It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegans Sentenced for Starving Their Baby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

ATLANTA (AP) - A vegan couple were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for the death of their malnourished 6-week-old baby boy, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.
Superior Court Judge L.A. McConnell imposed the mandatory sentences on Jade Sanders, 27, and Lamont Thomas, 31. Their son, Crown Shakur, weighed just 3 1/2 pounds when he died of starvation on April 25, 2004.

Defense lawyers said the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to the lifestyle of vegans, who typically use no animal products. They said Sanders and Thomas did not realize the baby, who was born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.

An interesting case; their beliefs caused their sons death,

Any Vegans out that have have raised children? How did you feed your child/ren?

I have a friend who was a vegatarian, to the piont where I had to wash my grill ahead time if I was going to cook her something, yet she raised her daughter on 'meat' products......

[edit on 9-5-2007 by ferretman2]

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/5/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ungh.....

I thought vegans were annoying before. Now I know theyre insane.

If the kid grows up and wants to be vegan then so be it but to force feed it and then to watch it starve over a period of time just to maintain some lifestyle is ridiculous. Soy milk and apple juice? Thats just sugar! Its a human being not a hummingbird!

I wonder how many of these vegans starve their pets to death. I mean, if one couple can be so stupid as to let their child starve then Im sure there are people out there who've starved a dog or a cat trying to feed it granola or sprouts.

They didnt think something was wrong as the child dropped from its birthweight of about 7/8 lbs. to 3. Come on.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think your friend realised that just because she was a vegetarian doesn't mean her child wanted to be, hence she gave her the choice instead of forcing her own beliefs upon her daughter.

As this case tragically shows, a balanced and varied diet is essential for babies and children. Even if the parents themselves stick to a particular diet I think children should be allowed to have a 'mixed' choice of food until they're old enough to choose to be vegetarians, vegans etc. rather than have such a lifestyle forced upon them.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There is little...

That is fraudulent than the "vegan lifestyle," except maybe the voting on American Idol.

Human babies need fat intake, huge amounts of fat in fact (look at the composition of human breast milk). The brain's development is based upon fat consumption... No fat in the diet... You'll have a "stupid" kid... That is, if the kid lives long enough to be "stupid."

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with having a vegan lifestyle, so long as this 'chosen diet' does not infringe upon the proper health of oneself or others.

It is a personal choice for people.

IMO, after reading the article, the parents should never have chosen this lifestyle for their infant. Extremely bad parenting and decision making on their part.

I would want the BEST possible care for my children as possibly be provided.

And for the record?

I'm not vegan.

top topics

join