It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HD-DVD Code Cracked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It appears the internet users are freaking out over the fact that HD-DVD code has been cracked and is spreading all over the internet at a rapid pace. Digg.com has decided to allow users to post the numbers after taking down stories that included the code. Here is a link to Digg's founders comments in regards to going down fighting even if it means the websites death.

I think Digg has also recently censored 9-11 Truth Stories in the past. Strange behavior from a site that is supossed to be about user generated content.

Do you think that they should keep it up as a freedom of speech issue to bow down to the larger more powerful company?

STORY

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have been following this issue with quite a bit of interest. From an artists stand-point, I would have to say that no, the code should not be posted.

Unfortunately, for the consumer and artist, the recording/movie industry are pushing consumers away with all their DRM stuff, copyright issue manipulation and so on that I think people are just fed up with their antics.
So from that perspective, I say sure, post the code. Perhaps it's time that the consumer begin to force their voice on the recording/movie industry.

The argument can always be made that a consumer can show their displeasure at the recording/movie industry by not buying CDs and DVDs, but really, all you are hurting is the artist. The 'industry' will just jack their prices up, pushing more consumers away, in which case they charge more for royalty fees, which reduces airplay and leaves potential consumers unaware of a great artist/song etc.

The industry just keeps pushing and pushing. Eventually, everything will colapse and they will be left with a struggling industry.

Whew! Sorry about the rant.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm truly shocked that Kevin Smith the creator of Digg has issued the statement saying that he will not take the code down. Knowing full well what type of legal consequences there might be, and that his company could go down the drain. I truly enjoy the digg community and feel that there is nothing better than user generated content.

As far as the industry goes, I'm really tired and fed up with it anyways. Yes, we know that copying DVD's and such is illegal and it's just not right. The thing that really pisses me off, is when I go an pay money to see some hollywood movie, that I have to sit through 20 minutes of commericals at the start. Sorry, but I didn't pay 10 bucks to get bombarded with commericals. I guess this is my rant as well.

Do you think it is a freedom of speech issue, and is Kevin Smith doing the right thing?

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vinadetta
Do you think it is a freedom of speech issue, and is Kevin Smith doing the right thing?

Deffinately not a freedom of speach issue. Should that argument be made, it would be a truly idiotic thing to do. He should not post the code for the same reason someone shouldn't post the access code to the vault at the bank they work at.

Is Kevin Smith doing the right thing? No, of course not. However, I am so frustrated with the way the recording/movie industry has been taking advantage of consumers for so long that I can't help but feel that some small amount of justice is being served.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
actually it is DMCA Take down notices have been ridicules they dont own the copy right to a number. i might as well use no 1 as a encryption key for my own proprietary encryption program and thus making it illegal for any website to have the no 1 posted on it. and further more some one has actually gone and screwed up MPAA plans as they have licensed it under creative commons license (same one that ATS operated under)

thors-news.blogspot.com...

and the talk of copyright infringement hurting the little guy the artist is bunch of bull hokey. most artist make their money out of tours and other promotional events (ie ad campaigns and other event) . they are actually paid a fixed sum for their work for recordings.

so as with terms of creative commons license i am posting the number her on ATS

*SNIP*

thors-news.blogspot.com...

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2/5/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Can someone solve this equation:

To Develop AACS= 4 years + millions $ + hi-tech teams
To Break AACS = 2 weeks + hd-dvd unit($500) + original movie + 2 guys.

How can the industry be so incompetent, becoming victims of themselves.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCFusion
Is Kevin Smith doing the right thing? No, of course not. However, I am so frustrated with the way the recording/movie industry has been taking advantage of consumers for so long that I can't help but feel that some small amount of justice is being served.

What he said...

I don't see what the big deal is though. Every form of media up until now has been copyable, and "the man" is doing just fine. Why should this be such an issue?

And most importantly, until this whole high def disc war is over there isn't going to be any serious profit made. The whole HD v BR is hurting business way more than a stupid code, but that's another story.

To me, this doesn't matter. If I get a bootleg, it means I really didn't care about the product much to begin with, and certainly wouldn't have bothered with it otherwise, so why would I care if the bootleg is in high def or not. If I care about the product and therefore care about supporting the artist, then I get an official copy. Clerks II, South Park, Pulp Fiction, and Hot Fuzz are all movies that I would drop some extra cash for a high def version, and to support the artists. I'm like that with music too. I bought Opeth's new album after I downloaded it. Other than the high talent artists that I enjoy, the industry can go F itself.

[edit on 5/2/2007 by Sunsetspawn]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
OK, I know I'm going to sound like something of an old fogey here but please tell me; now that I have this information what in the name of heaven am I supposed to be doing with it?

I know it's an encryption key of some description but how do I use it and am I a better person afterwards?

(I remember black & white telly when we only had on channel and the test card you know).

