It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya Rearming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
After years of decay and political outsiderness, the Libyian military has gone on a $1.723bn spending spree in Russia, ordering some pretty potent kit:

12x Su-30MKL "Flanker"
Pic of similar aircraft: www.defenseindustrydaily.com...
(I'm not sure if the -MKL will have canards, but it is basically a multi-role capable Su-30 type intended for both strike and air defence)

12x MiG-29SMT "Fulcrum" - much improved relative to older Fulcrums
Pic of similar aircraft: www.aeronautics.ru...
(not clear if Libyian Fulcrums will be single or two seaters)

??? S-300PMU-2 Area Air Defence SAM
Pic of S-300PMU-2: www.ausairpower.net...
(Not clear if Libyian version will have trailer mounted launchers or truck mounted as shown. Generally equivilent to Aster or Patriot)

20x SA-15 "Guantlet" (Tor-M1) Low Altitude SAM
Pic of Tor: www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

2x Kilo Class (P636) SSK submarines
Pic of similar boat: www.jinsa.org...

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
i am really supprised they havent got any toys from the US for giving up WMDS openly and so on,

guess no toys from uncle SAM

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
France is still hopeful of flogging a handful of Rafale to them. The Russian deal is allegedly influenced by debt obligations, so a seperate Western arms deal isn't out of the question. Not sure how the new French President features in all this - is Libya still on the 'good' list and vice versa???

Rumours are that Italy going to sell a bunch of transport aircraft to replace the G222s.

And with Algeria apparently favouring a mixed fleet of Rafale and Flanker also, it looks like Libya's purchases are more about keeping up with the Jones' than a major ramp-up in capability.

[edit on 7-5-2007 by planeman]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
With the purchase of both Su-30MK2s and Mig-29SMTs, there is no longer a point to purchase another fighter. Su-30MK2s would obviously form the strike force of Libyo while Mig-29s will be used for airdefence.

Libya is purchasing the Su-30MK2 variant which is the variant originally developed for PLAN. It is not based on the canard A2A oriented MKI.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Considering the landmass of Libya, and the large numbers of personnel assigned to their armed forces, the size of this purchase is really rather small.

Repayment of debt to the Russians is probably a very accurate assessment.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What I want to know is why Russia is arming Middle Eastern and in this case an African nation? I am really curious as to what benefit Russia hopes to obtain from an armed Middle East and Africa .

[edit on 9-5-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well, just a wild guess, but the $1.723 billion might have something to do with it

I don't think it has as much to do with geopolitics as it does with money.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Well, just a wild guess, but the $1.723 billion might have something to do with it

I don't think it has as much to do with geopolitics as it does with money.

Maybe not. However, I tend to think that it has much to do with geopolitics. But, I guess money is just as good of an answer as any.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
With the purchase of both Su-30MK2s and Mig-29SMTs, there is no longer a point to purchase another fighter. Su-30MK2s would obviously form the strike force of Libyo while Mig-29s will be used for airdefence.

Libya is purchasing the Su-30MK2 variant which is the variant originally developed for PLAN. It is not based on the canard A2A oriented MKI.

WOW!!
I'm seeing you here after a couple of years or something!
Good to hear from you..
Welcome back?

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Nice post.

I'm not too sure about Libya owing money to the Russians - didn't Libya export oil to Russia suring the 70s and 80s?

As to geopolotics SpeakerofTruth, those canny Ivans have always wanted a foothold in the African continent.

They have tried and failed to have an influence in Egypt, The Sudan, Somalia, Eritea, Ethiopia and Djibouti. The Russians did have a major influence in Aden during the late 60s, helping to foster the revolution there and helping to create the Republic of Yemen.

You'll no doubt notice that all those counties have one thing in common. With the exception of Ethiopia, all border the Red Sea and the Gulf of Yemen.

Russia had coveted this region for many years during the Cold War for whoever controls the Red Sea/Gulf of Yemen, controls what passes through the Suez Canal.

Are we beginning to see a resurge of Russian political influence?

new topics

top topics

join