It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tannerite a legal explosive for unlicensed users?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I found out about this from coworkers, and was shocked to see that a powerful explosive can be purchased by anyone, and used for target practice. Basically it is a compound that can create a large explosion when it is hit with a fired rifle bullet/round.

WHY IS TANNERITE LEGAL? Answer: Manufacturing is a commerce issue governed by the feds. Page 58 CFR 5400.7 General Q&A Section, new edition: #36. When is a Federal manufacturing license required? "A manufacturer's license is needed ONLY by persons engaged in the business of manufacturing explosives materials for SALE, DISTRIBUTION, or for BUSINESS use. For example, persons engaged in the business of providing a blasting service using explosives of their own manufacture would be required to have a license. Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal, NON-commercial use would not need a license."

Source Link

Wikipedia Article link

Some video examples of this product being used;

(May contain explicit language)

www.youtube.com...

So, how likely is it that this could be used by domestic or foreign terrorists?

Do you think there should be some kind of regulation of this product?

[edit on 7-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Why does it need to be hit with a bullet to ignite? Shouldn't a normal primer do the job?

The probability of a domestic terrorist using this is an immeasurable one. Closer regulation of this product would do little to stop a terrorist act because there are many ways to fulfill such an act.

Do I think there should be some kind of regulation?

Over 18.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
solidox can be purchased by anyone and it can be turned into a powerful explosive solidox is solid oxygen that can be purchased for welding

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

What if the Terrorists get there hands on it?

This is the reason America is no more, and why we continue to lose whatever freedoms we have left, Limiting what we can and can not have because someone "may" do something bad with it, is not and never will be the solution to our problems.
It simply the road to An unbalanced system, In which the government holds more power then People, which is not, Contrary to sheeple beliefs, a good thing.

Stop living your lives in fear of these cowardly savages, stop trying to limit our freedoms for a false sense of security.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I really dont think terrorist would go for this stuff, considering the fact that it requires a bullet to detonate, it would be a challenge to use.

I dont think we need too many limitations on this, even though keeping it out of the hands of minors seems like a good idea, even if we limit this stuff terrorist will still be able to manufacture their own explosives. I think instead of trying to regulate all freedoms in order to gain safety we need to accept that there are people that do not like the western culture's politics, and want to hurt us. We need to protect freedom not by limiting it, but rather by understanding the risk of being free and remaining strong.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Hmm, would thermite set it off? I wonder if its the heat or the impact...either way, there must be more than one way to set it off.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackWidow23
Hmm, would thermite set it off? I wonder if its the heat or the impact...

Its the impact, it has to be hit by a high impact in order to set it off. I would assume another explosion would set it off, but I dont know what would be needed. Either way it is really only useful for target practice or avalanche prevention...

[edit on 4-6-2007 by StandAloneComplex]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
actually I Think you have to be 21 years of age and a background check, it detonates when the impact of a high powered rifle round, such as .223/5.56 and up hits the target, we went shooting with some guys who had some they purchased from tannerite.com real fun stuff

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
If you want to lock everything down tight, you need to outlaw bat guano and charcoal. The husks of most grain. Sharp objects. Blunt objects.
Object light enough to pickup, objects heavy enough to be thrown, dropped or left in the way.

Of course we could still stand around naked and strangle one another.
But it would not be as much fun, and frankly it would look a little well, gay.

No offense intended to gay people who probably know better than to behave like that.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a number of highly volatile materials are avaliable to the general public, hell, fertilizer is very well know and has a history of being used. The important thing is that when anyone buys suspicious quantities of such materials it is red flagged and investigated.

join