It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to deal with liberated North Koreans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Does anybody have any idea as to what would be done with 20 million DPKRers should dear leader's regime crumble. Unlike eastern bloc proles who had a fair idea of the outside, the North has been hermetically sealed for over 3 generations. The culture shock for these people surely would lead to huge numbers of severely disturbed people.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wow, never really thought of that aspect of it. I would imagine if we went in, there would be a huge psychological campaign, dropping leaflets describing the rest of the world, but as for the actual introduction, I dunno.

The country currently is so poor, however, that it would be a while before they could even get a phone line in to get to the internet. In that time span, people could be teaching them about the outside world in a slow, gradual fashion. Maybe, but what do I know, I'm no sociologist...

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
North Korea no oil, no nothing. It�s going to be nuked. None of these problems need be discussed.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
even if the average Kim doesnt quite buy the "great leader invented the universe, peace, love and tractors" line, what are their alternatives. Their entire belief system will be yanked from under them. The re-socialization in Iraq should be a breeze (and it aint) compared to DPKR

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
North Korea no oil, no nothing. It�s going to be nuked. None of these problems need be discussed.

LOL Paranoid much, DD?

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
good
have ya seen the DMZ??? Puh-leez. Powder frickin blue

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL

LOL Paranoid much, DD?

You know I'm right or they wouldn't be developing nuke bunker busters. Little Kim is 200 feet underground solid rock. Plus he's right on the money with this topic culture shock and all it would be to big of a job for any president you think monkey boys going to try it?

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
Does anybody have any idea as to what would be done with 20 million DPKRers should dear leader's regime crumble. Unlike eastern bloc proles who had a fair idea of the outside, the North has been hermetically sealed for over 3 generations. The culture shock for these people surely would lead to huge numbers of severely disturbed people.

I'll tell you this...........no one knows what to do.

That is why the s.koreans don't prefer to reunite now. The best bet would be to send information to the n.koreans about the outside world before the regime collapses. The n.korean govt. has already lifted the ban on s.korean pop music, its still a long way to go of course but the s.koreans themselves are hoping little by little that the n.koreans are receiving free information. That don't really mind that much, they are pretty patient about the slow like a slug progress to reunification. And yes they do drop leaflets to the country, they tie them to a ballon and send it to the n.korean direction.

If the n.korean govt. does suddenly collapses with the 22 million ignorant n.koreans I wouldn't worry much anyways. Most of them will probably be too joyous to have lasting cultural shock (that is if the country unites peacefully, if it was united by war then it would probably be a different matter).

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
but surely despite its' professed desire for union, Kim will do everything to thwart this. What's in it for him? (and after all that is the ONLY question in NK)

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Anyways when you said the n.korean govt. crumbling I saw it as Kim Jong-Il getting killed and no one to replace him so their govt. just collapses. So I didn't really take Kim into account.

Now that I know what you meant, I'll give you a better answer. Kim would most likely run and hide, organize the red youth guards and the worker-peasant guards and start a guerilla campaign against allied troops.
Despite all the brainwashing I think the average n.koreans are more patriotic about their country then they love Kim, if they don't see the u.s. as a threat to their country then most of them will probably just move on and try to modernize their nation. So if the u.s. doesn't start the war, and just let the govt. collapse on its own, they will only have to deal with the red youth and worker-peasant guards and not the entire population.

[Edited on 2-1-2004 by gooking]

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I say nothing happens.

Set up an program to allow the professional, commertial, and entertainment markets come in bite sized chunks if it's going to be such a big deal.

Last time I checked, no one died of a culture shock.

But it may not nessisarily (man I can't spall..:duh
be good for them. Let them decide if they want McDonald's at every corner and levi on their asses

new topics

top topics

join