It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

now the kids get to try flavored meth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Arkansas police officers had seen leftover methamphetamine ingredients just like the mess they found in a suspected cook's trash can last month. What gave them pause this time were the packets of strawberry-flavored children's drink mix next to the bin. It was among the officers' first encounters with "Strawberry Quick," the latest version of methamphetamine, a drug authorities say manufacturers are constantly remaking to keep their customer base growing.

From lollipops to high-sugar sodas, law enforcement officials say they've found meth cut with a variety of candies, drinks and other materials over the years. Officials say the "designer meth" can smooth the ingestion of the drug, making it easier for first-time users to try

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This is pretty darn scary, and even moreso if you have kids.

Not only has this drug been a complete blight on society for the past decade or more, but now these maniacal meth chefs are gunning for an even younger crowd.

I know that if I was still a kid and someone told me that they had grape flavored meth, I would probably have no teeth and living on a streetcorner because this is what kids do. They find something that is appealing to them, and then they do it.

9 times out of 10 they grow out of it because it is a fad, but with meth, they cant grow out of it because they are addicted. This is only going to lead to more cracked out kids, stealing to get a fix and craving nothing more than getting high again. In my opinion, there is little chance for these kids to be successful at life when they cant move forward mentally or physically. They will be in the same spot forever.

This is horrible news.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I've heard of this before, I thought it was something that only happened
in Los Angeles and other major Meth production/use areas.

I have to say I whole heartedly disapprove of this, tricking little kids into
consuming Meth is a very bad thing.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Major not good. I'm not always in agreement with drug laws, but I've seen what Meth does to people and I wouldn't inflict it on my worst enemy, much less a kid, no matter what kind of potential profit or gain or whatever I might be looking at. It's just a shameful, disgusting thing.

Prosecutors need to set out to make a serious example out of anyone caught with this product. The product is poisonous and inherently attractive to childen, so EVERYONE who gets caught with it, even a first time offender who purchases a minimal amount for personal use, should get a child endangerment charge on top of his drug charge.
I would flat out put it on TV if I was running a DA's office- if the cops catch you with this stuff, you will not be allowed to slide like some drug offenders, you'll do every day we can possibly put you away for. If we catch you selling it to kids, we'll try you for attempted murder.

The government needs to react to this HARD and make the potential risks of selling this drug so incredibly high that dealers wont touch it and it will become economical. Some crimes you accept that we can only do so much about, but when we're talking about trying to sell friggin meth to children, you don't shrug it off- you crush it at all costs.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
While meth is a horrible substance, this post is outright fear mongering. The original artical titled "Flavored meth aimed at first-time buyers" is way more accurate of a description, as we now have people somehow thinking that this new "candy" meth is somehow aimed at children, which it is not. The artical states meth tastes bitter and chemical-y, hence this new flavored type of meth. In the article the statement "packets of strawberry-flavored children's drink mix next to the bin" does not mean this is somehow "Meth for kids", that just happens to be the type of product that they chose to do this time( which is not out of place with the other flavored types using soda, or lollipops)

Yes, meth is bad, and the new flavored type may just convince a few more to just "try" it...but c'mon, nowhere are they saying this is aimed at children, but first time buyers(of any age).

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
not everyone needs it spelled out for them to the letter...sure, marketed for first time buyers BUT dontcha think that strawberry flavored kool aide meth, just might induce more kids to try it, or, try it again?

fear mongering? nah

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
While meth is a horrible substance, this post is outright fear mongering. The original artical titled "Flavored meth aimed at first-time buyers" is way more accurate of a description, as we now have people somehow thinking that this new "candy" meth is somehow aimed at children, which it is not. The artical states meth tastes bitter and chemical-y, hence this new flavored type of meth. In the article the statement "packets of strawberry-flavored children's drink mix next to the bin" does not mean this is somehow "Meth for kids", that just happens to be the type of product that they chose to do this time( which is not out of place with the other flavored types using soda, or lollipops)

Yes, meth is bad, and the new flavored type may just convince a few more to just "try" it...but c'mon, nowhere are they saying this is aimed at children, but first time buyers(of any age).

Come on Lord Baskett...I totally respect your arguement, but are you telling me that if a company comes out with something in an obscure fruit flavor, that it is not being aimed directly at children? What about those Pina Colada Camel cigarettes. No adult in their right mind would willingly go and buy fruit flavored cigs, so they are indirectly being aimed at society's youth. I must admit, being 30, I still enjoy these kinds of flavors under certain circumstances, but given the medium (meth), I wholeheartedly think that this is the lowest of blows by meth makers to aim their disgusting product directly at children.

Kids are the main focus of the dealers, and if they can get their clients hooked at an early age, then the money will keep on flowing into their pockets, regardless. However the enticing flavors are an added incentive for the kids to make the wrong move.

