It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Plan Would Halt Trucks Remotely in Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
California Plan Would Halt Trucks Remotely in Attack
Thu January 1, 2004 08:29 AM ET

By Daniel Sorid
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Three years after a truck driver slammed an 18-wheeler into California's state capitol building, lawmakers are considering a plan to link trucks carrying hazardous material to a satellite tracking system that would halt them if they were used in a terror attack.

The trucks would be equipped with devices that would either cut off fuel to the engine or turn on the brakes when activated. The proposed bill would implement the country's most stringent safety regulations for trucks carrying fuel and other hazardous materials, but it faces fierce opposition from local trucking companies who complain that the rules would make California truckers uncompetitive.

www.reuters.com...

Big Brother with a remote....humm

[Edited on 1-2-2004 by Svengali]

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
They've already used it on planes - it would be child's play to use it on trucks.

Home Run used during 9-11 attacks

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Quite frankly, why would this be a bad thing? It's not like it's on all trucks or cars or anything, just the trucks carrying hazmat stuff.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
apply to a Railroad tank car.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
First commercial trucks then your car.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
How exactly would they know when to activate it? It's not as if a terrorist is going to announce �o.k. I'm going to ram this building now!� If it's to do with going over a certain speed limit then that wouldn't necessarily make much difference as the cargo could be set of with explosives, not a high speed impact. Or you could just park it and explode it.

Would the remote device activate the system in all trucks in the vicinity, which could cause crashes, or just the truck in question in which case how would you know which truck it is or what the code for that truck is and how would you get it switched on quick enough?

The only thing it would work for is to disable a truck once it is stolen, but then, how hard is it to get a job as a truck driver?

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
your right, this wouldn't stop any terror attack as they tend not to shout about there plans. I believe this system was developed as an anti-theft device.
Car nicked>phone number>car immobilised>cop find car via sat-tracking.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Yes, and another example of using terrorism as an excuse to implement something.

[Edited on 2-1-2004 by kegs]

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL

In the U.K. they are pushing for such a thing.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The more power that we give to the government, the more we are manipulated to their benefit.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeingWatchedByThem

The more power that we give to the government, the more we are manipulated to their benefit.

Just who is serving who? People need to wake up and fix it.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* * Onstar * *

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
i was a truck driver, and i only hauled the scary haz-mat stuff, stuff that had a flashpoint of ignition if the temp went 10 degrees either way, stuff that is extremely toxic. i believe that in 2001 they could of stopped my truck remotely if they wanted to. the company i worked for had some new system where they could read everything about my truck from the home terminal, but i cannot remember the name of it. thank god i don't do that crazy stuff anymore

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
Yes, and another example of using terrorism as an excuse to implement something.

This, above ALL, is the key point.

top topics

join