It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever heard of a MUMMER?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
What a strange word! Mummer

I've heard from my relatives this little custom:

People in Newfoundland, and parts of Cape Breton Island - Canada, would celebrate Halloween without the kids. The adults would go 'mummering' around at night to their friends places.

They would dress up in crazy costumes and 'party-hop' from house to house; drinking, feasting, making mischief, above all having fun.

I'm sure the roots of this custom lie deeper, and probably derived from the European culture; possibly having pagen roots?

Mummer Definition

A little Music Treat!

Have you ever Mummered?

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I always thought a mummer was someone who went around and did little plays, like the commedia dell'arte. Interesting.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I always thought a mummer was someone who went around and did little plays, like the commedia dell'arte. Interesting.

They do! I agree.

Just found this after you posted:

Mummer's Plays

It's interesting to see how traditions are 'carried over' to different extents (branching off), and how people celebrate in other ways.

My relatives never mentioned about conducting elaborate plays to the extent of my posted link above, but rest assured, (giggling now) that those who dressed up in costumes and went partying from home to home, probably 'played' a good deal in merriment!

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I'd never heard of this but it sounds like fun.I have heard the song before and was quite fond of it but never knew who sang it or the name of the song.Interesting find Duckster.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I've heard the song..

"Mummers Dance" by Loreena McKennit.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I've included it with my OP.

Just click on the 'A little music treat' to hear it it!

top topics

join