It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study identifies gene linked to longer lifespan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Study identifies gene linked to longer lifespan

www.reuters.com

By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Scientists have known for seven decades that mice, dogs, fruit flies and other animals given diets bordering on starvation tended to live up to 40 percent longer than their better-fed cousins.

Now they think they know why.

They identified a gene in roundworms on Wednesday that directly links calorie restriction to longer lifespan.

The researchers, led by Andrew Dillin of the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, California, said a gene called pha-4 plays a role in gut development in embryonic worms but in adults is associated with calorie-restricted longevity.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Let's start to eat only water and bread.... we could live longer!
Seriously, if it's true should we revise all nutritional info? Advising people eat less live longer? All fast food chains will be pretty worried!

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If its a choice between a longer life and a good porterhouse steak I will take the steak every time.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Interesting find, I occurs do take care of my caloric intake, good food do not hurt anybody, bad food choices is what is keeping the pharmaceutical complex making so much money.

I think is a matter of making the right choices when it comes to what we put in our bodies.

new topics

top topics

join