It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machine can induce deep sleep.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Scienists have produced a machine that they say can induce the deep sleep stage, which could enable people to reap the benefits of an eight hour sleep in as little as a power nap.

A new discovery could make it possible to take a "power nap" at the flick of a switch.

Scientists have found a way to turn on deep sleep at will using a machine that magnetically stimulates the brain.

Sweet dreamsA device worn on the head could in squeeze the benefit of eight hours' sleep into just two or three hours.

Scientists in the US used a technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to induce slow waves - indicative of the deepest phase of sleep and essential for learning ability and mood, in a group of sleeping volunteers.

A TMS device sends harmless magnetic signals through the scalp and skull and into the brain, where it activates electrical impulses.

Source: Machine can induce deep sleep

I think this could be a wonderfull device for those people who suffer from bad sleep hygeine. I regularly get by on 2-4 hours sleep a night, not by choice, have done since serving in S. Armagh, so a good nights sleep would be lovely.

I'd like to think there would be a lot of research done into the side effects of passing these waves through your brain on a regular basis. We get enough warnings about mobile phones and now wireless internet, hopefully this device will be checked first.

For the entrepreneurs out there, the chance of having the benefits of a full nights sleep packed into a small nap would be great i'd imagine, freeing up the rest of the hours for productivity.

From a conspiracy point of view, this device could raise many questions.

The harmfull effect on the brain for starters.

Also, how easy can sleep be induced? Is it really as easy as a "flick of a switch"? and could it be used against a person like a drugging effect.

Interesting story though.

CX.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
OK....I'm game. Where do I get one of these machines? Considering that I have no "sleep hygiene" -- typically getting about four hours of sleep a night -- this would probably change my life!

As it is, I live on coffee and my idea of dreaming is listening to George Noorey or Art Bell on Coast to Coast.

Still, the idea that TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) is "harmless" or safe is dubious. Anything that can promote such a profound effect certainly must have some side-effects or potential risks.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting post. I'm definitely going to check up on this.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
cool i want one but i do like sleeping on the side

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
do they make them for 5 week olds

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This has been around a while in other forms.

I think about 10, maybe 12 years ago National Semiconductor was off doing a lot of research into this, at least Bob Pease wrote up a big story on how it was going to revolutionize things.

Apparently you only need a couple of hours worth a day, with some catch-up time once a week.

That device used little stick-on electrodes though, not magnetic coils.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'd love something like this

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I suffer from low level narcolepsy. I can sleep for maximum of few hours at once, then I have to do something before going to bed again. This might have a good impact on me and others who suffer from this. Good find.

top topics

join