It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Refuting God - Thoughts, People?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Your wit is exceeded only by your wit. (and if you happen to miss the sarcasm, it was there). Are you so bereft of rational arguments that you have to sink to insults? This is a discussion forum, not a place for trolls.

How about reading the questions posed and points offered in this thread and addressing them politely and with data?

Occam

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Not to throw the topic further away from where it started but, Thomas in many ways reflects the world today. I mean look at it like this, do you see the similarities? Thomas believed, when Jesus was here on earth. Next, once Jesus died he had doubts, how many of us have doubts on something we know as true then get handed gossip? And lastly, after Jesus was risen and showed himself to the disciples Thomas, had to put his finger into the nail scar, touch the spear scar so that he could believe.

Now looking at that could you see that the world is getting to the point where we need to see proof so that we know it exists? (I know we are already there as far as my question goes)

[edit on 14-5-2007 by followerofchrist]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
why must we refute god? it's not our duty to refute a hypothesis that has absolutely nothing to support itself but blind faith.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I agree with you, MIIMS, but I got the impression that MMF's motivation was defensive. I've met very few atheists who were proselytizing, but a great many Christians (and Moslems) who feel it's their duty to actively convert everyone they meet.

I never bring up religion or my beliefs, but when asked I'm honest. Then the missionary work begins. I usually try to change the subject, but it doesn't work very often. One of their main techniques is to give me a few "proofs" of god's existence. That's when I feel obligated to offer refutations.

I believe MMF was looking for ammunition against those who assault her.

Occam

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well its simply getting harder and harder to talk to people about religion because it can easily offend someone.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I agree, especially if they aren't interested in talking about it, and the first person insists on bringing the subject up. It would be much better if everyone enjoyed their beliefs by themselves and didn't try to press them onto others.

Unfortunately, many sects have proselytization as a requirement for their followers.

In the past, agnostics and atheists stayed in the closet for fear of social ostracism and job loss. This made the religious think there was no opposition to their missionary work, but recently the non-believers have been more willing to object to these conversion techniques. I think this change has confused many theists who wonder why it's become harder to talk with people about religion.

Occam

[edit on 14-5-2007 by Occam]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join