It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the atheist brain more evolved?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Like I said in my post atheists are open minded, only extreme atheists or theoretical atheists "ridicule" the belief in gods. Atheists just don't see the point to believing in gods because it makes no difference to their life. It's like believing in UFO's, the fact that you believe in them is irrelevant, evidence that they exist is relevant. The motto of this website is "Deny Ignorance", this would also be the main goal of an atheist.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
how about it has nothing to do with evolution, nothing to do with Reality and everything in the whole world to do with social conditioning and our internal reactions to it?

if there is a God it doesn't look anything like the Christian one.

and even if there isn't we still have a lot to learn about reality and why it's here.

we just don't f-ing know yet.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
What if a woman told you that the island she lived on was created by a being and that he created it all in 6 days and now he is building an even better island now and all she has to do is obey his laws and she can get into the new island otherwise she is doomed. She then tells you his son died and then came back to life and then floated off on a cloud to be with his father and that they can see her at all times and that she is living for the day when she can join them.

I would say that you need to broaden your horizons when it comes to quantifying God. I certainly wouldn't use the "christian god" as a foundation for discovering him/her/it. I certainly don't believe that the earth was formed in 6 days not do I believe that Jesus was God's son any more than you or I, but I do believe in a Creator.

I am also aware that I, at this point, may not even be able to fathom what 'God' is.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Is the atheist brain more evolved than those who aren't atheist? Yes. It's true. It's *#%@ true. My personal calculations have led to the inescapable conclusion that atheists are at least 32.5% more powerful and the atheist brain is at least 10% larger than those who believe in some kind of god/gods. Now to make sure that my facts were correct I asked a friend of mine. Todd says that I am correct in my findings so it's now confirmed as irrefutable. Accept Todd's and my findings and you will be all the better for it in your journey through life. Good luck and godspeed.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by carnival_of_souls2047
Is the atheist brain more evolved than those who aren't atheist? Yes. It's true. It's *#%@ true. My personal calculations have led to the inescapable conclusion that atheists are at least 32.5% more powerful and the atheist brain is at least 10% larger than those who believe in some kind of god/gods. Now to make sure that my facts were correct I asked a friend of mine. Todd says that I am correct in my findings so it's now confirmed as irrefutable. Accept Todd's and my findings and you will be all the better for it in your journey through life. Good luck and godspeed.

Thank GOD for your scientific findings carnival. I believe that we can now all agree that Atheist's are indeed the new evolution of man.
Next up: how to prove science isnt real using the empirical method.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by followerofchrist
if the truth was in front of them (atheists) would they turn there beliefs?

what truth? ohhh, you're assuming to have the absolute truth. i'm sorry, that's something atheists don't claim to have. if you're right and it's provable, i'd believe it as i believe any scientific theory with enough weight behind it.

how about this: if i gave you all the facts needed to show that the universe operates independent of any deity, would you continue your faith?

I pray that everyone recieves healing from this thread and i also pray that at least one atheist turns from the sin they are commiting in front of God.

so logic and reason have now become sins?

I want all atheists to know God loves YOU but not the sin you so commit

what sin?

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

if the truth was in front of them (atheists) would they turn there beliefs? I pray that everyone recieves healing from this thread and i also pray that at least one atheist turns from the sin they are commiting in front of God. I want all atheists to know God loves YOU but not the sin you so commit

And I just want you to know that it is that type of mentality that makes most of society think of Christians as extremley judgemental and hypocritical. So I am assuming you are without sin, so please cast on.

Warning: watch for falling rocks!!!

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
we all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God.
no im not a spotless sheep im not sinnless neither are you but with the Mercy of God we can repent of our sins now granted a lot of christians are hypocritical and do things they shouldnt do. thats where instead of badgering them or downgrading them you should show kindness and pray for them

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

no im not a spotless sheep im not sinnless neither are you but with the Mercy of God we can repent of our sins now granted a lot of christians are hypocritical and do things they shouldnt do. thats where instead of badgering them or downgrading them you should show kindness and pray for them

I think you should should worry about perfecting yourself before you go wasting in of that energy on someone else.
Who is worse the sinner who sins unknowingly or willfully?

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
What is evolved in this case?
To make better decisions, think more rational, anything like that?
Then i'd agree.

However, risks come with this.

Whilst one whom believes in God testing him when his family is murdered, and praying to god.

The other might become furious, and go on a counter-killing spree to get revenge.

One might pray when a gigantic tsunami is going to be his death and all seems hopeless.

The other might look for a solution.

Depends on how religious or 'how' atheïst you are.

That said, I believe in the technical possibility of everything, and I have come to that believe with a VERY simple and logical and acceptible explanation.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone

Originally posted by goose
What if a woman told you that the island she lived on was created by a being and that he created it all in 6 days and now he is building an even better island now and all she has to do is obey his laws and she can get into the new island otherwise she is doomed. She then tells you his son died and then came back to life and then floated off on a cloud to be with his father and that they can see her at all times and that she is living for the day when she can join them.

I would say that you need to broaden your horizons when it comes to quantifying God. I certainly wouldn't use the "christian god" as a foundation for discovering him/her/it. I certainly don't believe that the earth was formed in 6 days not do I believe that Jesus was God's son any more than you or I, but I do believe in a Creator.

I am also aware that I, at this point, may not even be able to fathom what 'God' is.

