It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should people be drug tested in order to get on welfare?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Is anyone else subjected to drug testing by the government before getting jobs and/or benefits that come from our tax money?
I dunno' .. I'm asking.

Welfare should be treated like everything else .. no better and no worse.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
truck drivers are tested randomly for drugs....
and guess what....

sometimes the tests get screwed up, and bad things happen to good people.

how about we invent a 100% error free system before we mandate testing any more than it is, okay.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
When you're poor and on welfare, or other forms of public assistance, you need drugs to deal with the system.

Unfortunately, since a lot of companies now test employees for drug use, chances of getting off public assistance is tough with drug use.

But I've never seen a welfare mother arrested for flying a shipment of drugs into this country.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk
Alcohol would be vary hard to test for, if not impossible.

And WHY is this I wonder????
WHY can't one be tested for alchohol????
It is NOT some benign thing that does not linger in the system and do no harm, it totally wrecks your liver................
So WHY can't we test for alchohol?

I think the 'powers that be' have made some quiet rule about just never trying to do this at all, because keeping the people drunk and unaware is a goal.....or maybe the 'powers that be' are all so drunk themselves and do not want to set president about it being somehow wrong?
Alchohol poisoning KILLS people and this can be obvious during an autopsy.................so whats the deal with NOT being able to test for booze in the blood?

[edit on 10-5-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Is anyone else subjected to drug testing by the government before getting jobs and/or benefits that come from our tax money?
I dunno' .. I'm asking.

Welfare should be treated like everything else .. no better and no worse.

Yes Flyers.....................before being able to GET ANY Government Job there are drug tests involved....and then randoms after that.
Even the janitor jobs

And folks who go around testing for concrete density

Let alone the decent jobs that actually pay well................EXCEPT I believe for elected officials..............no elected official is drug tested go figure

They have a free ride ticket to do as they please.

DO not get me wrong I am NOT for drug testing. I think we already live in enough of a police prison type government, fascists society where the rich dictate to the rest of us. I would hate to see such a mandate come down no matter how much sense it makes because it infringes upon FREEWILL and we have enough of that already IMO.

[edit on 10-5-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Since applying for welfare is a voluntary activity I think that this should be required.

Then if you find that a person was using drugs that may hinder their ability to find gainful employment, you could mandate drug treatment as a condition of their receiving welfare.

You could also do an ongoing testing program. Think how many lives could be improved.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Since applying for welfare is a voluntary activity I think that this should be required.

Then if you find that a person was using drugs that may hinder their ability to find gainful employment, you could mandate drug treatment as a condition of their receiving welfare.

You could also do an ongoing testing program. Think how many lives could be improved.

Good call Wildbob.

I think that if more officials thought like this, then we all wouldnt be paying for some recipients to smoke crack. We could be helping out the real people that need that money to live.

Does anyone disagree with Wildbobs approach?

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
You need to stop assuming that the only wrong place welfare money can go is drugs. How about people buying McDonalds with food stamps? The entire welfare system is a failed attempt to redistribute wealth.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Why should we stop the testing at just "illegal drugs"

I see people in my line of work so Baked on prescribed pharmaceuticals that they are a danger not only to themselves but to their coworkers.

Is this just a thread to target welfare recipients?

I say, test anyone receiving a paycheck from tax dollars and anyone using facilities that are supported by our taxes such as highways.

Alcohol is also a drug too don't forget. Just because you can purchase it legally doesn't mean that it isn't a danger to the alcohol abuser and those around them.

If you are not clean and sober, I don't want you working for me [a taxpayer].

But if this is just about welfare recipients; kick the fat and ugly ones off the welfare roles too. They're disgusting!!

[edit on 13-5-2007 by whaaa]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
If you keep giving them permission to trample on your rights,...they will.

Whatever someone does on their own time is nobody's business, as long as they are harming no one.

Anyway, why test the poor, who have absolutely no power to make the type of decisions which will impact others?

I say if anyone should ever be tested, it should be those whose policies affect the rest of the world. Yes that's right, test those in government, starting with the ones at the very top because some of the things they have pulled makes it appear that they are the ones who may have drug problems. There's certainly something wrong with them.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Agreed that the policymakers in Washington act as if they should be tested, but it seems to me that there is a well defined line between sheer idiocy and addiction.

