It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some debunkers attack others views constantly?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Yeah thats right Im asking some of you very persistant Debunkers out there why you feel the need to convert everyone too your line of thinking? I mean if you are so right the facts you present should speak for themselves yet a few of you not all feel that attacking or belittling the person is the best recourse. Why is that? I mean most who post new or differing ideas or what they percieve as discoveries rarely go all out to try and convert others to their thinking rather they present what they have as evidence or ideas and throw them out there for all to decide. Yet we have the same types attacking and belittling and in some cases constantly in threads. I know if I believe something is bunk I move along without feeling the need to bear a cross to soil the persons credibility. Some of you are very cowardess while others are quite elequent and polite. So what gives? I would really like to know.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Dude, just throw on blinders. Smile and say thank you. There are schmucks everywhere, and you can't get away from them. They will show up on a deserted island on Christmas day just to tick you off. Such is life, and the challenge makes it fun.

I work in a corporate environment, and i swim with the sharks everyday. Sometimes when you are getting screwed, you just gotta grin and say "Thank you, this feels fine to me". Does that make sense?

Your honor is duly noted, however.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Its a good thing, both sides present. Think of it as checks and balances, yin and yang.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by greatlakes
Its a good thing, both sides present. Think of it as checks and balances, yin and yang.

Agreed and I wouldnt have it any other way. However the tactics employed by some is the real question Im wondering about. I wouldnt want a world filled with same thinking minds it would be boring and nothing new would make to the light of day. My question is for the overzealous and more animated types which have been running around lately.
Take folks like jra. He is very polite/respectfull when debunking yet delievers his info quite well and without insults or rederick and offers one heck of a good argument without the nasty behaviour if you follow my meaning.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Hey thanks Mr Bigfatfurrytexan and if in my short time on this forum I have managed to upset you then on a human level I do apologise (but reserve the right to differ)

Kind regards Mr Schmuck :?)

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Because we're power-mad megalomaniacs who can't rest until the entire world is looking at stuff our way.

Science? Logic? Reasoning? Mathematics? All of that a smokescreen to obscure our true agenda of enslaving the world in banality and vanilla blandness.

Resistance is futile......you will be debunkimated....

[edit on 3-5-2007 by MrPenny]

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatlakes

and some of them fight and insult so much they can't even recall their insults even from yesterday.

Like I got called a troll yesterday.

as far as i know a THEORY never hurt anybody, nor the discussions around them!

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It's like that TV show, Highlander.

In the end, there can only be one...

The facts that you invented and conflated to support your ridiculous theory clash with the facts I invented and conflated to support my ridiculous theory. If your imaginary facts conflict with my hallucinatory theory, there must be something wrong with you.

Conflation - putting 2 and two together and coming up with twenty2.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I think when you look at each of the extremes in any argument, one side is rarely any better than the other.

I have noticed on this site, that if you disagree with someone, they attack you as though you are part of some [imagined] group, who makes it their business to go around pulling the ideas of others to pieces. You know? The "skeptics", the "debunkers", the "truth movement" the "chemtrail crazies"...

I think when you start to fall back on catch all terms, all you succeed in doing is negating a whole bunch of individuals, with individual perceptions. You pigeon hole people, and by extension start to see them as all the same. Same way of thinking, same motivation, same desires. I don't think that's necessarily true.

To my mind, it engenders tribalism. It's not a million miles away from the use of certain racial epithets. Instead of the colour of our skin being that which makes us different, it's the way we perceive our reality.

It's depressing how quick people are to fall into an us vs. them mindset. It appears that being seen to be right [by whichever peer group you subscribe to], is often valued above actually being right. It allows us insight, I believe, into why exactly we as people are so easily led into situations we do not desire. It is this mindset that divides us, and this mindset which allows us to be so easily conquered.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I guess they have the right to since others are attacking their views.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
debunkers are needed up here it seems to me! SOME of those guys are really smart ! They dont just pretend to be. Alot of the post of some of the guys like those from Byrd ( i hope its right spelled) are really googled an researched to the bone!!! i personally doublechecked alot of them (on my quest to find ppl who know what they say before they say it) and they are all based on (almost all) facts . So give those 'debunkers' some credit plz. They bring in alot of the reasons people start to debate .

Sorry for the bad english , i'm only just starting to get my english good because of the short-message language post up here

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Debunkers generally don't know the subject matter to any depth and just flat out want you to believe your foolish believing or suggesting the possibility. Debunkers are fools taking short cuts in to subjects they no little to nothing about.

