It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next generation toys read brain waves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Gaming industry working with brain wave-reading technology. Technology makes video games more mentally stimulating.

The player maintains focus by channeling thoughts on any fixed mental image, or thinking specifically about keeping the light sword on. When the mind wanders, the wand goes dark.

www.cnn.com...

This is the first time Ive heard about this and appearently this technology is a prototype long in the making!!!

Im getting a mixed reaction on this...is it good or bad what do you guys think?

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think it's pretty nifty myself. I'm a big sci-fi freak and I love all the new tech that is like my favorite stories come true.

This technology is very primitive and obviously won't be able to do much more than be a weak kind of toy for some time to come. I'd be more worried about applications the military might use it for when and if it is improved into something more than a kid's plaything.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This technology would be great for teaching kids how to concentrate, esp. the ADD ones. Imagine being able to teach kids to overcome their difficulties with concentration without medication! I've also seen another use for this technology and it's a Head to Head type of deal(no pun intended). Basically you sit facing your opponent and each is strapped up with a brainwave detector and they have to try to move a magnetic ball towards the endzone by concentration alone. I've heard it's quite difficult as it requires absolute concentration in order to move the ball and that is complicated by your opponent trying to do the exact same thing.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Imagine being able to teach kids to overcome their difficulties with concentration without medication!

Great idea and good point. Physician would never allow that to happen. They would lose too much profit off the decline of medicane use.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Great idea and good point. Physician would never allow that to happen. They would lose too much profit off the decline of medicane use.

Ritalin isn't that lucrative. I have ADD and take ritalin when I need it(Interview, Test and Exams mostly). One months supply only costs like 20 bucks before insurance kicks in. After that it's only a few bucks. I would think they would make more money from Biofeedback treatments as it's more time consuming then just popping a pill.

[edit on 3-5-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
There are many other meds that are perscribed. Actually Ritalin is not used very much any more. There are much safer alternatives.

All medication is lucrative.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Good way to condition the young to have their thoughts read, then eventually controlled.

Remember that most technology that they throw out to the public is several years behind. That means that what we are seeing here, was probably available years ago, and what they are capable of now, is probably way past this.

Guess they could not wait any longer.

top topics

join