It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Methane Engine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Interesting video, at first i didnt think much of it, but it goes on to say...

NASA contractors Alliant Techsystems and XCOR Aerospace are developing a rocket engine powered by liquid methane. Earlier this year the companies conducted a series of successful test firings of their 7,500 pound-thrust LOX/methane engine.Such technology could one day allow for the exploration of deep space, as methane can be found or made on many worlds throughout our solar system.

Maybe it is a viable way of deep space travel?

VIDEO.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I was intersted in the geometric shape the flame takes
repetitive patterns throughout the flame...cool
but I wonder why?

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Cool idea, but keep in mind that a rocket engine has to react fuel with an oxidizer. In this case, the oxidizer is liquid oxygen, and without it the rocket won't burn. Thus, the rocket will have to carry around all the oxygen it will need and with no real hope of replenishing it. The real kicker is that the oxygen ends up being about 2/3 of the total mass of the propellants, so not THAT much mass is saved by having the fuel be replenishable. It's definitely a nice idea, though. Maybe it will help in the exploration of Titan.

As for the geometric shapes, they're shock diamonds. Lots of other rocket engines show them too. Next time you see a Space Shuttle launch, look at the near-invisible plumes coming from the shuttle itself.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
thanks thats cool
Now don't you think its interesting the geometric forms nature must take.
I find sacred geometry fasinating.
That to me looks like sacred geometry in action.

top topics

join