It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists are convinced that man can see the future

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I have had clairvoyant visions as well as dreams. Lots came true. Most are important events deaths of family members etc. Which I have had 3. 2 uncles and my grandmother. I recently had a dream of a place I used to work for, a company called Gheen Irrigation. I worked for them approx 10 years ago. I did the galvanizing and dipped the parts into molten hot zink and I always was burned on a regular basis even though we wore protective clothing. From out of the blue I had this vivid dream and in the dream I remember being burned all the time. 2 Days later Gheen Irrigation burns down to the ground. o-O Here is the news and pictures...

www.kval.com...

By the way I do live in eugene, oregon. Now some questions pop in my mind about this. #1 Why me after 10 years am I having dreams of this place 2 days prior to it burning down? #2 Am I manifesting these? It's scares me. I worked there with a friend I known since highschool. The odd thing about it is we both have had a NDE. His can be verified by the hospital, he died for a few minutes after a car crash. We both have a telepathic connection to each other. I'm thinking that after these NDE's we brought something back. I don't do this and excercise this, or do meditation on a regular basis. When a important event that involves me or friends or relatives it happens wihtout my concent. The visions and dreams just come. From where or how I don't know and I cannot explain it.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Thats actually amazing...

Well...I've had interesting things...like I would think about a particular episode of a TV show, and later that day that exact episode would come on. I can count atleast 3 or 4 times this has happened...

Partially, this doesn't surprise me, but I still wonder HOW its possible...

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I'd say the most logical explanation can be found using human evolution. As someone mentioned earlier, our brains are like complex computers that calculate the probability that a given situation will provide a certain result. It can then make the best choice given the odds. By doing this you gain knowledge and intuition that help you avoid certain situations.

Most people know what poision ivy looks like and if they saw it in a forest they would avoid it. This learning and adapting is what allows you to survive.

Now, the percent of population that can see the future is very small. But whose to say that in 100-500 years from now, seeing the future won't be common among us and used on a daily basis (as is the case with memory). Through this evolution the action could eventually become as easy to do as recalling the past.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by Ruiner]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ruiner
I'd say the most logical explanation can be found using human evolution. As someone mentioned earlier, our brains are like complex computers that calculate the probability that a given situation will provide a certain result. It can then make the best choice given the odds. By doing this you gain knowledge and intuition that help you avoid certain situations.

Intuition, gut feelings, deja-vu ect are totally different from being able to see the future. This skill or gift goes beyond the abilities of the brain, and we know for a fact that in ancient cultures they also had people who could see the future and dedicated their lives to experience, and learn from the spiritual realm.

In every ancient culture you find shamans, or some spiritual leader who dealt with such skills so this has nothing to do with evolution.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
In every ancient culture you find shamans, or some spiritual leader who dealt with such skills so this has nothing to do with evolution.

Mauddib,

While I do agree with you on this point here, I have to admit that I think that it's possible that at least some of the "prophecies" or "premonitions" that people experience are actually nothing more than really superior deductive reasoning. Let's use a chess computer for example, as it's one of the most advanced computers made.

These computers can think so far ahead in moves, that it makes beating them on the maximum difficulty practically impossible, unless you employ some sort of distinctly "human" maneuver. You have to outsmart it by doing something that it doesn't expect. To do this, you have to know what it will do next. How do you do that? You play it so often that you learn how it plays, and then you adjust your playing style to take advantage of the computer's weakness(es).

While this isn't a foolproof analogy, I think it suffices to explain my views in general terms. We humans are just like chess computers, in that we are constantly analyzing everything we see and experience, with the sole purpose of learning. What good is learning if we can't remember what we see? Having the ability to remember allows our minds to gauge just how probable something is to either happen or not happen. To me anyway, that's what it means to "think". True, it's a very crude definition for the term, but it does suit it quite well.

As always, let me know what you think.

TheBorg

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

Mauddib,

While I do agree with you on this point here, I have to admit that I think that it's possible that at least some of the "prophecies" or "premonitions" that people experience are actually nothing more than really superior deductive reasoning. Let's use a chess computer for example, as it's one of the most advanced computers made.

These computers can think so far ahead in moves, that it makes beating them on the maximum difficulty practically impossible, unless you employ some sort of distinctly "human" maneuver. You have to outsmart it by doing something that it doesn't expect. To do this, you have to know what it will do next. How do you do that? You play it so often that you learn how it plays, and then you adjust your playing style to take advantage of the computer's weakness(es).

While this isn't a foolproof analogy, I think it suffices to explain my views in general terms. We humans are just like chess computers, in that we are constantly analyzing everything we see and experience, with the sole purpose of learning. What good is learning if we can't remember what we see? Having the ability to remember allows our minds to gauge just how probable something is to either happen or not happen. To me anyway, that's what it means to "think". True, it's a very crude definition for the term, but it does suit it quite well.

As always, let me know what you think.

TheBorg

Exactly. By recalling our memories we can deduce the correct way to approach a certain situation in order to achieve the best outcome. Without this ability the odds of surviving would be substantially less. Being able to look into the future and see memories that have yet to occur would simply increase your odds of survival.

