It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Mystery Illness Kills China Pigs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

www.usep.edu.ph..." border=0>

Report: Mystery Illness Kills China Pigs

An unidentified animal illness has spread in two southern Chinese cities, infecting at least 1,300 pigs and killing more than 300, according to reports in Hong Kong newspapers. No human infections have been reported.

The illness started killing pigs in Yunfu city in southern Guangdong province in early April, eventually claiming the lives of more than 300 of the animals, the Ming Pao Daily News reported Monday, citing government statistics.

The Apple Daily newspaper said the illness killed 80 percent of the pig population in Yunfu.

More...

I always love the obligatory part of stories like these:

...animal experts have ruled out a disease that can cross over to humans, but have not diagnosed the illness.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

...animal experts have ruled out a disease that can cross over to humans, but have not diagnosed the illness.

I think a piece of me just died after reading that. They don't know what the illness is, yet they know enough to say that it cannot transfer to humans.

Do I need to start worrying that this is another virus that is going to 'wipe us out', because the whole bird flu thing got old real quick, I don't think I have it in me to be told how I'm going to die just yet.

Indeed.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by Zanzibar]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Thanks Loam for posting this. I read this yesterday and had a similar reaction about the notation that the disease (which they no nothing about) cannot be transferred to humans. NICE!

And they know this how? They don't even know what the disease is however it simulates a close cousin to hemmoragic fever.
Although I don't feel this is something anyone should panic over it definately commands some attention. Pigs are known mixing vessels for human transmission.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Errr this is a touch worrying, I'm in Hong Kong! I managed to get through SARS although it scared the pants off me.

The late news is on after PB and then I'll be back with the latest.

Loam - Can you read Chinese, or was it a translation?

Sorry for the stupid question! Just spotted the link - IBtimes. (Edit).

[edit on 8-5-2007 by ChiKeyMonKey]

new topics

top topics

join