It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surgery for my Ailing Mouse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
My mouse has been sick for quite some time.

I have a 5 button Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 mouse.

Symptoms were that every now and again when the left button was clicked, it would click several times at once. Fresh batteries seemed to help at first, as I though that maybe the batteries were too weak for it to work properly. But again having problems only a week later, I knew that it wasn't a bettery problem.

I always intended to replace the mouse, but had grown attached. Hey it's the only pet I have ever had (in the last 2 years anyway) He was quiet when I wanted to sleep at night, didn't eat me out of house and home, always stayed right where I left him while I went out, and was always happy to see me when I return.

So, I really did not want to part with this rodent, who for all intents and purposes had become part of my family.

So after enduring his illness for about six months, I decided to operate. The cost/benefit ratio of sending him to the doctor or hospital would be a financial burden so I had to take matters into my own hands.

So I gathered my sodering iron, #2 phillips screwdriver, this long pointy thing that I don't have a name for, a cup of coffee and my cigarettes.

After a short prayer, I pulled the plug on this fur-less critter. I held my breathe as I removed the batteries. I then removed the screw from the bottom. A piece from the top fell to the floor.

(now starts the tricky part)

Carefully I pried the two halves apart. (They didn't just fall apart, but weren't exactly welded together either, but did require a bit more force than I would have thought necessary to seperate them)

I saw what needed to be done at this point. There are small ( 0.2 inch ?) square switches for all the buttons. I saw the one that needed to be changed, but the pc board would have to come all the way out. Also at this point, I saw that I could use either of the side buttons as a replacement. (I never use those anyway. Must be like a cancerous growth to my furry friend)

So now I endevoured to removed the pc board. Let me just say that it is put together more cleverly than those "Chinese Puzzles" I remember from my youth. I saw three screws there. I removed them, but the board would not give way. So I look for what could be holding this electronic marvel together. Okay, I now decided I should remove the scroll wheel. It appears to snap into place by plastic retaining clips. Okay done. Still hung up. Maybe the battery terminals are the problem? I can desoder them from the board. While my soldering iron was heating up, I somehow managed to seperate the board from the housing. A couple of plastic pieces fell to the floor. Fortunately nothing was damaged at this point.

When my sodering iron was hot enough, I carefully unsodered the bad switch. I hadn't realised until now how much my vision had changed over the years. I might have to use a magnifying glass, or get reading glasses to finish the task. But I found that using a brighter lightbulb in my workspace was sufficient help, to enable me to finish the task.

I am desoldering the replacement switch as the time. Darn a dual sided pc board, this could be a little tricky getting this one out. A little back and forth motion whilst I applied heat alternately to the two leads and finally, voila! it came out.

Okay reinsert it where the bad switch came from. Making sure that it firmly seated. Ok. Done.

Now the reassembly of the dozen pieces I have before me. Yikes!

As I said before, I was not sure exactly how the board came out, so how to put it back was a bit of a problem. It looks like it should fit like this. I start on one end wiggling it back and forth, but could find no purchase. Hmmm. A good drink of coffee and a cigarette later, I tried again.

SNAP!

Uh oh, that didn't sound good. Several very small pieces fell to the floor. Upon inspection, I found that the button under the wheel had snapped apart. I don't use that much, anyway. Good thing too, as it is different than the other switches and I don't have a replacement for it. I could get by just fine without it.

After lamenting for a bit, I finally succeeded in reassembling the board back into the unit. Now for another trick. Replacing the screws. There were two that were very small. Much smaller than the switch that I had replaced, and one was situated in a hard to reach spot. I tackled the hard to get one first. The first attempt failed, the screw fell hopelessly to the floor. With my eyesight it should take the better part of an hour to find it. LoL. I proceeded using the second small screw and succeded in securing the hard to reach location. After finding the lost screw (no more screws loose here..lol) and replacing it, I was now ready for the first power up after this minor surgery. The cursor moves aroiund on the screen in proportion to my mouse movements. So far, so good. Click a few links here on ATS. Ok, good.

Now for the final test. This is where the problems affect me the most - - Photoshop. Ok good when I make a selection, it stays selected. It has been ages since it had done so. Usually while my mouse was ailing, I would have to go to "Edit" and to "Deselect"

A few more test to be sure that the operation was a success.

Satisfied, I put the jacket back on my mouse. He is so happy now. If he had a tail, I'm sure he would be wagging it.

[edit on 5/3/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
DARN!!!

I really think I would have just bought a new mouse for around 30 dollars...

At 20 an hour, sounds to me like you went in the hole...

I just got the new Razor Mouse. I got it for it's accuracy as you got me hooked on graphics and now all my friends have me doing stuff for them...

Fascinating adventure though...

WOW

Semper

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Mec32 - I feel completely certain that if you were to open a mouse fixing shop you would be a billionaire by a week on tuesday.

Nothing in life feels better in your hand that the fit of a good mouse.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

I really think I would have just bought a new mouse for around 30 dollars...

In the days where money was plentiful around here, I would have too. But real life circumstances negates that as a viable option at this time.

I just got the new Razor Mouse. I got it for it's accuracy as you got me hooked on graphics and now all my friends have me doing stuff for them...

How is it? Work as advertised? I had often thought about getting one of those pressure sensitive pads for my graphics work. But as I said in my previous statement, unforunately that idea will have to be put on hold as well.

edit to add...

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Mec32 - I feel completely certain that if you were to open a mouse fixing shop you would be a billionaire by a week on tuesday.

While I am quite handy in fixing things, I don't think that rodent repair would reap such profits. But thanks for the compliment.

Nothing in life feels better in your hand that the fit of a good mouse.

It's just that once you get used to things being a certain way, it's hard to change. Every time I would use a different computer where the only mouse available was a generic POS, it would just feel unnatural after having something that has a more ergonomic fit and feel.

[edit on 5/8/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Rodent Health Update

Over the last couple of days, my mouse started acting ill again. But not the recently repaired left click button.

This time the right click button.

ARRRGHH!!!

And you know, while I had it apart the first time, I almost changed that one too, with the second side button (which I never use), but for some reason decided not to.

Probably this weekend or next, I will commit surgery once again. Maybe I'll even takes pics this time. lol

One of these days though, I am going to scrape some pennies together and buy a new one.

[edit on 5/15/2007 by Mechanic 32]

top topics

join