I used two examples from two different cultures to show how silly people can be over religion. How many times have you watched the news and heard journalists laugh or smirk over this idea of the 72 virgins, but yet refuse to compare the same idiotic ideas fof the accepted religion by most in America?

And whether you realize it or not, many religions take the examples given in the bible of the creation as the real gospel, they take every word literally. So you don't believe in the six day creation story, many do, whether you believe in the God in the heavens with the watchful eye on you, many do. He is looking down on all of us right now according to some, making a list of our sins and deciding whether we get into heaven based on whether we are naughty or nice, just like Santa Claus at Christmas.

Who do you think they are worshipping when they give their money to the church? Their making a sacrifice of their work, just like the guys who used to kill the animals they tended as a sacrifice. Religion is the greatest con of all.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
what if i told you believing God only REQUIRED you to love God?
Matthew 22:36-38; Mark 12:28-30 both describe the Greatest Commandment to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and strength its that simple all the rest of it will come from respect and obedience like that of a father and a son we all have flaws but it is said in 2nd corinthians chapter 12:10 i will delight in my weaknesses, in insults, in hardships,in persecutions, in difficulties. For when i am weak then i am strong and in verse nine paul writes: but he said to me " My grace is sufficieant for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christs power may rest on me

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
No, what happens is this: when you are young you feel bold, confident and strong - you revel in ‘bucking’ the norm and announcing ‘shocking’ revelations such as: “I am an atheist” – and you state them with conviction.

Then the inevitable happens and dear loved ones die or worse are killed in violence or tragic accidents, and then you start to look for reasons to explain these tragedies – eventually you come to the conclusion that so much pain must be caused for a reason, and you become aware of the insignificance of your physical being. And then you know,

It’s a trial, a data gathering exercise.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
well when you first become born-again you feel invulnerable. society says we dont want to be uncomfortable... we dont want to talk to anybody... the quickest way to somewhere may be a straight line but if there is talking involved we will get there much later.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

how about i just live a good life and hold myself accountable only to those i have wronged, myself, and any justice system that can prosecute me for my misdeeds?

being an atheist isn't about being guilt-free, it's actually a lot harder to get rid of guilt when you don't think an all-powerful sky fairy is going to wipe your "soul" clean of "sin"

to quote penn jillette:

Believing there's no god means I can't really be forgiven except by kindness and faulty memories. That's good... I have to try to treat people right the first time around.

edit to add

Originally posted by akabigfoot
No, what happens is this: when you are young you feel bold, confident and strong - you revel in ‘bucking’ the norm and announcing ‘shocking’ revelations such as: “I am an atheist” – and you state them with conviction.

really? i stated them with shock and horror because, in the culture i've been raised in, being an atheist is essentially the same thing as being an amoral criminal

Then the inevitable happens and dear loved ones die or worse are killed in violence or tragic accidents, and then you start to look for reasons to explain these tragedies – eventually you come to the conclusion that so much pain must be caused for a reason, and you become aware of the insignificance of your physical being. And then you know,

that sounds like someone turning to opium after tragedy to me, not a data gathering experience.

i realize the insignificance of my physical being. that is why i'm an atheist.

[edit on 5/6/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It takes faith along with belief in yourself to overcome the first hurdle.

If it weren't for something greater than our understanding, the cells of our body wouldn't function at all.

-Shadow

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
i like that a lot

It takes faith along with belief in yourself to overcome the first hurdle.

If it weren't for something greater than our understanding, the cells of our body wouldn't function at all.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by akabigfoot

I am not young at all, sadly no one has even pretended to tell me they don't believe me when I tell them I am over 50 years old and I denounced God after turning 50, as a young person I fully believed in God enough to walk several miles to church, so your theory of why people denounce God does not wash.

Most people who know me never realize unless they choose to discuss religion with me that I do not believe in God. Usually I do not tell them my views on God since I believe those that believe usually need to believe otherwise they would have recognized the truth long ago. So no, I am not into making shocking revelations to anyone to impress them.

I do agree that usually after losing someone close many will join the church, that's because they are comforted by the certainty of the believers who come up to them and swear they know the loved one is with God and that the person will see their loved one in heaven someday. They yearn for the comfort of that lie so they join the church trying to believe.

Like I said many who believe choose to believe and choose not to see the truth about what a lie the whole God thing is.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
may i ask what happened in your life that you turn away from God as much as you do? im just wondering

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The most recent evolution in the homo sapiens species is the development of the neocortex-the very front of the brain with which we make judgements, educated guesses, and essentially compute the probability of various futures. If one removes it, we get a docile, obedient, though still intelligent person. This is called a frontal lobotomy. The atheist, if he comes to his decision through reason and computing the probability for the existence of a god or higher power is simply using this most recent addition to the human brain better than the religious person, or it is more fully developed. However, I submit that such an atheist doesn't possess all the facts. One cannot rule out a higher consciousness without understanding quantum physics and string theory. Such theory predicts that information is contained in the most minute of subatomic particles int he form of their spin, which is exchanged to other such particles all over the universe. In other words, the universe is a conscious "quantum computer" and we are just part of it. Now, is this god? Depends on your definition. Certainly this is not god in the christian sense, but it is god in the sense of a higher power or higher self. So, if the atheist is aware of this and still says that this universal consciousness cannot exist, then that atheist is not fully using his neocortex and would be considered less evolved(developed) neurologically.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join