It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2007 Hurricane Season

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Didn't expect to start a thread on this so early but there's actually something out there (of the coast of the Carolinas) to keep an eye on......

www.thestormtrack.com...

Waters aren't that warm so I don't know it'll gain true tropical characteristics, still, it's very impressive....

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
There are lots of different satellite feeds here. That spiral looks very impressive...

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I was checking some animations just now. That spiral is growing fast and it looks like it might aim for the east coast.

Loop animation (It's "live", so it's here today and gone tomorrow...)

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Better animation than the one in my first post...

Storm is continues to look impressive, is subtropical now (meaning it's becoming more of a warm core system), and may indeed become our first named storm of the season.....

It's drifting around a bit and isn't really expected to go anywhere...

[edit on 8-5-2007 by ThatsJustWeird]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Andrea

...EARLY-SEASON SUBTROPICAL STORM FORMS OFF THE SOUTHEAST U.S. COAST...

SATELLITE IMAGERY AND AIRCRAFT DATA INDICATE THAT THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OFF THE SOUTHEAST U.S. COAST HAS ACQUIRED SUBTROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS.

AT 11 AM EDT...1500 UTC...A TROPICAL STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED ALONG THE SOUTHEAST COAST OF THE UNITED STATES FROM ALTAMAHA SOUND GEORGIA SOUTHWARD TO FLAGLER BEACH FLORIDA. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN THE NEXT 36 HOURS.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 1100 AM EDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF SUBTROPICAL STORM ANDREA WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 30.8 NORTH...LONGITUDE 79.3 WEST OR ABOUT 140 MILES...225 KM...SOUTHEAST OF SAVANNAH GEORGIA AND ABOUT 150 MILES...240 KM...NORTHEAST OF DAYTONA BEACH FLORIDA.

ANDREA IS MOVING GENERALLY TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 3 MPH. A CONTINUED SLOW MOTION AND A GRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST ARE EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ALONG THIS TRACK...THE CENTER OF ANDREA IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN OFFSHORE OF THE U.S. COAST THROUGH AT LEAST THURSDAY MORNING.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 45 MPH...75 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. LITTLE CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

WINDS OF 40 MPH EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 115 MILES...185 KM...MAINLY TO THE EAST OF THE CENTER.

THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT WAS 1003 MB...29.62 INCHES.

SINCE THE HEAVIEST RAINS ASSOCIATED WITH ANDREA ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN OFFSHORE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS... ANDREA IS NOT EXPECTED TO PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL OVER ANY LAND AREAS THROUGH AT LEAST THURSDAY MORNING.

REPEATING THE 1100 AM EDT POSITION...30.8 N...79.3 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST NEAR 3 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...45 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1003 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT 200 PM EDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 500 PM EDT.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
can't believe I'm hoping for a storm, but we here in florida, desperately need the rain. Not only is there a drought, but wildfires have the skies full of smoke. You cannot walk outside without smelling the fires.

I hope Subtropical storm Andrea develops a whole lot more convection and less wind strength.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Andrea from CNN

I am sooooooooo glad we got the old trees taken down in our back yard this week. They were an accident waiting to happen. I was scared of a hurricane coming through and knocking them down into the house.

Now it looks like an early, and perhaps active, Atlantic season??
YIKES!
Glad those trees are down.

Ya'll ... prepare. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir - but have your three day emergency backpacks ready. Have your supplies ready. Prepare the yard - take down dead branches etc etc

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
My take on this is just keep whistling in the dark people. Move along people nothing to see here, just a planet in the middle of a little warming. So, move along and remember, NOTHING IS GOING ON.

Right.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by newtron25
My take on this is just keep whistling in the dark people. Move along people nothing to see here, just a planet in the middle of a little warming. So, move along and remember, NOTHING IS GOING ON.

Right.

