It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - the new way to sleep?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Scientists in the US have used (TMS) to induce deep sleep in volunteers and now say that this new finding could let people get a full nights rest in a few hours.

Using this device attached to your head, magnetic impulses are sent into the brain to create slow waves, the main characteristic of deep sleep.

The scientists say the device is harmless and could lead to relief for long time sufferers of insomnia.

Power naps 'by flick of a switch'

The researchers found that positioning the TMS machine the right way triggered slow waves that travelled throughout the brain. With each magnetic pulse, the volunteers' brains immediately generated slow waves typical of deep sleep.

"Creating slow waves on demand could some day lead to treatments for insomnia, where slow waves may be reduced," said study leader Professor Giulio Tononi, from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. "Theoretically, it could also lead to a magnetically stimulated 'power nap' which might confer the benefit of eight hours sleep in just a few hours."

While it would be nice tor those who cannot get the rest they deserve, I have to wonder how safe this actually is, and if this technology could be used for purposes other than what is stated. Who's to say, someone just might not flip the switch off leaving you to remain sleeping.

Reminds me of that fable of the dude who slept for a hundred years, can't quite remember his name but I am sure someone here can enlighten me.

What do you think of this new technology?
or

join