It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can We Feed The Hungry Of The World?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I wonder if there is a way to reprocess human fat in to a tasty, edible form
. If anyone thinks they can do this then we could open mobile liposucktion clinics and drive them around the USA sucking the fat from the fat and then feed it to the poor and starving. All of the big food corporations would be kept happy because the fat people probally wouldn't stop eatting just because we sucked 20/30 pounds out of them. I'm sure we could even get sponsorship from civic minded companies like McDonalds and Dairy Queen. I can already see a forthcoming television advertisement "some big fat girl tuckin in to a KFC while having the fat sucked from her arms. "Hello chicken wings bye bye bingo wings"

Hell we could even hold the fat in tanks so some of you more spirituly minded beings could come and prey over it!

Just a thought

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
how about this, let's use the money that we use to pay for religion (buildings, books, religious indoctrination camps, etc) and use it to find ways to solve hunger.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
how about this, let's use the money that we use to pay for religion (buildings, books, religious indoctrination camps, etc) and use it to find ways to solve hunger.

That creationnist museum and all the megachurches of the usa must be worth a few million. And all the gold from catholic churches too !

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
That creationnist museum and all the megachurches of the usa must be worth a few million. And all the gold from catholic churches too !

don't forget the money that the megachurches generate from their coffee shops, gift stores, and other stores. hell, some of them would be better described as jesusmalls.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   

madnessinmysoul, instead it should be taken from all the militaries of the world. Militaries sometimes defend life (the most honorable earthly act a human can perform), but they also sometimes kill life (the most dishonorable earthly act a human can perform).

"You shall not kill." Exodus 20:13

I can think of a world where the major religions get all of the money as many of them teach us to love God first and show Him appreciation for granting us life, and to love our neighbors.

I would prefer a world that has no money as it has had a corrupting influence on every society that I know of.

I would support a world law that would ban all world militaries and weapons.

Peace.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
madnessinmysoul, instead it should be taken from all the militaries of the world. Militaries sometimes defend life (the most honorable earthly act a human can perform), but they also sometimes kill life (the most dishonorable earthly act a human can perform).

If you kill someone that wants to kill you or kill others, is that dishonorable? Defense forces are justified because not everyone thinks like you about honor. Can't say the same thing about the USA, which is probably the most christian country on the planet ..

I can think of a world where the major religions get all of the money as many of them teach us to love God first and show Him appreciation for granting us life, and to love our neighbors.

I can think of a world of free speech and free thought, where everyone has the right to believe in what they want without fundies knocking at their door and trying to have it their own way.

I would support a world law that would ban all world militaries and weapons.

We'll just make spears and swords and go back to killing each other over religion again.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Great Tech, great thread. Good to see people looking for solutions. That is the answer to the hunger problem and all the other problems in the world.
Some people see a challenge, others, a problem.
Ever been to a fancy dinner. Ever seen how much food gets thrown out. This is why there is hunger. Cause people feed themselves, and don't worry about others. In fact, they look down on the hungry. Two fundemental challenges in society as a whole. We don't give enough thanks for what we have, and we try to step on each other to get to the top. Well, eventually, those that stepped their way to the top, are going to fall, because the people they used to get up there, just can keep holding them up.
Flagged this thread. Keep up the good stuff.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
stompk, how can you say this is good stuff? tech is supporting indoctrination as a solution to hunger. conversion won't feed starving children. buying bibles would just waste money that could go to feeding people.

hell, it's just like my argument over gideon's. why don't they make textbooks for the underpriveleged? i'm sure that education would be more worthwhile than hotel bibles, just like food is more worthwhile to the starving than an opiate.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
madness, I applausing any effort to solutions. Instead of jumping on the old blame bandwagon, I see people who are trying to come up with solutions to the problems of today. This is how we take back our government, and our future....
We come up with better solutions. What we need are people doing stuff to fix stuff, instead of arguing about arguing.
May not be perfect idea, but I haven't seen anybody suggest something better. It's not indoctrination, it's revelation. A revelation of hope.
madness, old foe friend of mine, I'll be looking for your ideas.

Bless this thread.

edit note: added another blue person praying.

[edit on 10-5-2007 by stompk]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
stompk, i gave my idea. take all the money being spent on religion and put it towards solving the problem. take all the time wasted on religion and devote it into researching solutions for the problem. take the multi-million dollar megachurches and use the money to buy food for the people and get it to them without the instability in the area getting in the way. instead of building the $25 some odd million insult to museums that is the creationist indoctrination building use it to feed people.

religion is just such a waste of time and money that would be better spent improving the world.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Spiritual food has zero calories, zero carbs, zero nutrition, zero real substance. It's the perfect weight loss diet, but it's not going to save a starving child.

I agree with madness. Let's feed the people, solve the problem, then, when their bellies are full and their children stop dying, they might just be grateful enough to listen to the "good news" with an open mind.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
You have voted MajorMalfunction for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month

seriously, you hit the nail on the head right there. these people need to meet their physical needs well before they meet their philosophical needs. what's the point in questioning the meaning of life if you don't have much of one to begin with?

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Spiritual food has zero calories, zero carbs, zero nutrition, zero real substance. It's the perfect weight loss diet, but it's not going to save a starving child.

MajorMalfunction, Spiritual Food weighs Infinite grams for Eternity. But that does not mean we should ignore the horrible problem of world physical food hunger.

Any good ideas on how we can feed the world?

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Ya know I really DON'T know.

I watched an episode of Penn & Teller's Bull#! where they were talking about GM foods and how they weren't the bugbear that certain groups were screaming they were. I think that GM foods ought not be discounted so quickly, especially the ones that have been designed to grow quickly and yield heavily in drought or salty conditions.

