It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious justification to hit women?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Recently my boyfriend was watching videos on YouTube and came across this video..

I don't understand how one can honestly justify abuse againt a woman or anyone for that matter, especially under a religious belief.

I don't know much about the koran, though I do know with the bible it states do unto others as you would want done unto you. So if you beat the one you love shouldn't you expect this in return? (Even still this is a contradition as somehow it is justifying beatings.) Does anyone know if these rules apply in the koran?

There is a bible on my book shelf that makes a great dust collector as I don't see how a man can say that they heard the voice of God (or in the case of the koran, Allah) that this is of value considering that such happenings today would be classified as schizophrenia.

A great site to point out contradictions, absurdities and such in the bible, koran and book of mormon is the Skeptic's Annotated Bible

[edit on 5/6/2007 by JeSuisAKittyCat]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This here's another reason I'm against organized religion. It's been used to keep women and children as chattel for centuries.

Ridiculous zealotry and chauvinism.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
This here's another reason I'm against organized religion. It's been used to keep women and children as chattel for centuries.

No doubt. But it's going to bite them in the blankety-blank in the end....when Joan of Arc returns instead of her husband....

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I hope the sweet embrace of death finds such Muslims urgently. Death to Islam!

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by JeSuisAKittyCat

I don't understand how one can honestly justify abuse againt a woman or anyone for that matter, especially under a religious belief.

I don't know much about the koran, though I do know with the bible it states do unto others as you would want done unto you. So if you beat the one you love shouldn't you expect this in return? (Even still this is a contradition as somehow it is justifying beatings.) Does anyone know if these rules apply in the koran?

There is a bible on my book shelf that makes a great dust collector as I don't see how a man can say that they heard the voice of God (or in the case of the koran, Allah) that this is of value considering that such happenings today would be classified as schizophrenia.
A great site to point out contradictions, absurdities and such in the bible, koran and book of mormon is the Skeptic's Annotated Bible
[edit on 5/6/2007 by JeSuisAKittyCat]

The Quran actually orders a man to beat his wife if she doesn't obey him.

Quran 4:34: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in their sleeping places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

Here are some Hadiths about women; there are literally hundreds of them.

Sahih Bukhari V4 #464 wrote:

The Prophet said, "I looked at Paradise and found poor people forming the majority of its inhabitants; and I looked at Hell and saw that the majority of its inhabitants were women."

Sahih Bukhari V1 B9 #490 wrote:

The things which annul the prayers were mentioned before me. They said, "Prayer is annulled by a dog, a donkey and a woman (if they pass in front of the praying people)." I said, "You have made us (i.e. women) dogs. I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in my bed between him and the Qibla. Whenever I was in need of something, I would slip away. for I disliked to face him."

Sahih Bukhari V7 B62 #113 wrote:

Allah's Apostle said, "The woman is like a rib; if you try to straighten her, she will break. So if you want to get benefit from her, do so while she still has some crookedness."

Sahih Bukhari V7 B 62 #30 wrote:

Allah's Apostle said, "Evil omen is in the women, the house and the horse

SR

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
^^ That's the thing with religion and the text's that represent them eighty percent of what is written is bullsh*t and a product of the times, society and norms they were written in and twenty percent actually deals with humanitys spiritual issues and offers a rough guide of how to behave and things that don't really change. In my opinion anyway so don't qoute me over the percentages it's just from my personal encounters with religion.

So as more and more time goes by and we learn more and more through the times and as society progresses the majority of what is written in the texts look outdated as they should be.

[edit on 7-5-2007 by SR]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I've read parts of the Quaran and some of the quotes you posted Beliquest.

Every time I hear any 'holy' books advocating these dispicable acts, I come away from the reading with a vile taste in my mouth. It sickens me to no end.

The disgraceful thing about it is the fact that these teachings are passed on down through the generations.

Try to imagine what goes on in these womens minds when the husbands practice this on an every day basis? Not a nice picture, what so-ever.

Women, out of fear, (not love) will have been molded into mindless and subserviant robots.

I just thought of something.

I wonder if the mothers, aunts, grandmothers, etc. teach their decendents HOW to take a good clout on the face? Did any of you ever think of that?

(The Art of being beaten to a pulp...now at your bookstores...reserve your copy today) Pretty nasty eh?

(Oh wait...I forgot!...these woman are NOT allowed to maintain an education; therefore, can't read.)