I'm curious just how good our memories were thousands of years ago. Is there any evidence looking back at ancient civilizations that would lead us to believe that our ability to draw information from the past is greater now than it was back then?

So is it fair to assume that looking into the future is like a sixth sense. A trait among few that will eventually adapt itself into the majority over the course of time.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobusuke Tagomi
I didn't suggest the Daily Mail was a "more reputable source," I suggested some may consider it a better source for that article, considering they wrote the original, and some of the Scientist's results were released exclusively to them. I had also never heard of the source the author of this thread used, so I just thought people may like to have the article as it was originally released.

Ah, sorry about that. The comment about The Daily Mail still stands, it's a tabloid rag, but I do apologize for misquoting you on that. I misunderstood what you meant by "a better source", since "better" usually means "more credible" on here. Sorry for the misunderstanding, Nobusuke-san.

Originally posted by Implosion
Here is some information on the Daily Mail from an old post of mine. It certainly isn't a good source, that's for sure, but to compare it as being something like "the National Enquirer or the Weekly World News" is a gross act of misrepresentation. We should wish it were so lighthearted.

So it's more like WorldNetDaily (WND) than the Enquirer. Interesting, I'd never made the connection before, but it seems pretty accurate, especially considering how often our own right-wing wackos like Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity quote The Daily Mail as their news source.

Thanks for the heads up. Nice to know that The Daily Mail is not only a worthless rag, but one with an actual agenda aimed towards keeping The Right misinformed.

I am listening to that audio file, thanks for the link. It is an excellent interview and discussion.

If you get the chance, you should check out more Radio Lab episodes. It's by far my favorite radio program. Out-there science mixed with incredible music and sound editing, and a nicely balanced banter between two opposing religious views on the subject. It's a feast for the mind and ears.

I could be wrong, but as i have stated in the other post, according to my own experiences it is number two: " Mankind has free will, but not in the conscious mind."

Our true self decides what we are going to do, and pretty much everything is predetermined since before we are born.

I personally feel #2, is accurate as well, but disagree with "predetermination". Rather, I feel the subconscious sits in the background, calling the shots, and the conscious mind gets the echo of the subconscious thought. Thus when I stare at my finger, and I am told to decide to wiggle my finger and wiggle it, my conscious brain is aware of these stipulations.

The subconscious, able to receive and process far more information than the conscious mind, far faster, then decides to participate in the experiment, and decides to move the finger and starts the nerve triggering mechanisms for which to make the finger wiggle. The conscious mind picks up the echo of the subconscious decision to wiggle the finger, interprets it as its own free will, and the finger moves. In other words, the conscious mind acts more like a co-processor, rather than the CPU.

The ability of the subconscious mind to receive such a far wider variety of input than the more filtered, conscious mind, appears capable of then routing it through the prefrontal cortex (which is the part of our brain that can predict outcomes based upon available data), calculates out the most likely probabilities based off of all obscure data combined, then the echoes of the conclusions reach the conscious mind as a "prediction of the future".

Example: Your subconscious mind picks up on various news tidbits over the course of the last week, combined with memories of history lessons, weather patterns, recognition of shifting market forces, etc, and after running all this data through the PFC as simulations, arrives at the conclusion that "something terrible, probably oil related, is about to happen in Nigeria", "Debbie is going to cheat on Dave", and "my sister is going to get in an accident." The conscious mind, usually filtered in favor of that which is most important to survival or the task at hand, will more often than not ignore all of these. One whom is attuned to the broader scale might probably only hear one, maybe two of these echoed conclusions at most before they either happen or the original data changes due to circumstances.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Just bogus. If their claims are good, why won't they release it to a peer-reviewed publication?

I hope the future can't be seen. If it can, it means free will is nonexistent.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Not true uberarcanist. I think that if the future could be seen, then it could be changed for the better. What else would be the point in seeing it, if not to change it? Just because we might be able to see the future doesn't mean that we can't do anything about it, nor does it mean that our free will has been forfeited. It just means that we are getting a glimpse of something that could happen to us in the near future.

These are just the opinions of one man. Who knows, I may be from the future. Or, I could just be echoing the thoughts of history over again. "Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it", as they say.

TheBorg

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Just bogus. If their claims are good, why won't they release it to a peer-reviewed publication?

I hope the future can't be seen. If it can, it means free will is nonexistent.

Not ture. We can look into the past, but that doesn't mean we can change what's happened in the past. Why would it be any different when looking into the future?

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I can think of 4 times in the near past where I wake up only to have my cell phone go off within a minute or so. They've been important calls, and I never hear my phone ringing while I'm asleep. I've noticed that when I'm getting a text message or phone call on my cell while it is near electronis, that you can hear something funky going on with the electronics. Maybe I'm just picking up on that, Idunno.

Interesting time to be alive

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this relates to precognition, but since I can remember, and a bunch of people I've spoken to about this have experienced it too, I have been able to pick out people who are watching me in a crowded room. I would just find myself turning full circle, for no concious reason and look straight into the eyes of someone who had been staring at me.

