It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In A World Where Things Are So Bad -

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
In A World Where Things Are So Bad ,
why would any half-way normal , socially respectful or
with an iq over 10 , sign or even start a petition to save paris hilton
from jail ? what kind of social outcast has that kind of time on their hands ?

is anyone else as flabbergasted as i am over this one ? if any one of us had flanted the law as she has done , we would already have been doing
our 90 days in jail and lost our privilege to drive for 5 years and she only gets 45 days ?
she's already being treated better than most !
sorry about the rant !
but arent there better things to worry about ?

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Sure there are better things to worry about.

When I heard that Paris thinks Wal-Mart sells walls, I realized how disconnected she is with the life that most of us lead. She has someone standing between herself and real life in just about every aspect of it. She has a "buffer" layer around her that is sometimes quite thick. It's how she was raised and it's what she's used to. If she is as naive as it appears, it's not entirely her fault.

It's like she's an experiment in child rearing.
Q: "How does a person turn out who is totally pampered and protected from real life and the real world since childhood"?
A: Paris Hilton

I just can't really bring myself to blame her. Hopefully, she will take this as a wake-up call and quit depending on other people to interpret the world for her, but under these special circumstances (where she has been taught since childhood to depend on others to function as her liaison to real life) I can understand how she might be feeing that this is unfair.

From what I understand, the 45 days IS quite unfair when compared to other celebrities who get caught driving under a suspended license. Like it or not, fair or not (it's not), celebrities get treated differently under the law than us regular folks...

I'm not a Paris fan, but I'm not sure this is the best treatment for her. I'd rather see her do community service or something meaningful. But if this opens her eyes, then I guess it's a Good Thing. (Martha Stewart reference)

[edit on 9-5-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Hopefully, she will take this as a wake-up call and quit depending on other people to interpret the world for her, but under these special circumstances (where she has been taught since childhood to depend on others to function as her liaison to real life) I can understand how she might be feeing that this is unfair.

I hope you're right... but I really doubt she'll learn anything from this.
I hope she does her 45 days and hates every minute of it.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think the jail time is a bit harsh but I also think she needs something major to alert her to the fact that we are not all guests in her world.

I also don't think she's as dumb as she plays herself out to be. I don't think she's a genius but I really think she plays herself to be more of a dolt than she actually is. I think she's been brought up by money hungry, media whoring parents who are actually looking at ways to make money (and more media face time) should they fail in their attempts to keep Paris out of prison.

I think a more appropriate judgement might have been one where poor Paris was forced to be publicly humiliated for a period of time. Something akin to the judge making shoplifters wear giant signs that read "I stole from Wal-Mart" while standing in front of the store they stole from. This might be a bit more humbling but it could backfire like it did with Naomi Campbell when she was supposed to be doing clean up duty for her poor behavior.

There are people who get caught driving with suspended licenses all the time and they don't get jail time. There are far worse road violators who find themselves getting community service so why should Paris be put away for that long a period of time.

It's like Leona Helmsley going to jail for tax fraud, Martha Stewart for her "crimes" etc.

People are doing far worse but they don't make the papers when they get caught. Judges don't get to read their name in the papers or hear their name on CNN when they put Crakeur in jail for 45 days for driving with a suspended license.

If you remove the persona, remove the poor example she sets, remove her social status and you will see this differently. Putting her away is not going to be seen as a warning to anyone thinking of driving with a suspended license. It won't even be a deterrant for other celebs who think they can get away with murder.

It's pointless. She'd be better punished being forced to ride a tricycle around town with a sign on her back that reads "I Drove With a Suspended License"

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Paris Hilton... not really brought up, just kept in a mental box.
She gets famous by having sex, videotaping it, and being dumb enough to believe it wouldn't get out.
Now she's a roll model for American children?!?!

Screw it, I take it back, it's obviously not your education system and religion that's to blame for ALL of your social issues...

new topics

top topics

join