I also think that we're evolved to be omnivores so we do need meat protein in our diets in order to be in optimal health (vegetarians and vegans will naturally not agree with me). Perhaps we need to develop cloning technology to the point where we can grow what I call "vat meat."

Take a lovely Kobe beef tri tip for instance and grow a vat full of it. This would have the benefits of readily available high quality beef sans prions, remove however many methane-farting bovines from the planet, and end the need to find uses for the bits of carcasses that nobody really wants to eat anyway.

Can I have the Nobel Prize now?

(Thank you madness! I am very honored by your vote)

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Any good ideas on how we can feed the world?

dismantle religions and use the money that we save from abandoning religion to feed the world. take all that waste and put it towards feeding people and establishing an infrastructure so that eventually they can feed themselves through trade and/or farming.

how many times do i have to say it before you acknowledge it?

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   

dismantle religions and use the money that we save from abandoning religion to feed the world. take all that waste and put it towards feeding people and establishing an infrastructure so that eventually they can feed themselves through trade and/or farming.

how many times do i have to say it before you acknowledge it?

What is more logical, dismantling the military or religion?

The Department of Defense in the USA has a budget over $300 billion. Additionally, militaries sometimes kill people.

Religions frequently feed people from tithes. In the Catholic Church, priests, brothers, and nuns take vows of poverty so that they can better feed the hungry.

Any humane logic would then dictate that religions should grow and that militaries should decline.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
As much as I hate to admit it, I live in a HUD subsidized building run by the Sisters of Providence. I appreciate that many good works are done by religious orders. They are giving without expecting me to join them at the worship of their god, however, so I have a great deal of respect for the nuns who own my apartment building. Never once has any of them tried to pray for or with me, or convert me, or ask me to read the Bible or be evicted.

HOWEVER, there are just as many secular orders that do good works. Make a Wish Foundation, UNICEF, I could go on and on. They do not expect anyone to convert to their philosophies in order to help them. They just help because it is the humane thing to do.

While I agree that dismantling the militaries everywhere would be a way to save money for hunger relief and other charitable acts, I also think that these can be done without resorting to religious blackmail.

I think my own personal problem with the "spiritual food" theme is that it expects people to do something in order to get their basic human needs met; namely, convert to your religion. That's just so snake-oil sleazy bait-n-switch IMO. I have more respect for Doctors Without Borders and similar groups who help just in order to help. No strings attached. Just because it's the right thing to do.

I think my main issue with religious charities is that in a great many cases there are always strings attached.

[edit on 11-5-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   

What is more logical, dismantling the military or religion?

religion. it'd be easier, wouldn't leave a nation open to attack, and it would further the enlightenment of humanity

The Department of Defense in the USA has a budget over $300 billion.

and it contributes to the economy... yeah, how are we going to get rid of that part of our economy? it'd be easier to get rid of something that's just waste with no real purpose or benefit.

Additionally, militaries sometimes kill people.

so do religions

Religions frequently feed people from tithes.

so do secular charities.

In the Catholic Church, priests, brothers, and nuns take vows of poverty so that they can better feed the hungry.

actually, they don't take vows of poverty to feed the hungry, they do it to "get closer to god"

Any humane logic would then dictate that religions should grow and that militaries should decline.

actually, humane logic would dictate that religion and militaries should both decline with secular charity increasing.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   

actually, humane logic would dictate that religion and militaries should both decline with secular charity increasing.

madnessinmysoul, at least we can agree on one thing: military spending should decline (actually, I want world militaries eliminated!!!). I still have fears of thermonuclear war, world war, and the consequence of losing my family, friends, and others.

Weapons essentially exist for military reasons. If we ban militaries and weapons, we would eliminate over 99% of the killings in the world including "religious" killings.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Let me tell you what I think of your proposals:

1) A universal tax on people with above-poverty incomes in developed countries earmarked for feeding the hungry.

The developed countries would never agree.

2) A greater production and distribution of Holy books to the impoverished.

You want them to eat the bible ? They dont care about your God. They want rice.

3) Government subsidized corporations whose sole purpose is to manufacture and distribute food to the hungry.

Yeah, they have those already called, NGO's. They knock off money and feed themselves caivar.

4) Universal prayer (by all religious sects and non-religious sects).

Prayer never fed a starving man. Faith never cured a hungry stomach. Dont let anybody tell you different.

5) Missions (by all religious sects and non-religious sects).

So you want Muslims clerics and Jewish rabbis in the same room ?? Not happy with Palestine, you want to start something new huh? >

6) Government subsidized corporations whose sole purpose is to develop underdeveloped countries.

Yeah, that is going to happen. Even if the US is a christian nation, we are still capitalist. Money before Jesus is our motto, otherwise we would have nothing to give to Church come Sunday.

7) Worldwide education in farming techniques.

They are working with this but those farmer in the 3rd world wont accept our new fangled ideas over the wisdom of their ancestors. Do you want to be the one who tells them that they have been doing it wrong for millenia ?

Please expand on my list.

I can do that. Well, first thing I would do is stop giving them any money, machines or food or anything for that matter. Just knowledge. Thats all we should give them. Set up centers of learning regarding useful things like agricultural techniques, carpentry, electrical work, masonry etc. And hospitals. Nothing more. When they starve and see life around them crumbling and world forsaking them they will know that knowledge is the only way. The strong will live the weak shall die. All those who die should blame their respective gods for their misfortune and all those who live should thank us for imparting wisdom .

lso take them off the TV, no more starving children on TV to dull your day. The poor dont need our mercy or pity, they just need a chance to better themselves. Thats exactly what we should give them. Giving them your pity only makes them weak and they continue to remain helpless.
:bnghd:

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join