I'm not talking about skeptics, who don't believe or are skeptical and are in need of proof they cannot or will not find themselves. When ever I hear something's debunked I take a closer look as "debunked' is a phony line in my opinion.

Dallas

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by VType
Yeah thats right Im asking some of you very persistant Debunkers out there why you feel the need to convert everyone too your line of thinking? I mean if you are so right the facts you present should speak for themselves yet a few of you not all feel that attacking or belittling the person is the best recourse. Why is that? I mean most who post new or differing ideas or what they percieve as discoveries rarely go all out to try and convert others to their thinking rather they present what they have as evidence or ideas and throw them out there for all to decide. Yet we have the same types attacking and belittling and in some cases constantly in threads. I know if I believe something is bunk I move along without feeling the need to bear a cross to soil the persons credibility. Some of you are very cowardess while others are quite elequent and polite. So what gives? I would really like to know.

Howdy...

My friend...that works the same both ways...

I've been around these boards long enough to see that both sides of any given debate will resort to the same tactics (it's pretty much why I quit posting on any of these CT sites, it's not my style to belittle someone, although I've been suckered into it, I pretty much don't post any more)...

Look around, and read BOTH sides of the argument (I've been on both sides, a Debunker and a Defender), you'll see it happens...

Why does it happen?

IMHO, it's the persons ego, people can't admit when they are wrong or that there may be another explaination for a given occurance...

JMHO...

[edit on 5-5-2007 by Jedi_Master]

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Hey thanks Mr Bigfatfurrytexan and if in my short time on this forum I have managed to upset you then on a human level I do apologise (but reserve the right to differ)

Kind regards Mr Schmuck :?)

Not sure i would refer to you, sir.
I don't have much concern about those matters, preferring to just kind of keep the old blinders on, if you know what i mean.

I have my own reasons for being here. I don't want interpersonal relationships and thus don't pay a lot of attention to matters of emotion on these forums. I just want honest discourse.

Implosion....that is the best post of this thread. Good show.

God bless, friends.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You know, I've come to respect some of the debunkers, because... just like myself, they want to know the truth. Like a lot of people.

I've said this phrase so many times: It's not so much WHAT we say, but HOW we say things - This, in itself, may deter or bring about circumstances to our likings or not.

HOW we respond to debunkers... sets the mood.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Just substitute "Thread Posters in ATS" for "Debunkers" in the quoted paragraphs and you might have an idea of what debunkers/skeptics feel.
There are some wild ideas posted on his website and absolutely need to have debunkers/skeptics weigh in. Don't expect to come up with some lame, crazy, unsubstantiated idea and not have it challenged.

Originally posted by Dallas

Debunkers generally don't know the subject matter to any depth and just flat out want you to believe your foolish believing or suggesting the possibility. Debunkers are fools taking short cuts in to subjects they no little to nothing about.

I'm not talking about skeptics, who don't believe or are skeptical and are in need of proof they cannot or will not find themselves. When ever I hear something's debunked I take a closer look as "debunked' is a phony line in my opinion.

Dallas

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
His question was not Why are there debunkers and skeptics here, It is Why do they have to belittle and abuse and namecall.

I think Jedi_Master summed it up. Ego! Plus some of these debunkers work for the government to do just that-lie/debunk what people know to be true. Not all agents are out in the field spying on us law abiding citizens, they have to sit on these site to hone their skills.

Then there are some people that enjoy and get off by just disagreeing to the point of annoying people, even if they believe what you believe, and this person is what would be called a true coward, because in a face to face conversation they would never say the nasty things they say. Just what i think, anyway

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Why do some debunkers attack others views constantly?

Easy: For the same reasons that those who profess to know the truth attack those who seek to debate otherwise...you know them as debunkers.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The irony of digging up this thread and just finding out the many gifted flame throwing debunks finally ran a quite credible (aviation wise) and well noted personality that Highly contributed here Out. In fact I dare say John spent eenough hours too call it work.
ATS was filled with open minds or at least the split was 50/50 but Wow have things been a changing.
I stated before Johns Aviation credibility and it is undeniable. So the Bunks blur the line between Johns beliefs and his historically documented achievements.
Above Top Secret seems to have a group bent on changing us too Debunk Top Secret.
The amount of folks jumping into threads and calling anyone seeing or believing anything but the spoon fed norm fools is rising IMO. I didnt join this place for the Debunking. WTF????
Essentially now we get Less content and that is Not a good thing.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by VType]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It is our duty to question, and attack verbally for the truth. We don't believe everything that starts with a capital letter and ends with a period.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join