It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

no more sheeple

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I dont know how many times Ive read it and its really starting to tick me off. A person has a certain way of thinking and all of the the sudden there called sheeple. Its happening more and more.

I had a friend who did the podcast thing when ATS first came out with it. He happened to disagree with a certain fella on a podcast about Lady liberty. All he said was somethimes things really are as they appear to be. Some times there is no hidden anything. This guy came back with a pod cast calling my friend sheeple. Even going as far as using the sound effects.

It was pure bull. Most of the people on here are far from being the average follow the leader type thats why there here. they are independent thinkers. to call them sheeple is the worst insult there can be on a site like ATS. You are here because you don't follow the crowd. They are here because they don't follow the crowd. So why on earth would you be so arrogant as to put them in that category. The word sheeple should be put on the blocked word list. It is the lowest form of insult in my opinion you could ever say to some one. So please i'm asking show a little more respect and open your own minds.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I tend to agree that the term "sheeple" has a derogatory connotation, and I've certainly used the term when the reference was warranted.

I don't think there are many ATS members that are willing to march lock step to the slaughter house.

The ATS boards attract a different kind of people, we tend to be a group of free thinkers that don't follow the crowd, and most of our members tend to buck the system in some way.

I've never used the word "sheeple" in reference to other ATS members, but I think the term is a valid one for the average citizen of Planet Earth.

Here at ATS, we tend to be a little different from the rest of the flock.

We tend to march to a different drummer.

I really don't think we should be calling each other names.

EDIT:I always edit

[edit on 5/5/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
*cries*... This story has really touched me. So sad... I can't believe it. Poor sheeples. I dont remember having ever called anyone a sheeple.

But you have to see the other side of the medal too.
If i want to hear about extreme right, or mainly "right" in-a-box opinions I can go to a bar with dellusioned elder and alcoholic people.
It's very annoying to listen to very similar, boring and incoherent stuff on ATS too.

The massive amount of people who will never distance themselves from almost always presenting a "right", conservative opinion. Without ever accepting criticism in a productive way.. and maybe evolve/change their opinions about certain things?

As long as everyone can express their feelings and thoughts without completely losing respect things should be OK.
After all this is more or less a mirror of society.
And therefore there are many "mainstream" majority opinions. So even if proportionally, there are probably more "minority" and critical people around here, than in society. It's still very difficult to cope with the number of people, who always say what the majority says. You know what I mean.. boring standard opinions.

You can't pretend that it wasn't the majority's and complying people's fault.. that things are.. how they are. The situation is really bad, and it will get worse.

Let's see if enough people manage to evolve despite living in a supressing society and government.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It does get a little old, AA. My views tend toward right of center on most issues, but to call me a "sheeple" or even infer such would be a mistake. Because I may, or may not, agree with "mainstream" opinion on an issue doesn't make me any more brainwashed than anyone who claims to be an "outside the box" thinker.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
you must also consider the type of person who uses name calling to cut of debate or to silence people who don't just blindly follow their lead, so who then is the sheep, bleating to drowned out descent.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I hate sheeple.

It's just as derogatory as any expletive. I suggested its banning just recently in another thread.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It's an important word, as derogatory as it may be. I refrain from insulting people on this forum, it's childish. I suppose there may be alternative words but banning it is silly and repressive. Pretending sheeple don't exist won't make them go away...

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I agree, I also find the term derogatory and highly offensive, having been on the receiving end let me tell you that it serves no purpose other than to humiliate or offend. It clearly does not highlight any intellectual or moral high ground, quite the contrary... In a place where we echo and promote understanding and mutual respect I find this word a bit hypocritical of those two virtues. There are other ways of getting your point or argument across without insults. Funny also how few fail to realize that if you build a certain type of community here on ATS and ridicule others who disagree with... guess what that creates, a certain crowd which thinks alike, dare I say it...

Just my .02 cents of course...

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Sheep are cute...I'm not offended at all when I get called that. But I'd rather be called something more reptilian.....

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingman77
It's an important word, as derogatory as it may be. I refrain from insulting people on this forum, it's childish. I suppose there may be alternative words but banning it is silly and repressive. Pretending sheeple don't exist won't make them go away...

Calling people who are giving there opinion that moronic word will unfortunately make good honest independent thinking people go away. It is childish and demeaning as well as showing no intelligences what so ever. Does somebody actually think they are going to win a debate by name calling? It is a act of desperation.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Realistically there are people that tend to follow authority figures, overlook their mistakes and make excuses for their lies. But calling them sheep serves to do nothing but create animosity.

