It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Master and Commander Movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Great movie, the reality of the ship and the life on board was really vivid.

A little contrived in moviedom ways, but I enjoyed it for the ship and the sea.

There is some reality to the plot as well, there WAS an American built ship that was under a french flag and laid waste to heaps of other ships during the Napoleanic war. I remember that it was scuttled in a french port (or burned) rather than let it fall into British hands.

Probably based on the true life of Thomas Cochrane - most of these things are, he was an unbelievable person, and did things that you wouldn't believe.

I'm right ...
www.nmm.ac.uk...:singlecontent/contentTypeA/conWebDoc/contentId/11329/navId/00500400i007

Cochrane had one of the most extraordinary and controversial naval careers of the 19th century. He entered the Royal Navy as a midshipman in 1793 and was quickly promoted on merit to lieutenant two years later. However, it was during his early appointment as Master and Commander of the sloop Speedy that Cochrane came to fame, fortune and notoriety.

www.geo.ed.ac.uk...

www.napoleonguide.com...

This just goes to show that the reality is more amazing that the movie....

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
As I seem to have the best info on the net about him here is an article I proofed from the origianl Peruvian translated by a friend on his life.

xmb.stuffucanuse.com...

I might make some more about this remarkable person.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I saw it and I thought it could've been a lot shorter. It was way too long and that took away from the suspense of catching up with the mystery ship. Like that scene where they stopped of at the Galapagops Islands to see the fauna.

That was unnnecessary.

Subplot of the cowardly kid who jumped overboard.

Unnecessary.

Too many subplots took away from the main story.

I did like the part where they sailed around the tip of South America. That was cool.

All in all, I thought Pirates of the Carribean was a BETTER seafaring movie. Even tho it was a bit of fantasy, thedre were factual places and events.

For example, there WAS a smuggler's island called Tortuga in the Carribean. There was such a code called "Parley" amongst the pirates.Women were regarded as bad luck on a ship. And others. What was not factual was that pirates buried their treasure. But, for Captain Kidd, they were too busy spending their treasure on booze and whores to bother burying it.

(See, I'm reading the biography of the pirate, Captain Kidd, and it is awesome. Captain Kidd was the man---even tho he didn't deserve the nefarious reputation he had based upon lies.)

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
i like Master and commander. the combat secenes were awsome. that old timey ship to ship combat was brutal

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I'm gonna see it tonight its just been released here in Hong Kong.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
I saw it and I thought it could've been a lot shorter. It was way too long and that took away from the suspense of catching up with the mystery ship. Like that scene where they stopped of at the Galapagops Islands to see the fauna.

That was unnnecessary.

Subplot of the cowardly kid who jumped overboard.

Unnecessary.

Too many subplots took away from the main story.

I did like the part where they sailed around the tip of South America. That was cool.

All in all, I thought Pirates of the Carribean was a BETTER seafaring movie. Even tho it was a bit of fantasy, thedre were factual places and events.

For example, there WAS a smuggler's island called Tortuga in the Carribean. There was such a code called "Parley" amongst the pirates.Women were regarded as bad luck on a ship. And others. What was not factual was that pirates buried their treasure. But, for Captain Kidd, they were too busy spending their treasure on booze and whores to bother burying it.

(See, I'm reading the biography of the pirate, Captain Kidd, and it is awesome. Captain Kidd was the man---even tho he didn't deserve the nefarious reputation he had based upon lies.)

CF there was no cowardly kid that jumped overboard unless u mean the part where the mast fell down under pressure form wind and rain.
As for the Galapagops that was necessary it was to show the audience that be a sailor isnt all about life on a ship and that it has its rewards

new topics

top topics

join