It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stop Snitchin' Movement

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
[ quote]Originally posted by truthseeka
I'm not paid to do any of the things you've listed. Cops are paid to "serve and protect;" it is often unclear who they are doing this for.
It’s not about being paid. It’s about doing what is right, it’s about doing ones duty. Every member of society is duty bound to help with the protection of said society. That is why we have it is against the law to obstruct the law.

Cops don't have a hard time catching criminals; tips from snitches, er, "confidential informants
" give them most of their info.

So this is a bad thing how? If you live in a low crime area it would seem that the “snitches” are doing a good job.

Their bias makes people in certain areas mistrust them, which leads to not helping them.

This will only lead to a higher crime rate, and more needless deaths.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk
It’s not about being paid. It’s about doing what is right, it’s about doing ones duty. Every member of society is duty bound to help with the protection of said society. That is why we have it is against the law to obstruct the law.

American society is far from a utopia. If it were, the stop snitchin' movement wouldn't exist.

So this is a bad thing how? If you live in a low crime area it would seem that the “snitches” are doing a good job.

Exactly. The cops, who are PAID to do this, are being shown up by the UNPAID snitches, as you say.

This will only lead to a higher crime rate, and more needless deaths.

Well, it is what it is. Law of the concrete jungle.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
American society is far from a utopia. If it were, the stop snitchin' movement wouldn't exist.

WTF, things aren’t perfect so let’s make them worse? What kind of argument is that?

Exactly. The cops, who are PAID to do this, are being shown up by the UNPAID snitches, as you say.

The paid police are there to enforce the law, unpaid people call the cops to let them know that something bad for society is happening. The cops are not being “shown up” by anyone, they are being helped by people that realize that sociopaths roaming the streets with guns is not a good thing.

Law of the concrete jungle.

Cut the crap. The stop the snitch campaign is a shtick to sell CD’s and earn street cread by people that only go on about this so they can make millions of dollars telling this crap to kids.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk

Exactly. This is part of living in a society. I don't think we citizens have an obligation to actively go out and hunt down people who are breaking the law, but I do believe we have a societal obligation to help if we can.

Just as members here are requested to use the complaint feature when we see the T&C being broken because the staff can't be everywhere at once, we, living in a society and taking full advantage of that societal structure, have an obligation to help make the whole work better. And those who shun that obligation, in my opinion, are using the society for its advantages, while not doing their part to keep it operational.

If a person has ever gotten a student loan, ever been on welfare, ever taken advantage of a social program and yet aren't willing to do their part to uphold the structure that has helped them out, because they don't get paid to do it, well... That's clearly just lame.

And "getting paid" isn't the only measure of one's job. No one pays parents to raise children, yet it's one of the most important jobs there is... Is it ok to neglect your moral obligation to raise your children to the very best of your ability because you "don't get paid" for it??? No. You (we all) have an obligation to contribute our part to the society in which we live and from which we benefit.

Some dumb lady once left her purse sitting on her car as she went back inside to get something. I happened to be walking down the street and saw 2 teenagers run up and grab her purse and run off. By the time I got close to her house, she was back out and realized her mistake. I offered to identify the kids because I got a good look at them. Turns out she was packing for vacation and her purse was loaded with cash. Our quick action made it possible for the police to catch the kids with the purse AND the money and I identified them as the ones who snatched it.

Yeah, the lady was stupid to trust people and yeah, maybe I'm a "snitch" and I honestly hated to see the kids get in trouble and I didn't want to get involved!... But it was the right thing to do. Sometimes you just have to listen to the voice inside and obey it. Do the right thing.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is the one of the more insane things that the public is perpetuating, and the results are going to be disasterous. What kind of idiot it going to be uncooperative with the police to find a serial killer?

I dont know what it is about helping someone in this capacity, but for some reason, a certain demographic doesnt feel compelled to help. I cant begin to think what kind of mental makeup it would take to be so ignorant.

Cam-ron was ok before this, but now he just plain sucks. Get your head out the hood and be normal.

If the community didnt have this attitude, then maybe we would know who killed Biggie, 2Pac, Big L and the countless other rappers that have been slain and had their cases unsolved because of a communities unwillingness to be good citizens.

This makes me

[edit on 8-5-2007 by Don Wahn]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
They are just guaranteeing that the hood will stay messed up, and the only people living there will be the vics, the perps, and self-centered snots that are indifferent to suffering in their own community.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Don Wahn
What kind of idiot it going to be uncooperative with the police to find a serial killer?

Someone who is so angry and feels so cheated by the police and by society that they think withdrawing their "support" might make a difference or will "show them" a thing or two. Someone who feels completely powerless to function and be treated fairly within a society they feel has abandoned them.

I think I actually understand where this is coming from. I think these people have the idea that other people (white suburbia to be exact) ARE treated fairly in life. They are under the mistaken notion that other people have it so much better than they do. They're angry. They're resentful. They feel cheated. And this is the only way they can feel an amount of control or power. They may not be able to get the police to treat them fairly, but by God, they can choose whether or not to help the police.

But their attitudes and behaviors don't help the problem, only add to it. Like dr_strangecraft says, they're guaranteeing things will get worse and worse. Instead of helping their communities, they've given up on them.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join