This post is absolutely not fear mongering, as we should all be sincerely worried about this development. Maybe the creation of flavored meth was not solely for the creation of new child addicts, but it definietly increses the likelihood of it happening by about 80%.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Meth or Ice as it's known in these parts is bad news, seriously bad news. And this whole kiddie friendly approach to drug dealing is just mind blowingly bad news.

I'm completely with Malaysia on this one - as you land they give you leaflets and there are posters everywhere to remind you...

Drugs are illegal.

Dealing or being in posession of drugs is an automatic death penalty.

That should go double for anyone dealing to kids.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Candy flavored for firsttimers and piss flavored for the hardcore users?

I'm kinda glad that this meth problem is kinda limited to the US and hasn't spilled over to Europe (yet).

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I happen to live right outside of Little Rock, and the methampetamine use/production in this area is unbelievable.

I first heard of "strawberry ice" a few weeks ago, and was almost given the lowdown on how to make it by a well meaning good ol' boy. I stopped him before he got too deep into it - I simply don't care to know how "unbelievably easy" it is to make.

I'm watching my beverages and edibles in public with a sharp eye these days. I have no desire to become an unwitting "lab rat" for some of these dealers/producers.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I happen to live right outside of Little Rock, and the methampetamine use/production in this area is unbelievable.

I first heard of "strawberry ice" a few weeks ago, and was almost given the lowdown on how to make it by a well meaning good ol' boy. I stopped him before he got too deep into it - I simply don't care to know how "unbelievably easy" it is to make.

I'm watching my beverages and edibles in public with a sharp eye these days. I have no desire to become an unwitting "lab rat" for some of these dealers/producers.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Smart General, I'm extremely careful about what I eat and such and never goto a fastfood restaurant (or any other restaurant for that matter) where I either can't see how my food is being prepared or am not 100% certain about the people in the back.

Even with that, I still fell victim to someone slipping liquid X in my drink at a bar (during my first year in the force I worked narco)

It would've been all good laughs, a simple arrest and a slightly pissed of cop afterwards if it wasn't for the fact that I'm allergic to liquid X.

I was in a comma for 2 weeks and ended up a bit paranoid about everything I consume. The simple arrest turned into a attempted murder investigation and the pissed of cop got the only blemish hes ever received on his record from beating the living daylights out of the asshole that slipped it into my drink.

Liquid X and clean XTC are relativly clean chemicals, but in meth and crack they put stuff you wouldn't even want to touch with led lined gloves and a full disinfection afterwards.

Someone slipping you something can have far greater repricusions then most people can imagine.

[edit on 3/5/07 by thematrix]

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thanks for pointing out the dangers of unattended foods/beverages Matrix.

Some of the locals here have told me that this "new batch" of meth is potently addictive.

Some claim just by trying it once, you're addicted for life.

I hope your story helps others realize the dangers of leaving any consumable unattended - even for a moment.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I was born and raised in Detroit and I've seen, first hand, the blight that, first, crack and then meth have caused upon that city. I've seen a perfectly respectable, middle-class neighborhood degenerate into an urban ghetto in the space of a decade.

I've seen property values plummet leaving beautiful brick homes abandoned to deteriorate into burned out hulks or squats for homeless, crack or ice crazed addicts. The worst thing about crystal meth is that it is easy for the dealers to produce and market at costs that are cheap and relatively affordable for even youngsters. Making "fruit-flavored" meth only adds more gas to the fire.

Crystal Meth is a social issue that is rapidly spreading across North America and, if left unchecked, will soon affect us all through crime, economic ramifications and, of course, the havoc that it will cause upon our children.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   
@Don Wahn- 80%?!? Really, so if we put strawberry flavoring in anything, then 80% of all kids will have a higher chance of eating/trying it? Meth is made from the nastiest chemicals you would never consume normally, mixed with an array of over the counter stuff as well...adding strawberry quick doesn't seem like it makes it any more appealing.

If any of you are parents and are worried, then talk with your kids about it. If your child is shown before and after pics of a meth user, and educated about it, chances are that they will turn down the chance to try it if that situation ever presented itself.

According to SAMHSA, an agency in the Department of Health and Human Services, 0.2% of children 12+ in the USA tried/used meth each month(as of 2005).
The majority of users range between 18 and 34 years of age.More than 12-million Americans have tried methamphetamine(as of 2004).

The problem is clearly more adult than child related, alot of people are just jumping to conclusions because the article stated that the flavoring was from a "childs drink mix".

If anything, it looks like it would be aimed more at a female market being pink and strawberry flavored, males make up the bulk of total meth users currently.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I remember seeing a magazine that was showing the "World Weed" competition. The winner was a plant that had been cross bred to have a tastle like cherry's, and had a tobacco/cherry smell in the smoke.

This new generations of drugs is probably the scarriest that have even existet. When these animals can get our children hooked on something like meth with a lolipop. These people need to be thrown under the jail. Why am I not surprised they are from Arkansas.

new topics

top topics

join