Please....I am not going to debate GCC, but using this one storm is silly. What about last year...*Crickets Chirping*...yeah That is what I thought.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't read thoughts (although some on this board claim to), so what exactly is it that you thought about - *crickets....wait for it....* - last year??

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm sure he was referring to the below average hurricane season last year.

Anyway, it is unusual for a named storm to develop so early, but it certainly doesn't necessarily mean this season will be crazy like the one two years ago.

[edit on 5/9/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The very fact that the somewhat predictability of storms...a loose weather pattern that could be used as a starting point..is totally gone. If there were any weather models before, say starting somewhere 15 to 20 years ago, then one of two things have happened: either our ability to monitor and accurately show what is going in weather-wise has increased so much as to make prior storm seasons look similar to each other OR the weather is truly getting more chaotic.

Thoughts?

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
When did doppler radar come about to the public . I say public because who know's how long the government had it before. I think in the late 70's. Before that a hurricane was a hurricane without a name. There was no such thing as a sub-tropical storms back then. Do we really know how many hurricanes were out there that didn't make land fall in the past. The earth is pretty big and weather cycles are really old and long. Give it another 20 years and then look back at the cycles of storms and hurricanes. I wonder how many early hurricanes and those so called tropical storms developed before we had radar and doppler. So a early storm means nothing to me. Just like getting snow in March or 85 degees in December.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Looks like this may be one of those years.....

Day one of hurricane season and....
Tropical Storm Barry forms

Forecast track:

Good news is, it's not strong and it's bringing rain to an area that still needs it.

Seeing shear on the south side of the storm, but there's still a low level circulation

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
We've been feeling Barry since yesterday, and are pretty much right in the bullseye of its path (Tampa Bay), but really, we treat Tropical Storms as no worse than summer thunderstorms...so we're just really glad to get the rain...we need it.

So far, no real power outages or other problems, and tides are only about 2 feet above normal.....

Serves as a good reminder to replenish the hurricane kit though....

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Since Barry, it has been very quiet in the Atlantic. Which is very...normal!

But we're quickly approaching that time of year when the season really begins, and there are a couple of things out there now that could develop. There's a low pressure area off of Bermuda that could be classified as a subtropical or tropical storm pretty soon. It's moving away from any land however and shouldn't be of any consequence.

There's another tropical wave to the east of the Islands. This wave is really trying to get it's act together, so heads up to anyone headed toward the Caribbean.
(there's another wave behind this one that may have to be watched too)

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
That low off of Bermuda, well, off of Maine now (fast mover), has become Tropical Storm Chantal
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

SATELLITE IMAGES AND QUIKSCAT DATA INDICATE THAT TROPICAL DEPRESSION THREE HAS BECOME A TROPICAL STORM WITH ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WINDS OF 40 MPH...65 KM/HR WITH HIGHER GUSTS. CHANTAL IS LOCATED ABOUT 330 MILES...530 KM...SOUTH OF HALIFAX NOVA SCOTIA AND IS MOVING RAPIDLY TOWARD THE NORTHEAST NEAR 23 MPH...37 KM/HR. CHANTAL IS NOT A THREAT TO THE UNITED STATES.

That area off of North Carolina is in association with a front so it's not tropical in nature....right now.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Can't forget about Hawaii!

Hurricane Flossie looks as though it may pass close enough to the Big Island to bring hurricane force winds there. Winds are currently at 130 mph

And as you can see in the image two posts above ^^ there's a tropical depression developing in the Atlantic. It'll probably be officially a tropical depression later this morning (est)

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Check this thing out;

Low

It will be around Friday before it threatens much of anything but keep an eye on it.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genfinity
Check this thing out;

Low

It will be around Friday before it threatens much of anything but keep an eye on it.

Link no longer works...
But I assume you're talking about what's now Tropical Depression four

Also have to keep an eye on what's heading into the Gulf. Could be a tropical depression today or tomorrow. They're going to possibly send in a plane tomorrow.

[edit on 13-8-2007 by ThatsJustWeird]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join