Females born into a world to learn how to take the brunt of a blow without any relaliations on their part.

That is not an evolving civilization; DE-EVOLVING is more like it.

UNGA BUNGA

[edit on 7-5-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
I wonder if the mothers, aunts, grandmothers, etc. teach their decendents HOW to take a good clout on the face?

My dad did! And also imparted to me the magic of his right hook, left undercut combo! (he was a boxer in the Army)

I have survived and also thrived!

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
That's just rediculous! If a woman is battering her husband, he has a legal and moral right to sustane the agressive behavior by force. The right does not include forcable impact to the body.

Meaning you can grab her tightly by the arms while she is throwing puches and force her away from you. You can push her down. You can push her away. You can not use force to slam her body against anything.

Men are far more physically stronger than most women. This task generaly not need much force.

Everyone has a right to self defense. Including the man against battering woman.

More and more men are starting to admit that they had problems with a battering wife.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
That's just ridiculous!

If I am assuming incorrectly that your post was in response to mine, just above, then please disregard me.

BUT if it is, I fear I did not make myself clear at all.

I'm not married but when I was, I DID not participate in violence, either giving or receiving. I find it abhorrent. Violence, that is.

However, my dad loved me and taught me many things most girls never know or understand. He confided in me and we trust eachother. I thank God that he never really left me when he crossed over!!

Of course, most men consider me a 'handful' and I do have a tendency to lead when dancing.

Everyone has a right to self defense. Including the man against battering woman.

More and more men are starting to admit that they had problems with a battering wife.

Absolutely correct! Instigation is just as troublesome as initiation. The balance has been skewed for thousands of years and I am so glad it is finally heading toward restoration. Especially when it comes to justice!

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The only way that I would ever physically harm a woman is if she pulled a weapon out on me, and then I'd lay her out. It has been my experience that if you make a female mad enough to pull a weapon on you, she is going to use it. I have a stab wound to prove it.

As far as using religion as a way to condone abuse of women, uh... well, I believe that was a Cleric in the video so... Need I say more?

P.S: The first reason this guy gave for beating a woman is beyond ludicrous. Beat a woman because that is all she has ever experienced? . :shk: Yeah, okay. Makes perfect sense.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
oh, I get it. It's sorta like rap.
hollah at me allah!

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
You know, there are things in the Koran that say to beat women, and there are things in the Koran that imply that beating women is wrong.

So this cleric is deciding to only follow the parts that says its okay.

But like all holy books the Koran is old, cryptic, and hypocritical, so who knows what to follow? :shk: What hes saying disgusts me so much I nearly threw up a little in my mouth.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
That's just ridiculous!

If I am assuming incorrectly that your post was in response to mine, just above, then please disregard me.

No not yours dude, I thought of that. I should of quote the first post. My mistake!

Later.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by MrMysticism]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

Sighs I am ashamed not at you but because the way you feel. What are you supposed to think when religion goes haywire- People stop believing. I don't want to offend you so I will choose my words wisely. Beating women is wrong and no one should condone this practice. I think talking is much better anyway. Sure when your indanger then I think you have every right to defend yourself.

And one thing I cannot stand is chauvinism. Oh I'm a big man I'm incharge !!You must obey me.....Pfffft.:shk: I think here they get on this power kick and think their right. But thankfully not all men are like this. And another reason perhaps why people don't fully understand the Bible is because the Roman Cathlic Church kept the bible texts from ordinary citizens which threw them into the Dark Ages. Sure I have a Bible but I heard there's perhaps 3 to 4 different versions that contain different books.
One Bible for one belief system another for the Jews etc. Now I would have to say the religions are all thrown out of wack. You really made me think about this and this is how I feel.:bnghd:

But don't give up without a fight. This world is big and there are many things I don't understand and somethings are not meant to be understood example like where God came from. No one knows- Without the Bible we would have no faith. That is the only clue that we have. Another survival tool is faith. Its up to you if you want to believe or not. Maybe its better to have faith in a spirital being then having no faith at all.

MM I know your having a difficult time- But your still here so that tells me that you have the will to live. So your here for a reason and thats up to you to find that. Maybe your purpose is to find faults in our religious systems and that will compell people to rethink on some issues that definalty needs to be addressed.

Sorry I hope I'm not rambling here and hope I made some sense to everyone.

new topics

top topics

join