It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a few questions about secret societies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Just a few questions to ask some people who know better than myself...

There are many secret societies, nothing to despute there, however, how did they begin and how on earth would someone go about starting one?

They can't simply begin with two friends, can they? For instance the Masonic Society has been around for quite some time, and they have a ton of money.
Where does that money even come from? I used to live near a masonic village, they were loaded! Also, who started that society, and how did it grow to the size it is today?

I am very interested in learning about secret societies and the possible conspiracies outlying them so if anyone has any information I would love to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

[edit on 2-5-2007 by ajw72]

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Many of your questions will be answered in this forum, just start clicking through them. I might point out though the Masons have not been a secret society since the dark ages. Many Masons and non-Masons post here so you can get information from both sides.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
also, from what I understand, all secret societies are based on the Egyptian Secret Schools.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
also, from what I understand, all secret societies are based on the Egyptian Secret Schools.

Yep- I have heard that thrown around from time to time. The problem is we'll never know for sure if there is any truth in it at all.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Open Masonic Thread

This thread has tons of answers there, and plenty of questions have been asked.. look around at this thread and some of the other threads in this section, there is a ton of information.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I favor the extraterrestrial lifeform diffusion of advanced knowledge and control of man's development for its own good theory of secret society origins. I.E., secret societies were started by aliens, who were considered to be gods.

I'm fascinated by this Masonic village of which you write. Where is it?

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Many secret societies were originally nationalists or freedom-fighters who lost their overt battle, and were either driven into the hinterlands, or out of their home territory.

The Orangmen of Northern Ireland

Mau Mau of Rhodesia (modern Kenya)

The Carbonari of northern Italy

The Jacobins of the French Revolution

The Green Mountain boys (successfully became the Vermont Republic 1777-1791)

Others, such as the Bogomils and Cathars, started out as mystery religions or were driven from their homelands or otherwise were underground movements, just like Christianity, Judaism, and Islam started out . . .

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajw72
Just a few questions to ask some people who know better than myself...

There are many secret societies, nothing to despute there, however, how did they begin and how on earth would someone go about starting one?

They can't simply begin with two friends, can they?

Yes. Anyone can form a "secret society".

For instance the Masonic Society has been around for quite some time, and they have a ton of money.
Where does that money even come from? I used to live near a masonic village, they were loaded!

Masonic societies have indeed been around a long time...however, they tend to have very much money. The society is a non-profit fraternal organization. It doesn't keep much money laying around.

Lodges get their income from membership dues (which are generally very low) and fundraisers. Masonic charities are sustained by members' donations, non-member donations, and fundraisers.

Also, who started that society, and how did it grow to the size it is today?

Freemasonry was founded in the British Isles during the middle ages as a guild for stonemasons. Over the years, it eventually evolved into a gentleman's club whose primary objects were allegiance to the ideals of the Enlightenment, and the propagation of charity.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist

I live in lancaster county, pennsylvania and the village is located in Elizabethtown. The Village does indeed have a lot of money which seems to have been around for quite some time.

Also, the masonic lodges around me seem to have acrued a good amount of money themselves.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajw72

I live in lancaster county, pennsylvania and the village is located in Elizabethtown.

I've been to the Elizabethtown Masonic Village for a leadership conference a couple of years ago- what a beautiful sight.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by corsig
I've been to the Elizabethtown Masonic Village for a leadership conference a couple of years ago- what a beautiful sight.

It really is a beautiful place. I have a lot of friends who work there actually. It is a rather large place, and its creating quite a large chunk of change for itself too.

I don't know how people could think that the masons aren't rich. Because from what I've seen at least they are loaded.

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Hmm any information available on this "village" .. sounds absolutely fascinating.. I would surly love to see it some time..

As for Masons being rich, the organization does well for its self mostly because of private donations from its members, and fund raising.. the Masons them selves are generally not "rich" .. middle class is by far the greatest numbers. Not saying there is not rich men in the organization.

EDIT: It apparently looks like a retirement home. Or retirement village.

[edit on 5/4/2007 by Rockpuck]

top topics

join