It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Censoring The Wary: Army crackdown on soldiers' blogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
In an interesting turn of events, the Army's Operations Security Regulations (which detail what a soldier can and can't say in public or post on public forums and in blogs) was made available on the Internet today -- on the same day that the Army began cracking down on soldier blogs. While there has always been some censoring and restriction of speech in the military, this is a fairly harsh move designed to shut down the blogs of soldiers who are telling a not-so-rosy picture of what's going on in Iraq and Afghanastan.

The new regulations say that soldiers may not post content to the Internet without first clearing the information with an officer.

www.cnn.com...

The Army regulations (which they hadn't intended to make public):
blog.wired.com...

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Well I guess when it comes to the soldiers when they are in duty they are still the property of the government.

It doesn't sound right if active duty soldiers tells their experiences and what they have done or seen while at war, that information can pretty much be damaging to the image of war in Iraq that the government has been trying to sell for the American people.

When it comes to freedom of speech, our active duty soldiers have none.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well I guess when it comes to the soldiers when they are in duty they are still the property of the government.

When it comes to freedom of speech, our active duty soldiers have none.

Marge the magic words "Matter Of National Security" will be uttered by the prez and that will be the end of it. Just like everything else

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Occurs right on the spot ThePieMaN, what else can the present administration do that can not be done, it has gotten away with almost everything already.

The constitution of the US is nothing than toilet paper for him.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It blog's are not 'viewed' before hand....what is stopping a solgier from posting false/inaccurate information, either rosy or negative.....a false story is still false.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
false story is still false.

I agree and everything else is like ThePieMan said Matter of national security

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
if i understand the regultions posted in the pdf link at top of thread this doesn't just effect soldiers but their famlies dod workers and civilian contractors. i believe that your family should not have too follow stupid regulations like this the family didn't enlist the soldier did. and i speak from experience my dad was enlisted in marine corps i had a friend whoes dad was a navy pilot and we were told we couldn't be friends because officers and enlisted weren't allowed to socalize on that note our mothers stepped in and told our fathers there dumb asses got drafted us kids didn't. but yeah looks like know a soldiers kid is gonna have to get approval to post on myspace this really blows

join