It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A North American war. A possibility?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The US and Canada are good friends, allies and trading partners. Could developments come up that could turn this semi-union into a military conflict? It wouldn't be over something as trivial as hardwood, though that's been a beef. Or fish, or minerals, or beef, or hockey players, or comedians. BUT, what about water. One of the most basic human needs.

Canada possesses 20% of the earth’s fresh water. Half of this percentage is renewable and can be accessed from rivers and lakes. While the rest of it remains untouchable in the form of snow in the north.

Water plays an important role in both Canada and the United states. Both Canadians and Americans are considered to be the world’s most consumers of water. They use 100 gallons per day per person which are mostly lost in toilets and bath drains. Moreover, their usage of drinking fresh water is three times higher than that in Europe. Water also plays an essential role in agriculture in which irrigation is considered to be the biggest user of water. It accounts for 80% of water consumption.

www.american.edu...

That site shows that there has been concern about water for 15 years now.

Also:

As the world’s rate of water use increases, environmentalists and economists argue that fresh water will be the most important source in the next few decades. They agree that many nations will be suffering a severe shortages in fresh water.

So the question is, if this situation gets to a point that the demand exceeds the resource, could it become a military matter to take what is needed?

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I would say YES.

We need to control oil, so we do what we must and invade whom we must to secure our oil.

We need to control water, so we do what we must and invade whom we must to secure our water.

Our country may not enough oil or water for the long haul but we always seem to have enough military might.

It's simply school yard bully tactics, but it works in the everyday world as well. See what you need or want and take it...by force if need be.

And I say until a bigger bully comes along to stop us, then more power to us.

M.Agenda!

PS I will take my fresh water with a twist of lemon...what no LEMONS...well Brazil has A LOT OF LEMONS!...look out Brazil...you have what we want!

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well if water becomes the world's next largest resource I suspect that the US is going to easily maintain it's position as the world's single superpower. Canada could easily put itself in a position to be one of the world's economic superpowers simply out of partial control of the Great Lakes.

But personally I doubt that Canada and the US are going to fight over water. I think we have enough of an understanding between us to work out a compromise that's very lucrative for both sides. But hey, maybe this is how a North American Union is going to come about.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
We are practically already owned if not entirely by the same entities that control and manipulate the USA so whatever plans they have is what will be I guess (. I also doubts Americans would go to war with us over water and if they did I would personally vote to poison it all before we let it get taken but thats just me lol.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I really can't see it being an issue. US and Canada get along well enough, but really it would help us all if everyone in the US started to be a bit more consevative with the water usage.

Shower with a Canadian or a friend or a friendly Canadian...

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The only thing I can see the two going to war over would be resources, not neccessarily water, but whats in the water. A few years ago, a bruhaha over fishing grounds got a little heated. Water, fish, a badly officiated hockey game. Most resources are so carefully covered by treaty and mutual understandings that a war in very unlikely, shouting maybe, but shooting? Naaaah...

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If freshwater becomes so scarce, building more nuclear power plants to provide the energy for desalination seems like the best way to go, since the only limiting factors of such a practice, in my limited knowledge, are heat and energy. The resistance to building more nuclear power plants has been very frustrating for quite a while for a variety of reasons, this one [now] included.

Many of us have reverse osmosis systems installed at our homes/complexes, and while we (well, me at least) just use them so we don't have to buy bottled water to drink and to avaoid damaging our skin/hair while bathing (the tap water is perfectly fine to drink... at the moment), I understand the systems also function to remove salt from water.

But water conservation should definitely get more attention, and some of it isn't even much of cost-of-living adjustment at all. I can't, for example, even count how many times I've seen peoples' sprinkler systems running WHILE ITS RAINING. I'm also guilty myself of doing a "load" of wash when there are only a few items to be done because I'm afraid of company coming over and seeing dirty laundry in my hamper. Same thing with the dishwasher, and I know I'm not alone.

But a war over water, well, I agree with the poster that suggested Canada would benefit in enormous terms economically before it comes to that. I also agree with the poster that noted it wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the world to simply poison all the water supplies. I remember a video game from probably 10 or 15 years back that that centered upon a war over water, so even folks in popular fiction have been thinking about it for quite a while.

I do not think the US and Canada will ever go to war over water. In other parts of the world it's a very real possibility, and indeed has already happened. Fortunately, we pretty much have more options available to us than anybody else.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
im sure that with nafta and other "free-trade" deals american companies already own canadian water. i remember hearing about some nafta clause that states that BC hydro-electric has to power california over its own province in the event of a shortage.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Right now you pay more for a gallon of water at a gas station than a gallon of gas and everyone complains about gas prices so it is the next logical step.

top topics

join