It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fresno State student suspected of killing 1, wounding 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Fresno State student suspected of killing 1, wounding 2

www.cnn.com

FRESNO, California (AP) -- A college student opened fire in an apartment near the campus of California State University, Fresno, killing one person and wounding two others, police said Tuesday.

Members of a police SWAT team were communicating by telephone Tuesday morning with the suspect in the shooting, trying to get him to leave the apartment, police spokesman Jeff Cardinale said.

Cardinale identified the suspect as Jonquel Brooks, 19, of Hayward, California.

There was no immediate indication of the motive in the shooting, police said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
An other copycat, when is the us will have a good control of the firearms? should we wait until there will be more death?

What can we do?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valombre

An other copycat, when is the us will have a good control of the firearms? should we wait until there will be more death?

Gee man. Kind of jumping the GUN here, huh?

Nobody knows yet if he used a rifle or handgun or if his owning one is even legal or if he has a lawful permit or anything at all.

And its hardly a 'copycat.' The guy is in an off-campus apartment. Because he's a student its suddenly "oh no! copycat murder!" Lets just extend that to murderous alumns why dont we? Or anyone living within a certain radius of a campus?

And if you want to save alot of time and space you could just go read the dozen or threads that came up after the VA Tech shooting and not drag all of the same posters into the same conversation theyve all had over and over and over again.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Gee man. Kind of jumping the GUN here, huh?

Nobody knows yet if he used a rifle or handgun or if his owning one is even legal or if he has a lawful permit or anything at all.

Ok let me rephrase. VA techg was what a month ago, is there any changes? Is the gov is doing something? All i know is there an other student shooting and some others died! What is the gov doing? Nothing. I could hear bush say's Jesus, an other shooting.... So bad let's see what firearms company has to offer..... They need to take action now. Someday it could be someone you know and you will ask for immediate action. why waiting? This is the question.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Ok let me rephrase. VA techg was what a month ago, is there any changes? Is the gov is doing something? All i know is there an other student shooting and some others died! What is the gov doing? Nothing. I could hear bush say's Jesus, an other shooting.... So bad let's see what firearms company has to offer..... They need to take action now. Someday it could be someone you know and you will ask for immediate action. why waiting? This is the question.

Sorry, didnt realise you were one of those "better living through bigger government" types.

Im pretty sure today a few people got stabbed to death, died in car wrecks, drowned in pools, were clubbed, beaten with stools, dies in propane tank explosions, etc.... oh when will the government save us all?

What does this mean"

I could hear bush say's Jesus, an other shooting.... So bad let's see what firearms company has to offer.....
?

Bush is an enemy to the 2nd Amendment and I cant begin to understand what was meant by the "lets see what firearms company has to offer" bit.

Why say when this happens to someone I know Ill call for action? How about when my mother home alone used a shotgun to defend herself from an intruder or how none of those poor students at VA Tech were allowed to defend themselves? Can you imagin how it must feel to stare down the barrel of a gun knowing your pistol is sitting at home because your school doesnt allow you to have what is rightfully and legally yours and youre about to die because of paranoid beurocracy?

But sure, Ill play your game. If guns didnt exist anywhere ever than this guy in Fresno wouldnt have shot someone. He may have stabbed them or beat them or run them over but hey, they wouldnt have gotten shot.

Ill concede to gun bans just as soon as these drug bans start working. Wait, there's already a ban on murder? There's no problem then.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Police are even saying that we shouldn't compare this incident to the VA Tech massacre. This was on off campus event that was just a dispute between one guy and a group of people.

See here

Let's not jump to any conclusions before we know all the facts. For all we know it was a drug deal gone bad or something.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

But if there was a certain control on buying firearms, like a time delay of a couple of months, it will prevents sudden shooting, if you wake up a morning and you want to buy a firearm to shoot student at school.

This varies state by state. Where I am there is a 2 week waiting period for all firearm purchases unless you have a state permit to carry. The permit is sort of an "Im not crazy" card. The steps taken to get this permit vary state by state too.

I should mention that California has some of the strictest gun laws in the country if not the strictest. If this guy did wake up and on a whim decide to go shooting he either already had the gun and went crazy, stole the gun or got the gun illegaly. Theres no way to stop that unless all of the guns magically disappeared.

The Brady people give California an A-. Brady Grade

Anyone in the states who loves their guns knows these people as horrible demons, anyone in the states who live in perpetual fear of their neighbors and Ted Nugent believe them to be saviors.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Ok I agree that i jump over to the conclusion to fast. I have just receive the first part of the story, then i have just read the last minute news.... My error, but i'm not going to change my idea about control on firearms, If we could avoid shooting with a good legislation I will be the first to applause.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Guys im in fresno and i can tell you, this is no out of the ordinary thing. The off campus area is called Sin City for a reason. Shootings happen there weekly. Its not a copy cat. Relax.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I should mention that California has some of the strictest gun laws in the country if not the strictest. If this guy did wake up and on a whim decide to go shooting he either already had the gun and went crazy, stole the gun or got the gun illegaly. Theres no way to stop that unless all of the guns magically disappeared.

Agree with you, there is a real market for illegal firearms.. It's the same for drugs and for stolen goods. Firearms are not going to dissapear and the problem will still be recurent... We can't stop every shooting but i all states adopt the same ruling as California, maybe we will see less shooting... Having a universal legislation for all the state will be a good idea.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I own numerous handguns and rifles, all acquired legally in california. Just what ruling are you talking about. I will also have my CCW license in a month. Illegal guns can be acquired on the bad side of town in pretty much most cities. The majority of legal gun owners are responsible citizens. Hoodlums and looney toons will get guns no matter what laws you have in place.

This guy was majoring in criminology to possibly try to be a police officer or work in that area and snapped over a video game. Whats that tell you. Unfortunately there is no mental check on people. The questionnaire that you fill out to get a gun asks if you are mentally unstable. Doubtful anyones gonna answer that one truthfully if they are not.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by S1LV3R4D0]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by secret titan

For all we know it was a drug deal gone bad or something.

Nope, it was over a Playstation.

Link

Such a waste

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Oh man, not even a Playstation 3 but a Playstation 2!

For some reason I get more satisfaction not that someone was killed but that this guys life is essentially over for quite possibly the stupidest thing imaginable.

I think it was 3 years ago maybe 4 that a group of kids went into a Florida home and beat everyone in it to death with bats for an Xbox. Just an ordinary origional Xbox. If they had waited a year they could have beaten someone to death for a 360.

Hmmm..... killing for video games, killing because of violent viode games.....
I say its time to ban video games!! Then these idiots can go back to killing each other for their sneakers like the good 'ol days.

*Disclaimer* I in no way believe that had the coveted objects been a PS3 or Xbox 360 these crimes would be any more justifiable. I merely think that if youre going to destroy lives over something as petty as a video game it may as well be the best currently available. Maybe PS2's and Xbox's have 'thowback' status thereby making them more valuable. Who knows.

I guess stricter gun laws dont protect peoples video game consols:
www.thesun.co.uk...

[edit on 9-5-2007 by thisguyrighthere]

new topics

top topics

join