It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video - How the Brits do defensive fire!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Nice video illustrating how we (the Royal Irish & a few engineers) looked after ourselves in Afghanistan.

Note the guy on the 51mm mortar losing his voice from shouting and sounding a bit squeeky! Also note no-one shouting "YEEHAW" or "YEA" whilst getting the rounds down. Just a rather sedate "he he, bye bye Taliban" from the engineer who blows up the enemy posion with 8 bar mines at the end.

Faugh a Ballagh

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6-5-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I love the way the yanks ussualy have about 20-30 marines/soldiers randomly firing at the same time on full auto at nothing!!! When 1 soldier/marine could it, on single shot. They'd save lots of money on ammunition.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
PaddyInf nice topic

also nice to see UK troops in action

you should have embeded the video and save people the trouble of having to visit youtube :p

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Best qoute of the whole thing: "I only managed to get off 162 rounds it was that quick!"

Got to love the irish for thier humour lol.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Also note no-one shouting "YEEHAW" or "YEA" whilst getting the rounds down. Just a rather sedate "he he, bye bye Taliban" from the engineer who blows up the enemy posion with 8 bar mines at the end.

I've been down range with a lot of Brits and a few Irish, Italians, Indians and some from a few other countries..
They scream and yell with the rest of us. Just about everyone does in a war.
Its not an American thing.

I love the way the yanks ussualy have about 20-30 marines/soldiers randomly firing at the same time on full auto at nothing!!! When 1 soldier/marine could it, on single shot. They'd save lots of money on ammunition.

You've probably never been shot at before.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The-Ism

Also note no-one shouting "YEEHAW" or "YEA" whilst getting the rounds down. Just a rather sedate "he he, bye bye Taliban" from the engineer who blows up the enemy posion with 8 bar mines at the end.

I've been down range with a lot of Brits and a few Irish, Italians, Indians and some from a few other countries..
They scream and yell with the rest of us. Just about everyone does in a war.
Its not an American thing.

I never mentioned America, I must have struck a nerve

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
touche

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
HAHAHA!

That explosion was "mega". Classic. Gotta love the humor of our brothers from across the pond. Hats off to you fellas, and all you're doing.

-Droops

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKUNK2

It doesn't matter because the object in such a situation is to achieve fire superiority which is basically just firing off more bullets than the other guy. No aiming required, you just want to keep the enemy down.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Some of those quotes at the end had me chuckling!

"What the F was that?"

"An A-10 dropping a 500lb bomb"

"that was F-ing loud"

"Yeah, I think they were trying to hit us"

or

"Watch where you f-ing shooting"

"That wasn't me, that was incoming"

"Aw "poo"- got a grenade?"

Typical British squaddie humour if ever I heard it!

[edit on 6/5/07 by stumason]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Great post Paddy! I guess UTube has the rights for all Brit phone camera vids as they seem to be well 'in' with the boys.

Just came across the action with 3 Para Forward Air Control Party in Sangrin. Pity you can't see all the faces 'cause if you could, you'd see a chap with an RAF DZ Flash on his cammies. He's Si, ex II Sqn, RAF Regiment.

He's the guy bringing down A10 and F-18 airstrikes in support of the Paras.
Si said that sometimes, the F-18 bombs were dropped danger close and when he said danger close, he meant it. On one occasion, it was 75 metres.

You all must have seen the clip on YouTube or the news. It was the one of the Paras sheltering behind the wall. What you don't know, is that just the other side along the edge of the wall, is a Taleban minefield.

The Taleban were crawlling along the base of the wall, lobbing grenades over. Our guys don't even have shell scrapes or foxholes to shelter in.

Paddy's clip illustrates what our guys are going through on a daily basis. If you have not seen them, watch the clips. The intense fighting is shown in all it's graphic detail on YouTube.

Luckily, Si's back in the UK now and hopefully, he will settle down to the rather dull and mundane life of the training wing. But he still grins when he recalls bringing in an A-10 down on a Taleban mortar.

'A 30 mil DU shell every 6 inches!
awesome!'

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Typical thinly veiled poke at the American forces.

You'd think the British Armed Forces would be a little more circumspect with their insults after the recent shameful display wih the Iranians.

More tea anyone?

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

You'd think the British Armed Forces would be a little more circumspect with their insults after the recent shameful display wih the Iranians.

More tea anyone?

I sincerely hope that post was not directed at me Retseh because in the post above yours, not once did I mention the US forces.

If you refer to the post by Skunk2 well, in all honesty, that's what you guys do! I have seen it with my own eyes.

I guess you'd call it suppression of the enemy, but firing on full auto just converts live rounds to empty cases.

I'm sure you're aware Retseh, that after the first 2 or 3 rounds, your weapon is wildly inaccurate and is jumping all over the place. Hardly a case of putting rounds down on target. Hey, I've done it myself mate! Don't take umbrage, but in this day and age, it is pretty dumb practice.

Consider that empty mag you're carrying around with you. When it was full, you had 30 rounds. Now it's empty, and you're running low on ammo, it could have come in handy.

Just a serious thought on a cold, windy, rainy Brit Sunday morning.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

More tea anyone?
So keyboard commando!!! You actually think the US wouldn't have done what the UK did in this situation

Actually a lot of Americans think they would have attacked Iran, but they don't have a clue, because neither the US and the UK together could succesfully attack Iran together because it would destabilize the middle east.
On another note what about the 5 US marines that have been "shame fully" been captured with out even getting any help from their fellow colleagues

[edit on 13-5-2007 by SKUNK2]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
My amazement about what the brave men and women of Britain's armed forces go through and still keep their sense of humour knows no bounds. It's hard to put into words how much I appreciate everything they do - putting their lives on the line every day for their country. You are the epitome of what it means to be British, and you are all true heroes. I for one am eternally grateful for what each and every one of you does.

Good luck to all who have served/are serving/will be serving out in Afghanistan, Iraq and the other places around the world where British forces are deployed - and keep laughing

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Er, Retseh, which post were you actually referring to? I hope it wasn't at the main topic. This thread was posted to give a demonstration of how we can use close supporting fire from machine guns and light mortars in a controlled manner to suppress the enemy from a defensive position that is being attacked on 3 sides. It was not a dig at any one.

You have a very professional army with lots of assets and have caused a lot of damage to a determined enemy. Well done and I'm glad you're on our side. You have your way of doing things, we have ours. I personally couldn't give a fiddlers f&%$ how many rounds you put down, just so long as they're your rounds and you aren't firing them at me.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
That's a fair response Paddy, I retract my earlier statement.

(Please note that this second paragraph has been added as a cut and paste to avoid the obligatory one line warning.)

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
i liked the

Under fire

ssgt "jase" wheeler 9 sqn
"Tickner - Are you alright?"

LCpl "yeah this is f***ing mega"

more great work from the men and women serving in iraq and afganistan.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I know it's pretty uncool to bump your own thread, but I thought this wee vid might interest a few of you. Check out possibly the coolest man in NATO (Dan) eating an apple in the middle of a firefight at about 1min 13 secs. This is how the pros do it boys and girls.

E Coy Musa Qal'eh

BTW, if anyone wants to see get a look at PaddyInf in all his glory, I'm in the first pic. I'm the guy in yellow

top topics

join