It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Closed Societies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
With all the flights being cancelled
Wary U.S. turns spotlight on international flights
www.cnn.com...

And "Zero Hour" warnings
www.homelandsecurityus.com...

Does anyone here think that at some time, the US or other nations could become a closed society?
That is, no one in, no one out?

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Definitely not! That is not what the United States is all about. It's a country who's greatness is - I wholeheartedly believe - a result of the sum of its parts. I see no reason why we should allow anyone or anything to change that. The US is made up of people from everywhere on earth. If we become a closed society then we just undo that. I see no need or justification to allow anyone (be it al-qaeda, our own government, or aliens, whatever you believe) to force us to change how we live and what we believe in.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well said, Djarums.

I agree, it is our diversity that has made the United States great.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
isolation= fewer consumer goods and a lower standard of living
isolation=organised crime and trafficking in goods prohibited by decree or tarriff
isolation (economically) is the antithesis of American economic philosophy. Aint gonna happen. (except in cases where it provides a convenient excuse for defying GATT

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I believe that all that needs to bring the U.S. down unfortunately, is one more attack like 9.1.1. and then we are all #ed. Say goodbye to world empire! And hello to hell!

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Definitely not! That is not what the United States is all about. It's a country who's greatness is - I wholeheartedly believe - a result of the sum of its parts. I see no reason why we should allow anyone or anything to change that. The US is made up of people from everywhere on earth. If we become a closed society then we just undo that. I see no need or justification to allow anyone (be it al-qaeda, our own government, or aliens, whatever you believe) to force us to change how we live and what we believe in.

the united states has a leader that could quite easily change what it's "all about". >_> and i believe that soon, one of those damned leaders just might take the leap.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The US a closed society ?

Well well done OBL and AQ - they have won.

Terrorism - think about the word - they dont have to bomb you - they dont have to kill you - you cower and they win simple.

Che once said (i think) "power comes from the barrel of a gun"

I think Mao said "power flows through a cathode ray tube"

When I watch Fox and see what is going on I see terror and panic - if you give in to this kind of thing then the terrorists have achieved their aim.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Conspiracy, it would be Martial Law, no one in, no one out, police state.

Non-Conspiracy - No way would this happen, the U.S. thrives on its economic relationships with the other countries, closing society would definately affect its power and control.

-wD

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Cool at least some people here think that it "could" happen, plus I am not the only one that believes it "could happen

www.cato.org...

I agree with what you say about the foundation upon the US was built, however, IF things get bad enough there could be a point in time when the goverment could make the choice, and decide to do so.
I was just presenting the idea of a closed society in times of terror and could a country survive. It has happened before and I feel that at some time it may happen again, be it martial law or just "Sorry we're closed"

top topics

join