I think that the policymakers should have a thorough mental evaluation before they can start submitting legislation that could directly affect our futures. If this would happen then maybe we would be able to test whoever we want for whatever substances we want.

Would this help?

or

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   

The problem is that they're elected. By mandating some sort of mental health check, it becomes possible for the people to be overridden. Who decides what would prevent someone from taking office? Why, those who are already in power, of course. It's just begging for manipulation.

Even without that analysis, the concept itself is anti-republican. If the people elect someone, it's because they want that person.

[edit on 14-5-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Sometimes people take drugs - not voluntarily initially but due to their desperate circumstances and the need to escape. Testing the needy is just another example or form of discrimination and basically telling someone that the only way they can feed their children is if they go through a drug testing process and if they fail the test their kids will die. YES I know this can lead to some long debates and say that kids go hungry anyways, but again, once you open Pandora's box you will have issues like the costs involved in such mass testing and it will affect taxes eventually and then it will snow ball. It will be cheaper for the government to spend MORE in the SHORT term to eradicate drug dealings than to spend a lot in the long term to continually do testing on each and every individual that requires welfare. This too will have a positive knock on - the rich ALSO do drugs so they will also be affected by the drug trade eradication or at LEAST reduction and there is no discrimination in doing this. Perhaps we may never get rid of the drug trade (considering the government probably makes their share from this; not to mention the cops) BUT rather make it MORE difficult to get drugs than to get food!! I think the world is rotten to the core with discrimination and this will just create even more animosity which we really don't need. There is already enough with Bush in power.

[edit on 15/5/2007 by shearder]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
If they are going to test welfare applicants; let's not stop there.........

TEST

People that are running for public office
Driver license applicants
Prospective Teacher applicants
Corporate Administrative types
Truck Drivers
Anyone that works around children
Mothers and Fathers that have children
Any person that is payed from public taxes

And let's not just single out drug users, get the drunks too.........

Well Said, give this man a public servants position... jokes aside you have hit the nail on the head so to speak. I am in agreement with you.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
In Australia they have what's called "Work for the Dole", which basically means work for welfare. If anyone on this program is found to be intoxicated they loose their benefits. What's fairer than that?

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Why should we stop the testing at just "illegal drugs"

I see people in my line of work so Baked on prescribed pharmaceuticals that they are a danger not only to themselves but to their coworkers.

Is this just a thread to target welfare recipients?

I agree, there are many many professionals who, when they walk, rattle from all the prescribed medication. But, cos its 'prescribed' its ok, I beg to differ.

The OP's question is grounded in stereotypical assumption...the OP must have considered that drugs and welfare are a major issue to begin with. I have read some threads lately that make me cringe...for eg., Should we sterilise the poor? Threads like this one are very disappointing.

One response suggested welfare was 'voluntary'... hmmm what is the alternative? Starving or living on the street? I have met some incredible integral people who are living on welfare. One woman, a widow lost her court claim to compensate for the death of her husband by a drunk driver...(who was not on welfare). He was brain damaged and later killed himself. Quite simply the court stated the fact he killed himself was not attributed to the accident. Bollocks! They settled costs but unfortunately, she was left to raise 8 children on her own.

I met another welfare recipient who up until the day he came home and found his wife had killed herself and their two children due to PND had worked and never received govt assistance at all. Since that day, he is recovering from a nervous breakdown and after 3 years, now returning to work.

I know of another woman who was married to a successful professional gent. She caught him out -> affair and yet decided to stay with him for the sake of the kids. Four kids. Unfortunately, the guy thought more of his new romance and kicked them out of the house and the new flame moved in. Imagine a nice big house on a huge property... Due to her emotional state she left the marital home (and I urge all those being shafted to cement themselves to the home and not budge, especially if you have children)...anyway, as she left and he had money while she struggled to survive, she was shafted in settlement and he kept the house. She had a heart attack the day of court and became addicted to prescribed medication. She is now rehabilitated and her kids and herself are building there lives with the little amount they get from welfare and in a govt house. Wow, what a change in circumstances. One minute her family were living a blessed life and then they lined up for welfare.

