It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sound Chipset Audio Driver Lost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Okies so heres the deal the other day my hard drive took a nose dive in my laptop. (little lesson learned here, it's not wise to put your laptop in a freezer and forget about it)

Any who, so I had to buy a new dern hard drive. Now I can't hear anything from my speakers. If I can remember correctly I had an ESS Allegro Chipset Sound Card in this poor abused paperweight.

Anyone have any clue where on earth I can get the device driver for this thing?

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I would suggest going to your computer manufacturers website. They will more then likely have a setup file with the drivers that you need. Just try and find the driver downloads section.

If you can't find it you can give me the manufacturers name and I will be more then willing to help out with the search. I have just recently had to help my friend out with her laptop as she had to wipe her hard drive, but when she reinstalled she was missing all her drivers.

I also recently purchased a new computer and had to do the same thing and they did have the sound chipset driver as a download option.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well the people at Compaq were no help whatsoever, My computer doesn't even recognize the chipset sound card anymore. It used to be a ESS Allegro audio device. I tried to download a driver for it but it will not load.

The computer thinks that this is a new device that it wants to find the driver for but it cannot find the driver.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Well the people at Compaq were no help whatsoever, My computer doesn't even recognize the chipset sound card anymore. It used to be a ESS Allegro audio device. I tried to download a driver for it but it will not load.

The computer thinks that this is a new device that it wants to find the driver for but it cannot find the driver.

This (Free registration required) or this or this (Software required) is probably the driver(s) you're looking for. If you have them, make sure you point Windows to the right folder when it looks for the drivers. It will try to find them automatically (usually in the System and system 32 folders). When it comes back to you and say that it couldn't find the drivers there should be a browse option. Point the search folder to the folder where you have saved (and unzipped) the driver.

Did that help?

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I figured out what was wrong, It wasn't the drivers after all it was a short in the connection of the chip set on the motherboard that was causing a hardware resource conflict. a tiny dab of solder on the crack fixed the problem and the driver installed great. That and about 7 or 8 other little cracks had to be soldered back and now this little POS is working again. Thanks everyone.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I figured out what was wrong, It wasn't the drivers after all it was a short in the connection of the chip set on the motherboard that was causing a hardware resource conflict. a tiny dab of solder on the crack fixed the problem and the driver installed great. That and about 7 or 8 other little cracks had to be soldered back and now this little POS is working again. Thanks everyone.

Congrats, you've awakened the sceptic in me. And in the Computer Help forum of all places...

Let me get this straight. You opened your laptop and you were able to spot "cracks" in the electronic circuitry on your motherboard? And not only were you able to spot them, but you were also able to fix them with a run of the mill soldering iron? A "dab" of soldering!? And not only were you able to spot and fix the cracks, but you were also able to tell which circuitry was the sound circuitry?! And this helped Windows to Install a driver - even though Windows was able to pick up the hardware, it just failed to install the driver properly?!

Well, now I've heard everything. What I see here is one and one not adding to two. But then what did I expect from someone who puts his laptop in a freezer?

I’ll just move along. I’m not one to pick a fight. Especially not in the Computer Help Forum.
:shk:

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Ok I'll bite

Why did you put your laptop in the freezer?

Gemwolf - I'm in complete agreement with you on the whole soldering thing. It reminds me off the time I welded a plate on the garage door (I'm not a welder) it looked like a bird had a had a rather hot curry. And trust me I only used a "dab".

Not dissing you whatukno, just made me giggle!

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Congrats, you've awakened the sceptic in me. And in the Computer Help forum of all places...

I used a pair of Jewlers Glasses, they are used to magnify quite a bit. the cracks were all over the place, when I turned on the laptop after it had been in the freezer the heat caused the cracks to appear in the motherboard. (or when i decided to repeatedly hit the top of the keyboard with my fist)
For some reason and I still am not sure why, the computer was detecting the hardware as a new multimedia audio device. The "dab" of solder I used wasn't much bigger than this period >.< I used to live with a jeweler, tiny little solders are key in gold smithing.

And I put the laptop in the freezer because I heard that laptops run better cold, and I was being an idiot.

It's alright no fight started, and no ill intent received.

[edit on 5/10/2007 by whatukno]

top topics

join