It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Idol: A Mass Social Experiment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Before you post... understand that this is a serious topic involving mass social experiments so please take it seriously and do not dismiss it just because AI is a cheesy reality TV show.

I have been following American Idol since season 2. I enjoy the show and I'm a fan; but I'm not "fanatical" about it. I don't normally vote (although I have voted solely for the experience). I mostly just watch and analyze from a distance.

I honestly feel that this show is (or has turned into) a mass social experiment. This show has so many interesting twists and turns that it's truly difficult to determine what the agenda really is. What people need to be understand about this topic:

1. A TREMENDOUS amount of money is being funneled through this show because they have the highest amount of viewers than any other show on TV ever (even more than the Olympics).
2. One of the biggest sponsors is Coke. This company has more of a history than most people know due to the addictiveness of it's products.
3. There is more but it's buried in my research at this time.

I have actually done a lot of research and I'm not ready to post my findings yet (although it has a LOT to do with social voting preferences and media manipulation), but I would like to know how many out there share my opinion and are interested in delving further into it.

For those who are interested, please ignore the "cheesy reality TV" concept and take more of an interest in how this ultimately affects mainstream America.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
All I know is that the voting system they have setup is rigged, there isnt a point in voting

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Common form of how our society is degrading to the point of no return. "Reality" TV as they call it. Why can't we just focus our power on solving world hunger or attaining world peace and not the crap they put on tv like this "American Idol". I really do not see how they will be an idol to the american people.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
You need to be a little more specific

What kind of social experiment do you think American Idol is?

Who are the experimenters?

What are they trying to determine?

How are they going about it -- what is their experimental methodology?

What kind of results do they seem to be getting, in your view?

Why should it bother any of us?

It is obvious that American Idol provides vast amounts of data to entertainment companies regarding what kind of entertainer the public fancies and what kind it doesn't. I suppose this information will be found useful in packaging the next generation of fake, media-generated 'pop stars'.

Doubtless AI also provides lots of useful demographic and psychographic information about its audience, and especially that subset of it that votes.

But this isn't 'social experimentation'. It's just data-mining the media for profit.

I suspect you have something different, and more sinister, in mind.

What is it?

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Firstly, I am a huge American Idol fan. I don't vote, but I never miss a show. Maybe it's because I sing.

Secondly, I have had similar thoughts sniggling at the edge of my brain before about AI being some sort of experiment. I think that whatever Simon says influences the vote.

Originally posted by racerzeke
All I know is that the voting system they have setup is rigged, there isnt a point in voting

You KNOW this? Or you suspect it?

Originally posted by Astyanax
What kind of social experiment do you think American Idol is?

Perhaps to see how impressionable Americans are?
To see how many people a TV show could get to vote on something?
There could be many aspects to study.

Who are the experimenters?

The media?
The government?

What are they trying to determine?

See above

How are they going about it -- what is their experimental methodology?

Many times, I see the "judges" pooh-poohing a certain singer that actually did very well and the next day, they've gotten voted out. Is it because the public agreed with Simon or were they swayed by him?

I don't know that there is a scientific methodology. It's an uncontrolled environment. But it would mark a trend or give indications, if not scientific proof.

What kind of results do they seem to be getting, in your view?

I think the public is swayed by these 3 "judges" whose opinion is no better than mine or yours. They're seen as some kind of experts and people don't want to be thought of as amateurs.

Why should it bother any of us?

It doesn't bother me, and I don't necessarily think it should bother anyone, but if there's subtle manipulation going on, I'd like to be aware of it.

p.s. I think Lakeisha's leaving tonight!

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
First off, People really need to understand that any show that puts a tag on it as "Reality" is scripted just like any other show. From the judges throwing fits at each other, to the winners already being predetermined!! The producers have large amount of control over what is happening from start to finish. Everything is done to draw more ratings and keep people involved in the show. The voting is just done so cell phone companies can make money, and the show has more ammunition to sell to prospective advertisers. I do agree with OP and that there probably is something more sinister about the show that it is being used as an experiment or test run somehow. I'm truly interested to learn more about your research.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Here's a few points I will make:

I am already very much aware of the many ways that we are being "dumbed down" by the chemicals that are in the food and water supply.

Huge amounts of the population are on antidepressants (and other mind-altering prescription drugs) and I can give the facts and details of this later, but it's already been proven that this trend has been increasing at an alarming rate over a long period of time.

These drugs are also increasingly being given to school-age children in order to get them doped up at an early age and make them life-long customers. ADHD is not a real disease or condition. It was fabricated in order to get kids on medication. Schools are even rewarded funds by having more of their students on mind-altering prescription drugs.

Source: Neurologist Dr. Fred Baughman talks about the fraud of ADHD and the poisoning of U.S. children

I think that AI could be one way of determining the results of the government's "lab test" in order to see how really dumbed-down we've become.

Take the "Sanjaya" experiment for example. He was an early contender to be voted off the show, but suddenly, little things started occurring that I feel greatly influenced the voters. One is the little girl in the audience, "Ashley" who was crying while watching his performance. In the news, it was stated that she was there crying during the rehearsals and so the producers gave her front and center seats so the cameras could catch it during the actual performance. I think this greatly influenced massive voting from teenage girls all over America. And I think they did it intentionally to see if they could have that much influence over the public.

The "Sanjaya experiment" was completely unfair to the really talented contestants on the stage. And I think they did it in order to keep him there so that some others would get voted off earlier than expected (such as Gina Glocksen).

I think they conduct these little experiments on a regular basis but in more subtle ways. I think each week, they influence the judges comments to see if they can push the public opinion in the direction that they want.

And of course they're going to be subtle about it. They're dumbing us down but there are still a few sharp cookies out here who can pick up on the games that are being played via the media.

I know this may sound like an overactive imagination, and believe me... I would really rather view AI as just a form of harmless entertainment, but everytime I watch it, I just feel like there is something more going on than meets the eye.

I'll add more later... over and out.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
ADHD is not a real disease or condition. It was fabricated in order to get kids on medication. Schools are even rewarded funds by having more of their students on mind-altering prescription drugs.

It's a real effect cause by overstimulation or the need to have constant stimulation. 100 years ago people didn't have this issue, but now there are billions more people, television, music, phones in our pockets, email, etc, etc...

You name it, we can get bad news anytime we want.

In the news, it was stated that she was there crying during the rehearsals and so the producers gave her front and center seats so the cameras could catch it during the actual performance. I think this greatly influenced massive voting from teenage girls all over America. And I think they did it intentionally to see if they could have that much influence over the public.

Ahhh, Sanjaya...I think you're wrong on this one. It was Howard Stern and the website votefortheworst.com (that he promoted) that tried to change and taint American Idol. Simon mentioned it casually a couple times.

What ended Sanjaya's run? Country music. You can read why in my blog, but the bottom line is that country music has a huge fan base. Much bigger then Howard Stern.

I honestly don't think it's manipulated other then the fact that you seem to be able to vote as much as you want.

I do notice the sponsors and THAT I will agree on. The judges have Coke glasses, there are small coke bottles on the couches, the coffee table has a Ford tire right in the center of it, etc, etc...

There is casual (not subliminal) advertizing everywhere.

new topics

top topics

join