It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Hoax 101

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
As always if this is in the wrong section then some mod please move it.

I decided to write this guide for budding hoaxers because i'm getting kind of sick of the bad hoaxes on ATS, i mean come on at least give us a challenge. I wouldn't mind hoaxes if they were actually good, with effort put in, and so i decided to write this.

Ok some basics, firstly you need some evidence or be extremely well respected on ATS, preferably you need both. So to start make an account and post something normal, comment on UFO issues, maybe as a skeptic. Don't overdo it though as a really sudden shift of ideas after apparently seeing one won't look good. It's a fine line. At least put in plenty of time here before posting your hoax. Of course some don't do this (John Titter) but they have some great evidence, or at least appear they do.

Your evidence needs to be good, ATS is not just a loose association of crackpots, ok there are some (he says whilst adjusting his stylish tin foil lined beany hat), but we have a ton of well qualified experts in every field. From photo and video experts to scientists, pilots and even lowely network engineers. Pretty much all fields are covered.

Depending on your subject you need the right kind of evidence, photographs are pretty much accepted in the ghost field a lot of the time, whereas the UFO field now prefers video. Remember though that photographs aren't really treated as proof unless you have negatives or they are from official sources.

Video needs to be carefully faked, don't just use out of the box software and expect it to be perfect. Also don't use bits of footage from other videos, they will be spotted a mile off.

Whatever the evidence you do need some, a simple story just won't hold any real weight with most people on ATS. A sob story usually gets some sympathy from those out there that let emotion get in the way of reasoning, but you will soon be exposed and removed from ATS.

Take a look at other hoaxes to see where they went wrong, a lot of these things are done by teenagers and so lack imagination. Two things that will at least get you some credit are good spelling and grammar. Also claiming that your spelling and grammar are bad because your native language isn't english isn't a good idea. Why you may ask? Well people who are spanish for example usually make a predictable pattern of grammatical mistakes which can actually be recognised. Stick to the language you know and make sure it's as correct as possible.

Careful you don't go overboard with the crazyness, a good story is great but the most oudlandish things will even have the believers running for their faraday caged homes.Take a look at things like the John Tittor incident. Some here still believe that one was true, i simply think it was a truly fantastic hoax, seriously i have some respect for those guys. They even had the back story well figured out and what seems to be a decent working understanding of current physics.

Project serpo should also be looked at, whilst it was just a story it was well written, of course most didn't believe it because there was no real evidence.

Well if anyone wants to add more then please do. Lets get these simple, easy to figure out hoaxes off of ATS and at least get something interesteing. Afterall we need good hozxes to keep us sharp, it's like playing chess, if you always play someone worse than you, then you get worse at playing.

Edited for some typos.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I don't think a "how to break the terms & conditions" thread is really necessary. Do you?

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Hmm well that's not what its about really, i'm just tired of the bad hoaxers on ATS, hopefuly i won't incur the wrath of the gods, err mods. I hope it's seen for what it is.

Edit

I just checked out the terms and conditions again, i may have missed something but i can't find anything that says i can't post this. I may be wrong theere so please quote any part that forbids this. I have been on ATS a good while and have never had trouble, guess i'll see.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Personally; I don't really care if they're "bad", or "good", at it. Knowingly posting false/misleading information is a bannable offense here, and I'd rather not see anyone banned.

Edit: I never said you couldn't post this; I just asked if you felt it was really necessary.

[edit on 5/8/07 by redmage]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yes it should be bannable i am not having a go at that. I am simply saying if someone posts a hoax than i at least want a challenge. Something thats got a seriously good photo, video etc.

I am also trying to point out just how hard it is to create a good hoax, makes you wonder why someone would waste so much time on such a thing. Must mean they have very little to do in their lives and maybe they should be pittied.

join