounces and gallons to coexist with official meters, grams, and liters.

Some British politicians are calling the move a victory for common sense. The Metric Martyrs, a lobbying group, said it felt vindicated by years of struggle that began when a trader was convicted in 2001 for refusing to sell bananas by the kilogram.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Save the confusion.

Deny ignorance.

I thought the pound was a single monetary note?

How fast is 100kmh in mph anyway?

Who cares?

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
why won't everyone realize that having a fully metric world would stop so many annoying problems?

do you want to measure your gas consumption by rods to the hogshead or kilometers per liter?

metric is by 10s, it's so much easier!

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
why won't everyone realize that having a fully metric world would stop so many annoying problems?

Well, yes, it would, but it is'nt gonna happen anytime soon.

do you want to measure your gas consumption by rods to the hogshead or kilometers per liter?

What's a rod or hogshead, besides the literal definition of the words.

metric is by 10s, it's so much easier!

Not to all of us, I seriously tried to learn Metric, heck they even require it in Elementary and Middle-School,
but I never could figure it out.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This was a very smart move on the EU's part. I'm not kidding. The EU has some pretty strong opposition right now, to get rid of the measures at this point would be like hitting a hornet's nest with a baseball bat.

new topics

top topics

join