It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't they make mouse flavoured cat food?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I would like to know why they don't make mouse flavoured cat food.

I live in the heart of vinyards in France and have three cats. All happy, healthy and active, especially this time of year with spring in full sprung and loads of mice, shrews and bugs to catch.

Problem is though, they get fussy about the canned food that I give them and I end up throwing it away. They love "crunchies", but too many of them is not good for their diet and they pee every ten minutes. (little puddles everywhere).

So why not mouse flavour cat food?

All they seem to sell is things like turkey or beef and sometimes fish like salmon or tuna. Things like chicken, duck and rabbit could be exceptions perhaps, a tough cat could take them on in the wild, but a cow....ha, ha, I don't think so. And as for tuna.....I've never seen a cat with a fishing rod or a trawler.

So I propose a new brand of cat food...mouse, shrew, sparrow and bug flavours.
to us, but yummy to them. No more wasted food.

Anyone else have problems, what do your cats like?

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
lol this is crazy lol

They don't make mouse flavored cat food because cats don't buy cat food...humans do. Ever notice how delicious they make cat food look in commercials and in print? They need to appeal to the owners not the cats.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Absolutely right. I was going to mention that but left it open.

I guess you could apply that to all the food "labels" that conceal the "muck" within.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Ever notice how delicious they make cat food look in commercials and in print? They need to appeal to the owners not the cats.

What? Do you mean to tell me that you don't find possum stew to be as delicious to look at, as it is to eat? Of course, possums are only cousins to mice, but the flavor I would imagine would be about the same.
(Not that I would try it myself, mind you)

This has got to be the funniest rant I have seen for a while, by the way. Thanks for the laugh.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Plus it'd probably be more expensive. Most of the beef, chicken etc. is the worst of the worst leftovers from human food production. Raising mice for slaughter just for cat food would be more difficult.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77 Raising mice for slaughter just for cat food would be more difficult.

You are right. It would have to be good sized rats, for better ratio of cost/benefit.

Most of the beef, chicken etc. is the worst of the worst leftovers from human food production.

Which leads one to think that perhaps the leftovers from the rodents processed as cat food might somehow find it's way into the human food chain.

So on second thought, I say no to mice as a cat food flavor. Just to be on the safe side of things.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Cats actually don't find mice so incredibly delicious. They often prefer to play with the mouse and not eat it. Most cats don't like "red" fish like salmon and trout, so I never understood why they make cat food with salmon. My cat doesn't like cat food with salmon (I tried), but he loves tuna. Tuna is his favorite and he can eat a whole can of it. Tip: If you give your cat tuna, don't throw the water away. I made the mistake of throwing away the water from the cans and just gave him the tuna. After I discovered that he wants the water too, I never throw the water away. I have no idea why I didn't always give him the water from the cans. I mean, it's quote obvious that they'd like the water too...

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I once saw Tom Hanks eat a couple of Spoonfuls of Cat food on the "Tonight Show"..It's been so long now, that I can't remember if Johnny Carson was still hosting, or if it was Jay Leno.
It was Salmon flavor, either Friskees, or Purina I don't remember which.

I have a cat that probably thinks mice just aren't worth the trouble.
He goes after Cottontail rabbits. I've seen him make the kill, and I was amazed.

They were both running full speed, at slightly different angles. After they crossed paths, the cat was still running, and the rabbit wasn't, it tumbled to a stop, and was dead. Just like that.
He scares me sometimes.

Then, he eats the whole rabbit, except for the ears, guts, and forepaws.
I didn't teach him ANY of that.
He scares me sometimes.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
From helmut:

Cats actually don't find mice so incredibly delicious.

Mine do! Yes they sometimes play with them, but probably after they've had plenty already. There is a look of contentment and certainly lots of licking of the lips. Yummy.

I wouldn't completely agree with the comment about it not being cost effective to produce mice for cat food, industry has a strange way of meeting supply and demand trends.

Interesting to hear about the Tuna & juice thing.....will have to try that, thanks.

I think I will begin researching this whole cat food thing now. I'm sure I'll find out why they don't eat some of the tinned stuff and I'll probably feel
while doing so.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
hell, I have had trouble getting my cats back home to eat anything canned besides tuna. They loooooove tuna but don't eat anything else canned - unless we are feeding the stray (who has taken up residence with us, but outside only) who is grateful and eats it, then they will come sniff, eat a lil but no more than a taste, just to be nosey I guess lol

They eat dry food, the good stuff, so it nourishes them properly, but they like to eat whatever we're having more than anything else.

They might dig bird flavored food though, they only chase and capture birds - and seeing them lick their chops after doing so makes me feel ill lol

[edit on 10-5-2007 by ImJaded]

new topics

top topics

join