On the other hand, it also serves no purpose in labeling those that "question authority" as traitors, turdblossoms, tulipwalkers or any of the other names that are used to berate liberals.

It's human nature to make broad generalizations but expressing them in derogatory or demeaning terms just shows what a moron you are.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I say ban the sheeple 1st, then we wouldn't have a problem with the word sheeple.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
sheep is a excellent term for people tha6t will blindly follow something
even if facts ect are given to them

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
To an extent, I do think it is an overused term, much like the liberal and conservative terms. Those two terms get thrown around so much that few, if any, can really tell you what a liberal or conservative is.

The term "sheeple" is a term that was coined for people who believe everything that main stream media,religion, et cetera, tells a person, lock, chain and barrel. I do think that it certainly does apply to some individuals.

I have a roommate who doesn't see how anyone can believe that the government would do anything against the populace. I call him a "sheep." He asks why. I tell him that he is a "sheep" because he believes everything someone tells him.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Actually, it comes to my mind that name calling on a forum is much like an actual altercation with another physical presence. Whomsoever is so limited in the depth, length and width of their philosophy or their current argument and throws the first punch is the real loser. And so it is with the term "Sheeple" ... Or any other pejorative, for that matter.

If you have a stated position and are unable to defend it without resorting to name calling, then the big "L" for "Loser" goes on your forehead, as far as I'm concerned. And I, probably like many others, tend to not be involved in those types of discussions. So ... In a way, it tends to weaken the ATS community when, for your lack of skill or knowledge, you drop down to calling "PEOPLE", "SHEEPLE".

It is childish, tawdry, and shows a clear lack of ability on your part to partake in the very debate system you are trying to involve yourself in.

After all, resorting to name calling and physical altercation is the way of folks who just don't have what it takes to be effective.

I don't think we should ban the word, but when someone uses it in the heat of debate, or in anger at someone else for not being pursuaded to their point of view, the person who uses it should get a big purple petunia on their signature block so that everyone else knows they can't hack it or run with the big dogs.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
sheep is a excellent term for people tha6t will blindly follow something
even if facts ect are given to them

Maybe but who is the one to designate somebody a sheep? A person you are having a debate with is a poor judge for determining that.

thats what this is all about. Ive seen emotions run high in the debates here on ATS, and nobody wants to loose. Resorting to what I consider the ultimate insult in my opinion means you already lost.

there are very few if any actual sheep on ATS. A person being designated as a sheep would not bother coming to a site like this and trying to show all us lost ones the way back to the flock. We are lost to them every bit as much as they are to us so why is it appropriate to call somebody on ATS a sheep? worse yet why is it appropriate to turn the word into a childish word like sheeple? I say again The word has no place on ATS.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, what would you call people who follow blindly and continue to follow blindly at any cost, no matter what happens, no matter how obvious, no matter how bad things get, how unbeleivable things seem and these people still rally around refusing to see the truth?

Cult members? Because it is cult-like when outsiders are all experiencing and realizing things that are wrong in this world, and yet that minority circle of people still rally? What is that? "The Cult "??? And what happens to cults?

I think the terminology "sheeple" is respectful.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It doesnt mean anything. Its like facist. Who's a facist? Anyone who doesnt agree with me apparently. Who's a sheep? Anyone who doesnt agree with me.

It would be fine if it was only used when warrented but take the countless global warming threads for instance, everyone denying it get called sheep by everyone buying into it and vice versa. They are also both facists apparently. Who's right? Whoever gets the word out first? Whoever denies it inadvertaintly proves it?

Its all so stupid. Like a quick draw or claiming he who smelt it must have dealt it.

But dont ban it. Dont ban anything. First its word then its an idea then its a person then its a group of people.

I wont support any CBSesque Imus firing. Unless the word sheep is losing so many sponsors its no longer profitable. Then we have to let it go

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The majority of people are Followers
The ability to even have a fruit cake with followers is common, ie the antichrist character in florida presently.
the ability to be brainwashed is well documented.
Einstein said the universe and stupidity are infinite, I would add that the sheeple condition is universal to man.
Inforwars is correct.
There is a war on for your mind.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
There is one thing I love about the term "sheeple". 9 times out of 10 (actually, 10 times out of 10 in my observation, but I figured I'd give myself some wiggle room
) the person calling the other person "sheeple" is doing so because that individual won't toe the line and agree. It's ironic, hypocritical, sad, and often makes me laugh when I read it.

Don't let it get to you; if someone's resorted to calling you "sheeple", it probably means they have no argument that can be based on facts and they are going to try to shame you into agreeing with their weak position.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join