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Alex Jones's Infowars.com just posted an article in regards to the Digg Censorship of the HD-DVD Code. I truly argree with this article and in fact Digg is not the great democratic site of user generated content. Here is a little site that i put together in response to important stories getting taken off the front page. Visit

DIGG Censorship
www.diggcensorship.com

ENJOY!!!

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
FYI, it's Kevin Rose. Former star on TechTV before G4 completely ruined all of their programming.

Somebody mentioned that you can't copyright a number...the issue here is that by posting said encryption code they are aiding and abetting those who wish to illegally copy these materials. I'll be very surprised if digg.com doesn't get into major trouble over this. Having said that... good for Kevin Rose. Stick it to the man! Now might be a great time for him to offload his stock too

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I just read the story of the Processing Key crack:

forum.doom9.org...

Very impressive! Congratulation!

I read somewhere here:

www.cs.auckland.ac.nz...

that I will not be able to play a HD-DVD I legaly buy on my realitvly new and not that cheap system (GrafikCard + TFT-Screen). I will not be the only one that hit this trap and in fact one before already did and because of this started the first cracking to be able to see his legaly bought
HD-DVD! That all leads to an interesting race:

www.freedom-to-tinker.com...

However with that processing key now this took an early turn.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Apparently the crypto for blu-ray has been broken as well. If both HD and blu-ray crypto is insecure, this is terrible news, as piracy is the worst enemy of the creative arts and innovation in general. Quantum cryptography, where are you when we need you?

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Fair Warning

From the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use:

Originally posted by SimonGray

2b.) HaXor: You will not use these Forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Short version: don't post cracks on ATS, including the HD-DVD crack.

That said, discussion of the story surrounding all this without posting the crack itself is fine.

Further attempts by some members to violate the T&C or subvert staff action by posting the code in question, however, may result in immediate account termination, so please be careful to avoid doing so.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Sweet, Blu-ray FTW. Now there is likely no chance of hddvd getting more support.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NLDelta9
Sweet, Blu-ray FTW. Now there is likely no chance of hddvd getting more support.

Too bad I'm reading blu-ray's been hacked too.

hardware.slashdot.org.../12/28/0259244

So, uh, why are we just hearing about this now?

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
wow,people make a big deal out of nothing these days. Every media format out has been cracked. Remember the industry making a big deal about home cd/dvd burners? They cried,and that died down,still making money. The dreamcast game console needed no cracking,you could burn one of those games like you burn an audio-cd. It quietly faded away. HD-DVD goes bye-bye. Blu-Ray holds more data anyway. Blue-Ray is cracked too eh? Thats a good thing for sony. Means more people will have acces to and become aware of its products/tech.

It all comes down to money. People are tired of paying $10 and up to see a movie in a theatre,and sit through tons of commercials. Tired of paying $20 for a cd and it only plays in certain players/or screws up your pc (sony). So they download the music,to try it out,play it anywhere. They download and burn copies of movies,to avoid the lines/commercials/ads.

Good for kevin rose. Goes back to the screen savers days on tech tv.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Apparently the crypto for blu-ray has been broken as well. If both HD and blu-ray crypto is insecure, this is terrible news, as piracy is the worst enemy of the creative arts and innovation in general. Quantum cryptography, where are you when we need you?

No, the MPAA and RIAA are the worst enemy of creative arts and innovation.

Remember they are the ones who tried to ban cassette decks and VCRs because it would ruin their business.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'm sorry that people who are rich can no longer get richer than they are now. I'm sorry that those same people have to settle for a Corvette instead of a Dodge Viper. It's really sad to see something like that, it breaks my heart.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Originally posted by uberarcanist

No, the MPAA and RIAA are the worst enemy of creative arts and innovation.

Remember they are the ones who tried to ban cassette decks and VCRs because it would ruin their business.

that is the truth... i co-sign
Quite frankly i'm glad they've broken this "protection".
When i'll buy a HD recorder/player (when it gets inexpensive) i'll be happy to fully enjoy it which is most likely not the case currently (or wasn't until these days)

I remember my first DVD player which i bought in 2001, i couldn't play USA dvds tssss (forbidden..... until i got it cracked)

The problem is not about how we use the A/V devices we buy(and we buy them the high price!), it's more about the content and the way companies sell us their BS daily you know what i mean no needs of a drawing.

Everything in new technologies is positive from my point of view (the net, the dvd recorders etc) we( the consumers) are not an easy target anymore so companies must be imaginative to propose some good content and keep their sales stable...or increase them.
Of course it's probably "dramatic" from the point of view of the companies(specially the smallest ones)...that's their problem not our if they feed us with bad food...

Example:
That's why we've got good shows on tv (and a lot)=>heroes,lost,the shield and so on .Each tv channel wanna eat well(higher audience= higher pub revenue may.. i remind you?) so they propose us good stuff.

Be happy

top topics

<<   2 >>

join