It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question;

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
If god said to "keep the sabbath day holy" ect.

It dosnt really make sense,
the calander wasnt made until WELL after the universe was created.

So really,
does this make any sense?

I suppose it existed when the bible was written, convienantly.

Really if we didnt have a calander system what would we
use as a sabbath day? If all this is really true ancient word from god then
shouldent it apply to all times?

Sorry if this post is incohearant (sp) in any way its 5am here. xD
But im off to bed, ill check this thread tommorow

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
read all of the first part of genesis it calls the first day day one the second day two all the way up to the seventh day which he calls the sabbath it was night then day that marked one dayso if we used our calendar it would be friday night saturday morning that would be the sabbath but that was the fisrt calendar it was recorded on stones or scrolls i believe the isrealites had one of the first recorded calendars (now i could be wrong so dont quote me on this) i hope that answered your question

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I recall that there were eight days prior to the norm of 7. I also recall that a day used to last 6hrs when the Earth was 1st created. Does this have any relevance to anything...I do not know!

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
thats interesting where is this information found if you dont mind me asking i have never heard of 8 days i do know however that eight symbolizes perfection, 7 symbolizes completion i dont believe i have heard of a day lasting only six hours

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
maybe its misinterpreted.

I read the quote as saying keep that specific day holy. In other words, dont make it a corporate holiday, keep its holy nature. I dont read it as saying keep that actual day. Idno though.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
well thats true you are to do no physical labor on that day that does not pertain to God because there have been a couple times the pharisees and sadusees tried to trap Jesus when Jesus did something on the sabbath

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
it's obvious that these are the writings of PEOPLE instead of the writings of a deity. no omniscient deity would make such a mistake.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
actually it was the writing of God through man. man was the vessel. But Jesus was God in the flesh and if you read on in Luke 14:1-6; or luke 13:10-17 both are instances where he healed on the sabbath the fist passage i put up there he answered with this if your son or ox fell into a well would you not get him immediatly if it was the sabbath? the second one he answered with this hypocrites doesnt each one of you untie his ox or donkey from the feeding trough on the sabbath and lead it to the water? satan has bound this woman a daughter of abraham for 18 years shouldnt she be untied from this bondage on the sabbath day both meaning if the work you are doing is for God than its ok

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The sabbath.

to the jewish faith-begins at sundown on friday night. (saturday)

to christianity- begins at midnight saturday/sunday. (sunday)

Maybe when christianity and paganism met head on is when this was lost in translation. The conincidence of SUNday is hard to overlook. But considering christian roots grow from the traditions of judiasim, it seems strange that this discrepancy was just overlooked. A fantastic schism.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by followerofchrist
actually it was the writing of God through man. man was the vessel.

that's a fine hypothesis, care to support it with anything besides the circular logic of the bible saying it is so?

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renshin

It dosnt really make sense,

So really,

The laws concerning the sabbath werent given until Mount sinai. It is tradition that information given to Moses at that time helped the Israelites develop their lunar calendar. Up until the birth of the nation of Israel at Mount Sinai there was not a law about keeping the Sabbath because 1. the Torah containing the law had not been given, and 2. until then there was no nation to keep the law. I hope this helps!

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   

actually it was the writing of God through man. man was the vessel. But Jesus was God in the flesh and if you read on in Luke 14:1-6; or luke 13:10-17 both are instances where he healed on the sabbath the fist passage i put up there he answered with this if your son or ox fell into a well would you not get him immediatly if it was the sabbath? the second one he answered with this hypocrites doesnt each one of you untie his ox or donkey from the feeding trough on the sabbath and lead it to the water? satan has bound this woman a daughter of abraham for 18 years shouldnt she be untied from this bondage on the sabbath day both meaning if the work you are doing is for God than its ok

Actually it has never been against the Torah to heal on the Sabbath. The laws of The Sabbath are suspended in order to save a life so he never would have been chastised for healing on the Sabbath.

Pikuach nefesh (obligation to save a life)

There are many misunderstandings today about what is considered "work" by the Torah. Most things classified as work had to do with agriculture of course since it was an agricultural society at the time.

[edit on 6-5-2007 by kokoro]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
John 1:1
the bible is the word of God he is the author everyword is God-breathed which means it was God working through them (men)

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renshin

It doesn't really make sense,

So really,

the calender you speak of i assume is the days of the week
they were created in the beginning as the bible explains
on the 7th day God rested

now we fast forward to Christ time, one would have to understand the Jewish calender but the sabbath has always been on sundown Fri night to sun down sat night--their 7th day

Jesus did say keep holy the sabbath day, but there is debate among
Christians as to weather Christ freed us from having to keep the sabbath
i can not say with certainty, but it has always bugged me
i confess

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i believe we are to keep in our own way the sabbath day holy because if Jesus came to fullfill the law not break it then we are to still keep that day holy being that it is one of the comandments

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

John 1:1
the bible is the word of God he is the author everyword is God-breathed which means it was God working through them (men)

circular argument. the bible is right because god wrote the bible and god says that the bible is right so it must be true.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   

thats interesting where is this information found if you dont mind me asking i have never heard of 8 days i do know however that eight symbolizes perfection, 7 symbolizes completion i dont believe i have heard of a day lasting only six hours

Do a search on google. Because of the moon actually...we have slowed down to 24 hours...and we're still slowing down. The moons pull on the ocean creates lag...after billions of years...all that lag actually slowed down the revolution of the Earth a great bit.

Also, there were 8 days in the calendar. Can't remember who started the 8 day thing...but if yo search it, you'll find it. Try wikipedia &, or google.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Yes but, there is one thing I disagree with, if we are going on the Shabbat or Sabbath then we would probably be better to look at a Hebrew calendar not a Hermetic calendar. Right?

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Ok Madness talk to me about the Big Bang or any other theories about how this universe started with out using science. Do you see the point?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Ok Madness talk to me about the Big Bang or any other theories about how this universe started with out using science. Do you see the point?

no, you're comparing apples to lava lamps. science is a process. the bible is a book. in science you take outside evidence to prove a theory. with the bible you say that it's self-evidently 100% true.

i can prove the big-bang without using the big-bang theory. i can observe the expansion of the universe. is that considered science?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join