Anyone else experience this? It's as though you can really feel the eyes glaring at you and somehow intuitively know where they are coming from.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
"The eyes are the windows to the soul."

Perhaps these words have some bearing on the phenomena that you explained above. I'm thinking that people can inherently feel someone else's presence when they're looking at them, or just being around them for example. I've been able to tell if someone's in the same room with me, even when I'm not looking. They call it "just a feeling", when I'm positive that it's something more.

TheBorg

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Not true uberarcanist. I think that if the future could be seen, then it could be changed for the better.
TheBorg

I don't know about anyone else, but to me this introduces a sort of paradox, which is if too many people could see the future, and try to alter it, then the future would be in a continuous state of flux, and hence their precognitions would change, and then their efforts to further modify it would just lead to a sort of greater chaos in their predictions, ultimately leading to an inability to do anything to change the future.

Originally posted by mooonhoxe
I can think of 4 times in the near past where I wake up only to have my cell phone go off within a minute or so. They've been important calls, and I never hear my phone ringing while I'm asleep. I've noticed that when I'm getting a text message or phone call on my cell while it is near electronis, that you can hear something funky going on with the electronics. Maybe I'm just picking up on that, Idunno.

Interesting time to be alive

I know precisely what you mean, I've tested it myself, and no matter how early I set my phone alarm, I'm always awake a minute beforehand. I also sometimes think to myself "Hmm...odd I've not had a text/phone call by now" and sure enough, within a few seconds. And as for the electronics, I've noticed a sort of strange feedback I get on my Mp3 player just before texts are sent or received, but I'm inclined to think thats the radiowaves interfering with the HardDrive during transmission.

Still, myself and a friend have discussed the phone thing, and as phones take a few seconds to "make the connection" before they actively start ringing, we were wondering if perhaps the human mind, if suitably relaxed and attuned, can detect the radiowaves as the phone makes the connection. And as you've all previously stated, the human mind calculates probablities, so it stands to reason it would calculuate an increase in radiowaves as being your phone about to go off. Strangely enough, this phenomena only happens to me when I've got my phone near to me, which to me strengthens this hypothesis.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if this were true, but as of right now, I wouldn't say that it is true. Who knows though, I may soon have an experience of my own

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well somebody may have this feeling well you know I wanna date this girl but something tells me that she does not like me. Should I go ahead? Well of course for someone dont do it for someone else.
Now lets get a little serious.

Changing the future: How challenging and how dangerous. Changing the future is not the best thing that can happen if someone considers the butterfly effect (Well yes there is a movie about it also). One tiny flicker and there you have a chaotic incident. Not to say that nature has a way of panishing those that do.

Maybe it is sth more than nature, supernatural but trust me I do not think you would want to be in this position especially if the CIA confirms that you can. LOL. Then you are in lot of trouble. :-) They are very serious with this kind of things believe me. They TRACE these people like the sentinels in Matrix. This may sounds far fetched but when it happens then there is a big party going on and you have to convince them that it was naivity and trying sth different to let you go but never do it again.

If you prove that you can actually read minds in thousand of miles distance then you are also in trouble. Most of all from the Church. Immediately they label you as demon and you have to appear with a big cross to convince some stupid people that you are not. LOL.

Also most of the times the info that you get is GARBAGE. Some times though the feeling is so great that it is simply a reality...
So my opinion is that there is a certain kind of stimulus that seperates reality from imagination.

BUT HOW CAN SOMEONE WITH THIS TECHNOLOGY KNOW WHEN SOMEONE RECEIVES A SIGNAL FROM OUTSIDE AND NOT FROM THE INSIDE!!!

So Scientists face the problem of Garbage. This is why some of the top secret experiments have failed. GARBAGE collection inefficiency!!!

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
if you want to see into the future read the Holy Bible, what you hear/read about is satan and his lies...

Everything he will promise will be the untruth... if you'd like to know what is going on today and in the future - read the holy bible, as it will tell you of this and future days and is to come...

Yes freedom has gone, slaves only exist....dogs rule the world now ur children are in danger, and so are you....

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
We are doing this every day within our little circle of interests.

MIB

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Memory I don't think has anything to do with clairvoyant abilities and seeing into the future. How does memory of the past have anything to do with future event's that haven't taken place yet?

I have always wondered how it's possible for me to see event's in future if those events haven't taken place yet. It's seems our time line is set in stone already and we are acting out the play. Now that opens up a whole slew of other questions. It appears that some unseen force is at work and I believe there is.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaOfTheOmega

I don't know about anyone else, but to me this introduces a sort of paradox, which is if too many people could see the future, and try to alter it, then the future would be in a continuous state of flux, and hence their precognitions would change, and then their efforts to further modify it would just lead to a sort of greater chaos in their predictions, ultimately leading to an inability to do anything to change the future.

Which kind of explains what's happening right now, doesn't it? Wouldn't it be interesting if we all were inadvertently affecting the lives of each other by trying to change our own futures for the better? Interesting concept, nonetheless.

TheBorg

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join