I could go on and on with examples of life experiences... but that will do, hopefully you might understand what I am trying to say?

Image one minute you have money in the bank, a career etc and then in one fowl swoop, your life becomes a mess due to external influence and you then have to line up for welfare? Maybe for some people, it could be the best thing that ever happened to them. Maybe they wouldnt be so judgemental or stereotypical.

I wont go into the psychology of dependency as yet, hopefully I wont have to? Perhaps some members might get the gist of what I am saying?

You never know what is around the corner... so for all of you who throw a stone and judge/categorise... dwell on that for a moment. How would you like to be treated? Would you like to be the subject of a stereotype? How would you feel if someone cast a judgement on you when life has come along and devastated you? The higher you sit, the further you have to fall and don't ever forget...the people you meet on the way up are the same people you meet on the way down.

if this is just about welfare recipients; kick the fat and ugly ones off the welfare roles too. They're disgusting!!

Well, I send you some fat vibes in the hope that your fat experience will help you to become more understanding and compassionate. I also hope when you are fat and disgusting you get to endure everything you need to endure for you to stop being so superfiscial.

I can't tell you how upsetting it is to read some of your views. I guess I hope for more understanding and compassion... it is few and far between these days...

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777

if this is just about welfare recipients; kick the fat and ugly ones off the welfare roles too. They're disgusting!!

Well, I send you some fat vibes in the hope that your fat experience will help you to become more understanding and compassionate. I also hope when you are fat and disgusting you get to endure everything you need to endure for you to stop being so superfiscial.

I can't tell you how upsetting it is to read some of your views. I guess I hope for more understanding and compassion... it is few and far between these days...

NJE777, I'm sorry, I thought my sarcasm was evident. I said that as a reaction to the rightwingers that like to single out different groups to hate depending on the political winds. What I was trying to do was show their over reaction to a nonproblem.

Please take back the "fat Vibes" as I am doing quite well in that department on my own.

Namaste
whaaa

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

NJE777, I'm sorry, I thought my sarcasm was evident. What I was trying to do was show their over reaction to a nonproblem.

Please take back the "fat Vibes" as I am doing quite well in that department on my own.

Namaste
whaaa

Well, I am sorry too... mwah! I didn't realise you were being sarcastic.
It is a relief to hear that though!

Namaste

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by styxxz
In Australia they have what's called "Work for the Dole", which basically means work for welfare. If anyone on this program is found to be intoxicated they loose their benefits. What's fairer than that?

I like that!! I would certainly support or give my vote for this. BUT again, it needs to be policed very carefully and, being a father, my first thoughts go out to the kids that will suffer. This could get long and drawn out but I am sure there are ways to deal with parents that abuse the benefits and the system can still help the kids. I hate to see kids starving and that becoming their only way of life and knowing nothing more. We are raising the next generation of criminals by forcing kids to be self sufficient because we don't care enough and "punish" them indirectly because of the parents' indiscretions and crimes.

We need to (sh!t – sounding like an evangelist LOL) look after the kids today to make a better life for ALL of us tomorrow. OK OK I am NOT preaching – just saying. Unfortunately we can’t always depend on the cops or the government because they are mostly as bad as, or worse than, the parents on drugs etc. They are in it for personal gains and everything else is really secondary. You know, what I do see, and I believe other nations can learn from this, blacks in South Africa stand together (mostly) and if they are unhappy about something they stand together, literally, and make a change – ok, sometimes they go about it the wrong way but they usually get something done. While most other nations/races sit in comfy homes and wait for someone else to make the change or take a stand that we can also benefit from. Now we all sit and b!tch and moan about what “Jack” did and does but we go home each day and sit and moan about it till we go to sleep and wake up and moan about it. We really need to get out there and make the changes ours selves – government won’t.

REMEMBER, the fish goes rotten from the head… (government and our “security” divisions/forces (cops etc – not saying ALL cops are on the take)

[edit on 16/5/2007 by shearder]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by styxxz

Wow, styxxz. That is amazing. Now why on Earth cant the US adopt those same kinds of controls.

This is exactly what our country needs. The people that need the money can work to get it, and if they break the ground rules, then no money.

This country cannot take any more societal leeches. Bring on Work for the Dole.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join