It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans defect to the Obama camp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Republicans defect to the Obama camp

www.timesonline.co.uk

Although Dowd has yet to endorse a candidate, he said the only one he liked was Obama. “I think we should design campaigns that appeal, not to 51% of the people, but bring the country together as a whole,” Dowd said

Disagreements on the war have not stopped John Martin, a Navy reservist and founder of the website Republicans for Obama, from supporting the antiwar senator. He joined the military after the Iraq war and is about to be deployed to Afghanistan.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The article is an interesting read.
A black Ronald Reagan ?
While there will only ever be one Ronald Reagan the US could do with a leader who gives people the sense that tomorrow can only get better.

I don't know how much to read into Republican supporters switching to Obama camp. Perhaps some traditional Republican supporters are that unhappy with the party and its candidates.

I don't understand how someone could support intervening in Sudan on human rights grounds and yet support a withdrawl from Iraq which would lead to a colossal human rights disaster. But that's just me it doesn't to bother the Republican supporters who are switching camps.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-5-2007 by xpert11]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I'd prefer any Republican over Obama, but I think I'd rather have Obama than Hillary, for whatever that's worth.

Although the lipservice from Ms. Clinton may be more inline with my beliefs, I just can't bring myself to trust her.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
I don't know how much to read into Republican supporters switching to Obama camp.

It just means that they haven't bothered to look at his EMPTY resume or the fact that he is not qualified at all to be POTUS. It just means that they haven't seen that the man has no foreign policy experience and has no economic platform.

It just means that they have caught 'Obama fever'. Hopefully they will come out of this illness in relatively good political health.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It just means that they haven't bothered to look at his EMPTY resume or the fact that he is not qualified at all to be POTUS.

Come on. He's done more coke than Bush. And admitted it! Though being honest may indeed make him unqualified.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Ronald Regan- everyone wants to be him. Invoking his name while his (Ronald's) own family rolls up their eyes and dont see any similarities in any of the presidential hopefuls.
Lets not forget that Ronald was a person, from humble beginnings- what he did have that none of these ##### have today is diplomacy and common sense, listening capabilities, good speech, etc, something no body has, and Obama does not pocess it either. He reminds me of a Flamingo walking or an ostrich, and he does not have that "relaxed" diplomacy which Ronald Regan was born with. Also, he was not without fault, now, was he? I remember plenty being said during his tenure.

Anyway, if they want those days back, they should have frozen that leader- and brought him back. Nobody else will be him and to keep invoking his name is stupid to say the least. Its not a compliment in my view, its politicking at its worst.

Republicans defecting to Obama
There's cause for concern right there, i suppose.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I don't want to be a senile old B- movie actor.

I lived through RR reign and he wasn't all that... he was a grade B actor and a grade B president as well but he set the tone of conservative political discourse for years to come... smile wave the flag and evoke mom and apple pie and pay no attention to the real issues that affect real lives.

RR's greatest crime in my opinion was repealing the law requiring equal air time for political candidates and discourse. Thanks to that one act, despite conservative claims to the contrary, theirs is almost the only voice on the air waves and the level of political discourse has dramatically declined.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It just means that they haven't seen that the man has no foreign policy experience and has no economic platform.

Well you have to admit that the tactic has worked for the dems when it came to the mid term election. The dems were elected off the back of there anti Bush platform rather then any great plans for the future.

Maybe the Republicans who switched to Obama camp think they are backing the winner of the 2008 election or they cant bring themselves to join the Hilary camp and they have written there party chances off.

Obama says the right things but there is a difference between giving speeches and putting words into action.

apc

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Looks like they just don't want Hillary to win the primary.

Hillary stands a chance to win if she does. Obama does not.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Looks like they just don't want Hillary to win the primary.

Hillary stands a chance to win if she does. Obama does not.

I don't know about Obama's chances but Hillary winning the nomination would be a disaster for the Democrats and would be a huge mistake. She would polarize us on the left and unite the right like nothing else would and I really don't think she has a snowballs chance in hell of winning.

apc

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well, Hillary fits the pattern of orchestration. Obama does not. I don't care much for the politics as I feel they have minimal impact, except as something to manipulate.

Plus sad reality is they don't call it the White House because of the paint job. I'm would hope most Democrats know this, and won't risk such an obvious loss. Maybe some day, but that day has not yet come.

I maintain these Republican defectors understand this fairly simple set of circumstances, and are trying to undermine Hillary. I doubt it will work.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by apc]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
That Obama, he's just so magical isn't he? (The LA Times thinks so!)

Republican defectors...I doubt it. I love the way the media makes up a story, then goes through no telling how many people trying to find one that agrees with them. They are the ones that get quoted to justify their story. That is how the media works folks!

Don't fall for it!

[edit on 8-5-2007 by RRconservative]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Hang it up RR. Every time you open your mouth you show off your ignorance.

Personally I know quite a few Republicans who are so disgusted with the party that they are considering defecting. Thing is they aren't looking to the Democrats, they are looking for a good moderate independent.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   
And from Anonymous Posts

Original Anonymous Post By: anon_112650
I am a very committed Republican.
I am working hard, supporting Obama.
If he wins the Primary, Hillary is out.
I do not believe he can win the General.
This country is not ready for a Black president.
Anything to stop the Hildebeast.

RRconservative it looks like your going to have to eat your words on this one. If this person is wrong and Obama wins the election he/she gamble will have failed in the most specular way.
For those who are seeking a Republican victory in 2008 in the very least they have to ask why people like the person aren't getting behind one of his/her candidates.

The Republican party certainly needs to energize its supporter base and any undecided voters if they are going to in 2008.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
xpert11....

I can see if it was a Mrs. Bill Clinton vs Obama contest, how some Republicans could back Obama. Obama is a "magical" type of guy. (At least the LA Times thinks so)

But I see it the other way. I want Mrs. Bill Clinton to get the Democrat nomination. I think Republicans should be doing everything possible to insure that happens, instead of trying to derail her.

The Republican field is very weak right now. I feel the next President of the United States is not even in the race at this point. Time is running out though, and someone needs to step up quick.

Whoever the Republican nominee is, would have an easier time against Mrs. Bill Clinton, than they would Obama Hussein Barack.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Whoever the Republican nominee is, would have an easier time against Mrs. Bill Clinton, than they would Obama Hussein Barack.

Right. Because a drag queen from NYC, just ooooooozes con-fi-dence.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Right. Because a drag queen from NYC, just ooooooozes con-fi-dence.

You give "her" too much credit. At least drag queens wear dresses/skirts now and again at the very least.

I think I'd be shocked if I saw her in a dress.

top topics

join